Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Can I just say that the final two days of each season feels like you're just playing music to a void. It's total crickets. I know I didn't suck but, damn, the response on my last vid feels like I did.

Can I just say that the final two days of each season feels like you're just playing music to a void. It's total crickets. I know I didn't suck but, damn, the response on my last vid feels like I did.
I think most of us are just here to have fun, Arvin - well, I know I am - you shouldn't take it personally! It always happens that once the new theme is announced, then entries and comments tail off for the theme that is currently running. It can be irritating for that week's host as well as for any "late" posters ... but that's just the way that things are arranged. (And, on reflection, it probably helps if you - by which I mean "one" - can find the time to comment on others' contributions; people will be more inclined to listen to yours whenever in the week it occurs.) It's obvious that you take your music seriously and what you produce is great ... don't be discouraged!

Last edited:
Arvin, just out of interest can I ask how many of the videos on the playlist for Marin’s season you commented on? I have to say I haven’t looked through all of them but I can’t find one comment by you on the several I did look at. In fairness to Marin she didn’t have to put your video on the playlist at all as it was submitted way past the deadline. Isn’t it a bit of a double standard to bemoan not getting much attention for your vid when you haven’t (as far as I can tell) paid much attention to others on Marin’s season? Fwiw when I put a vid up, it’s always nice to have comments from others. I try as much as I can, to comment on other Seasonistas videos too, it’s a reciprocal thing I guess. But if I get 20 comments or zero, I’m not going to let it bother me.

Edit: I can see that you have commented a couple of times but I think my point is still solidly valid.

Last edited:
There are different measures for attention.
One is comments.
Another is views.

I remember once I spend a lot of time on a video, and posted it on Sunday. According to YT it got as much as 4 views. The average view length so short, that not one of the viewers could have watched it in its entirety - not even the host, who did, as it is custom, comment on it.

As someone who, when I participate, take care to listen to all entries - even if I dont have the dedication to comment on more than a few - I find it tough when no one even listens to the effort you put into a song. It is not only about comments, though they are nice to get.

I agree it’s not just about comments but no matter how much work you put into a video, that doesn’t automatically entitle anyone to people’s attention and to be honest, having a moan on here because you haven’t got the view or “likes” or comments or whatever you feel your work deserves is for me personally, likely to lead to less views, less “likes” and less comments.

There are different measures for attention.
One is comments.
Another is views.

I remember once I spend a lot of time on a video, and posted it on Sunday. According to YT it got as much as 4 views. The average view length so short, that not one of the viewers could have watched it in its entirety - not even the host, who did, as it is custom, comment on it.

As someone who, when I participate, take care to listen to all entries - even if I dont have the dedication to comment on more than a few - I find it tough when no one even listens to the effort you put into a song. It is not only about comments, though they are nice to get.
I suspect TikTok may be responsible for people having the attention span of a gnat nowadays, not to mention Facebook; it's hard to ignore stats, but I had about 1700 followers on my previous YouTube channel which is just meaningless, and reminds me of this meme. I am realistic enough to know there are considerably more talented (and better looking!) people than me whose artistry will never see the light of day on here, or on YouTube, however I think anything over 2:20 is overestimating the generosity of listeners' time.

49823951_1m.jpg

I agree it’s not just about comments but no matter how much work you put into a video, that doesn’t automatically entitle anyone to people’s attention and to be honest, having a moan on here because you haven’t got the view or “likes” or comments or whatever you feel your work deserves is for me personally, likely to lead to less views, less “likes” and less comments.

I agree that the time one puts into making a video doesnt entitle the video to be viewed. But to some extend it is my viewpoint that the time one spends viewing the videos of other members of a community like the Seasons, does entitle one to have a little attention back to ones own bring.

Comparing a "view" to a "like" or a "comment" is probably reasonable for YouTube as a whole. Perhaps I am a moron for wanting the Seasons to be more than that. All (unlisted) videos should in theory have the same number of views, corresponding to the number of seasonistas. Then there might be videos that are public and get views from outside. Or lurkers who only watch a few. But people who participate should listen to each other, just like you wouldnt leave an open mic as soon as your own set was over.
I know that not everyone manages to watch everything every week, but it should be the goal.

While "likes" and comments might be so, views shouldnt be rewards for managing the social scene of the forum right, and proving that you listen to other videos by commenting. Views should be the way we are together as a community.

Just my take on it, but hey, I only manage to play a song every two or three months, so I guess it doesnt count much.

I agree, Mikel! We have, after all, come together to share a common interest, and, as such, we should find the time to listen to one another ... otherwise it just becomes an exercise in self-promotion and has nothing to do with the community spirit that we should be fostering. (And you may only manage to play a song every two or three months, but you have an excuse ... you've got a BABY!)

