Season 619: MCMLXXIII

I’d planned to have another go at this one this week (I did it about a year ago for Season 563), and when I heard Marin’s (@ChaosLibrarian ’s) lovely version a few days ago, I knew I had to ask her to take the lead vocal. Happily she obliged, and happily she absolutely nailed it! I used some parts from my backing track from last time, but my baritone uke part and my vocal harmonies are new for this week. Thank you so much, Marin! 🙂

Daniel (SOTU 619) - Elton John cover with Marin Page

Thanks for thinking of me! This was so fun!

I’d planned to have another go at this one this week (I did it about a year ago for Season 563), and when I heard Marin’s (@ChaosLibrarian ’s) lovely version a few days ago, I knew I had to ask her to take the lead vocal. Happily she obliged, and happily she absolutely nailed it! I used some parts from my backing track from last time, but my baritone uke part and my vocal harmonies are new for this week. Thank you so much, Marin! 🙂

Daniel (SOTU 619) - Elton John cover with Marin Page

Very lovely playing, singing, and tooting, you two!

And thanks so very much for all the Daniels this week y’all… oy vey talk about EAR WORM ; )
I wonder if Ralf will bring another version right under the wire.

Edit: new renditions of “Daniel” are now appearing daily in my YouTube recommendations lol

Last edited:
This is another title track, from a Fairport Convention album. This was probably the signature song of the late Dave Swarbrick. I can never sing one of his songs without subconsciously ripping off his vocal style.

The Port Hope Yates hosted Christmas this year. We had a houseful for about a week, family from Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Dundas and Stratford. It was a wonderful time, but they left yesterday (Maggie's birthday) and Maggie and I are kinda glad to have the house back to ourselves. I'm gonna try to get a couple of tunes in here as promised Brian.

Mr. Bojangles - Jerry Jeff Walker (as sung by Bob Dylan)

In 1973, Bob Dylan released his 13th LP made up of out-takes from previous albums. It contained no originals and is considered by many to be the one Dylan album you should take a pass on. I kinda like it.
The first song on side two was Jerry Jeff's Mr. Bojangles.

Brian to the left of me, Joko to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle between Seasons 619* and 620.

I've done this one fairly recently, and Rick's already done it for 619, but it's the only one I've found so far that meets both themes. I'm open for suggestions for tomorrow, if anyone can come up with a second one that you're not planning to do.

It will be 4 hours to 2024 when I post here at the start of the Season. Happy New Year, Seasonistas!

* (I said 618 on the video by mistake ... twice!)

Love me some Billy Joel. This one is fun to play because the song is sad but the chords aren't so much. You have to put that feeling into the way you play I think, or something lol

Trying the double mic set up! Shure SM57s, cloudlifters, right into the Scarlette Focusrite and recorded into Ableton Lite. No effects or filters. Much nicer and more depth! I'll have to play with positioning and camera positioning some more. Almost completely blocked my right hand with the sheet music, oopsie!

Tab by Yuji @UkuleleTime on Patreon and Youtube.
Ukulele is Spuce/Rosewood Pono Master Series with advanced bracing (lattice)
Strings are uke logic low g soft pink

I love Edgar Winter Group’s August 1973 single, mostly from it contributing to the teenage party that is Richard Linklater’s wonderful film Dazed and Confused.

I wish I’d had more time during the past week to learn to both play and sing this one. Hopefully the idea comes across!

Goodbye 2023, and hello 2024 - have the best possible new year, Seasonistas!!

So for some reason early this week, YouTube decided to send me down a "Stacy's Mom" parody rabbithole.

It turns out that the catchy-but-slightly-creepy 2003 Fountains of Wayne bop, sung from the point of view of a young boy fantasizing about his girlfriend's hot mom, has inspired many parody versions, including ones where the narrator goes for other members of Stacy's family - her dad, brother, aunt, grandmom, etc, ones from Stacy's mom or dad's point of view commenting on the situation, and more. I made a playlist, if you should want to lose an hour or two to this extremely niche genre as I did.

What, you may rightly ask, does this have anything to do with 1973?

Well, it doesn't ... but it does have to do with the alternate theme of being age 12. See, I love this catchy song, but could never see myself covering the original, or any of its equally creepy offspring ... except for one - Will King's "Something's Wrong with Stacy's Mom" - a humorous commentary on exactly this conundrum.

In it he mentions something I had also observed: in the original Fountains of Wayne music video, both Stacy and her lustful boyfriend are played by kids ... and they look to be about 12. So this version fits the 619 alternate theme!

As I was working on it, it occurred to me that there was a natural place to throw in an "I don't know" ... so I've shoehorned it into fitting 620 as well.

PS, I had to look up Chris Hansen, mentioned in the parody. He hosted a short-lived TV show called "To Catch a Predator".

Last edited:
@UkeFoote Brian, I wanted to ask you but forgot.
WHERE DID YOU GET THE TEE YOU ARE WEARING IN YOUR INTRO VIDEO?
LOVE IT.
I am hand painting some tees and that caption came to my mind.

Anyway. GREAT Season! Thank you!

@UkeFoote Brian, I wanted to ask you but forgot.
WHERE DID YOU GET THE TEE YOU ARE WEARING IN YOUR INTRO VIDEO?
LOVE IT.
I am hand painting some tees and that caption came to my mind.

Anyway. GREAT Season! Thank you!
Sorry I wish I could tell you. I couldn’t find the receipt but I got it from some online vendor.

Reactions: joo
Top Bottom