Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 629 - Season of the Cuckoo'lele

I thought I should share this series of videos here, Chris. This is NOT an entry.

In March 2019, Jon @mountain goat , Kevin @Mezcalero and I did a series of songs/videos inspired by mental hospital patients. (details in the YouTube playlist)
We recorded 29 songs.
All the songs were improvised, using words by the patients themselves. I drew portraits of them and made the videos.
This is the playlist of all the songs we made.
And here are 3 of them:

I'm sure no one has ever graphed the submission rate of season entries, but it would be interesting to see the initial spike, ramp, then dwindle, and few blips at 11:59pm HST. ( 🚨nerd alert)

I know most folks tend to focus on the new season once it's been posted but give these stragglers some love. It's been a great day of music so far

It wouldn't take much to convince me that I coulda used my brain, experience, and time better, but I had the thought of this chart in mind and the nerd part of me overpowered the sensible part of me. Anyways... if any of you folks like data, here's some. It's a count of song entries by date and user (FYI, the colors and grouping are completely arbitrary).
1710038493538.png

FYI, I'm up to five postcards to paint, as 4 Seasonistas have signed up to host upcoming weeks and one new Seasonista has joined.
There's still some time to keep me busy!

Cheers, all!!

It wouldn't take much to convince me that I coulda used my brain, experience, and time better, but I had the thought of this chart in mind and the nerd part of me overpowered the sensible part of me. Anyways... if any of you folks like data, here's some. It's a count of song entries by date and user (FYI, the colors and grouping are completely arbitrary).

I am curious to see more numbers in terms of the later submissions' views & comments. I don't see that represented on your chart (and in all honesty, it might require too much digging for something like this). But it is something I have noticed.

I am curious to see more numbers in terms of the later submissions' views & comments. I don't see that represented on your chart (and in all honesty, it might require too much digging for something like this). But it is something I have noticed.
ahhhh yes! I recall @Joko describing a way to get YT (i think) to spit out some data from the playlist. Lemme see what I can do!

Haven't seen Ale @UkulAle this week. Hope your week has been a good one, Ale. If you happen to be reading this. :)

Last edited:
Had the pleasure to hang out with fellow Seasonista Jasmine Fellows who was visiting Texas all the way from Australia! Her employer sent her down to the annual SXSW Festival in Austin, and she hopped on a bus for a day trip. One of her life long dreams was to visit Nasa Space Center. So we spent the afternoon there, and out of a handful of songs we discussed, this one best fit and it was her idea to get the space shuttle in the background. Really had a great time, and I wish getting together with each other across the distance was something that we could all do one day! Cheers, and thanks again for the season Chris ~

Postcards for those who signed up as future hosts (so far) are done! Big shout out to @dr_mitch , @LimousinLil , @Ms Bean , and @ChaosLibrarian !

Here's a sneak peak (i don't like spoiling surprises). Can you spot the headstock of your uke of choice? These should hit the post Monday.

Still some time to fill up the calendar, folks!

1000029759.jpg

So of course both videos I posted yesterday contained songs that would have been a great twofer for this + Berni's 630 "home" theme - "So Long, Farewell" and "We're Not Gonna Take It Home, Country Roads". So I've had to find two new ones. The first one I thought of would be a terrible way to start the home Season ... so I'll save that for tomorrow.

So how about a little Billy Joel? This one starts with "the crazy gypsy in my soul", so it fits here.

Plus it features about a dozen crazy cockatoos loudly proclaiming their ownership of this place I call my home. I turn the camera on them at the end, plus you get a behind-the-scenes peek at how I make these outdoor videos.

Thanks for hosting Chris, been a bit busy recently but I wanted to do something for you
because you're a very interactive seasonista and an exemplary host.
A quick cover of the song you played in your season opening post.

Had the pleasure to hang out with fellow Seasonista Jasmine Fellows who was visiting Texas all the way from Australia! Her employer sent her down to the annual SXSW Festival in Austin, and she hopped on a bus for a day trip. One of her life long dreams was to visit Nasa Space Center. So we spent the afternoon there, and out of a handful of songs we discussed, this one best fit and it was her idea to get the space shuttle in the background. Really had a great time, and I wish getting together with each other across the distance was something that we could all do one day! Cheers, and thanks again for the season Chris ~

A massive thanks to Kev for hosting me and suggesting this song. It’s a wonderful story of the serendipity of SOTU. I’m so pleased and proud of our recording.

Thanks for hosting and supporting this opportunity, Chris! Although my participation in this community ebbs and flows with the chaos of life, it’s always in my heart.

Top Bottom