Arvin, just out of interest can I ask how many of the videos on the playlist for Marin’s season you commented on? I have to say I haven’t looked through all of them but I can’t find one comment by you on the several I did look at. In fairness to Marin she didn’t have to put your video on the playlist at all as it was submitted way past the deadline. Isn’t it a bit of a double standard to bemoan not getting much attention for your vid when you haven’t (as far as I can tell) paid much attention to others on Marin’s season? Fwiw when I put a vid up, it’s always nice to have comments from others. I try as much as I can, to comment on other Seasonistas videos too, it’s a reciprocal thing I guess. But if I get 20 comments or zero, I’m not going to let it bother me.

Edit: I can see that you have commented a couple of times but I think my point is still solidly valid.

I listen to a lot of the videos. The ones I find that truly connects wit me, I comment on.

I try to leave insightful comments when a cover truly is wonderful or I see a lot of effort has been put into it.

This has been a thing on all the seasons and even when I am hosting and not posting any videos.

Hell, I used to comment more but I noticed that there's quite a few that never returned the favor, so I kind of stopped doing so unless it was spectacular. I guess the cycle goes the way it goes.

I think most of us are just here to have fun, Arvin - well, I know I am - you shouldn't take it personally! It always happens that once the new theme is announced, then entries and comments tail off for the theme that is currently running. It can be irritating for that week's host as well as for any "late" posters ... but that's just the way that things are arranged. (And, on reflection, it probably helps if you - by which I mean "one" - can find the time to comment on others' contributions; people will be more inclined to listen to yours whenever in the week it occurs.) It's obvious that you take your music seriously and what you produce is great ... don't be discouraged!

Are you implying that I don't comment on others videos? I've been here for over a couple of years and have always commented on other's efforts and it was usually not reciprocated, so now I only comment on a select few or ones I really, really like.

I can name so many members that have never dropped me a message, so I stopped. I guess what comes around goes around folks.

Shame, but it is what it is. Go back a couple of years and you'll see way more comments.

Anyway, I only do this because it is fun for me. I also do it because I'm learning and improving every week. And I'm going to keep doing it because it doesn't really matter.

Yes, I take it more seriously than others because I want my videos to be something I would listen to regardless if I like ukulele music.

Nobody is entitled to anything, that we can agree on. That said, I've hosted quite a bit of these over the years and it seems the moment a new theme is posted, everyone jumps on that and seems to only be concerned in posting their new song as quickly as possible.

If you think I'm just having a moan, you maybe haven't been paying enough attention. There is a bit of truth in what you wrote and there's a bit of truth in mine, as well. If that leads to watch less of my s** then so be it. I can go to sleep knowing that I put out stuff as best as I could.

Are you implying that I don't comment on others videos? I've been here for over a couple of years and have always commented on other's efforts and it was usually not reciprocated, so now I only comment on a select few or ones I really, really like.

I can name so many members that have never dropped me a message, so I stopped. I guess what comes around goes around folks.

Shame, but it is what it is. Go back a couple of years and you'll see way more comments.

Anyway, I only do this because it is fun for me. I also do it because I'm learning and improving every week. And I'm going to keep doing it because it doesn't really matter.

Yes, I take it more seriously than others because I want my videos to be something I would listen to regardless if I like ukulele music.
Actually, I was being diplomatic in that I made a point of saying "one" rather than "you" when it comes to commenting/not commenting on others' contributions. If you had continued to show a genuine interest in others' videos by listening and commenting, then, perhaps, you would have found by now that you were getting a more satisfactory response to your own videos which are, indeed, impressive. This Forum is about being mutually supportive and appreciating one another's efforts ... it isn't about "platforming." And it isn't a "tit-for-tat" situation, it's about giving genuine encouragement and appreciation through one's comments. (P.S. Since I am NEVER "spectacular" I certainly don't expect to be the recipient of your sparing and carefully meted out "praise!")

Last edited:
The Season always tails off once the next Season is announced. If you’re the current host you know this will happen, it’s no biggie, just one of those things. With all the horrible stuff going on in the world right now a bit of perspective goes a long long way. FWIW I didn’t “think” you were having a moan, I know you were having a moan, my ability to pay attention work just fine thanks. I’ll leave it there, I’ve said all I think I will say on this.

Nobody is entitled to anything, that we can agree on. That said, I've hosted quite a bit of these over the years and it seems the moment a new theme is posted, everyone jumps on that and seems to only be concerned in posting their new song as quickly as possible.

If you think I'm just having a moan, you maybe haven't been paying enough attention. There is a bit of truth in what you wrote and there's a bit of truth in mine, as well. If that leads to watch less of my s** then so be it. I can go to sleep knowing that I put out stuff as best as I could.
you big note yourself since you turned up here. you don't comment on anything but go out of your way to promote yourself. you are a BSer. you don't give a s#it about anyone here but yourself. you have NEVER commented on a video of mine the whole time you've been here. hey bro, actually engage w/ people, not just the ones who can 'serve' you. then you might receive more of what you seek. get out of your own ass.

Top Bottom