Seasons of Suggestions: A Conversation Starter Toward Making the Awesome Seasons Awesomer

But there's already a SOTU playlist. Every week!

I don't really see what you're suggesting here that's new?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems a bit incoherent. Why do we have to be "open to growth"? I might just come here to play another song. What's wrong with that?

Stoneyrun first argued to have the SOTU playlist pushed towards a larger audience than the fellow seasonistas. I assume that since several of us didnt like the idea, he is going for a seperate, more public, playlist.

I dont know how this would work, and I will leave it to those who want it. If people want to, there is nothing preventing them from posting their own SOTU contributions to other subfora/fora/social media or YouTube playlists as well as to the old fashioned seasons playlist.
If I list a video of my own as private, I would just like to have my video only on the SOTU playlist.

Last edited:
But there's already a SOTU playlist. Every week!

I don't really see what you're suggesting here that's new?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems a bit incoherent. Why do we have to be "open to growth"? I might just come here to play another song. What's wrong with that?
I'm suggesting that the talent here making these videos be displayed on the home page in the form of the SOTU playlist(muted by default) with a play button. My, possibly incoherent, thinking is that if the playlist is presented in an elegant, unobtrusive way on the home page it might generate more participation, new user memberships, and revenue for the maintenance and operation of this forum.
Growth is admittedly subjective and was used in the context of accepting that learning is a lifelong process. There has not been a suggestion by myself, or anyone I'm aware of, that anyone has to do anything. Unless @jtsteam feels he must host a "Tim's Favourite Beatles Songs Played Badly" weekly.

Last edited:
Stoneyrun first argued to have the SOTU playlist pushed towards a larger audience than the fellow seasonistas. I assume that since several of us didnt like the idea, he is going for a seperate, more public, playlist.

I dont know how this would work, and I will leave it to those who want it. If people want to, there is nothing preventing them from posting their own SOTU contributions to other subfora/fora/social media or YouTube playlists as well as to the old fashioned seasons playlist.
If I list a video of my own as private, I would just like to have my video only on the SOTU playlist.
I don't argue. I prefer to have conversations. Nothing is private online. If it's within the weekly thread, or on the homepage, it's "out there". It's just a suggestion to add the playlist to the homepage in a way slightly more visual than a link. I respect opinions that differ from my own.

I simply don't understand what is going on here! YES, we HAVE a weekly Playlist and since Edwin made the effort to put up a comprehensive "how-to" post and we have been separated from the "Contest" board by being given our own dedicated board, we HAVE garnered some more - very welcome - Seasonistas. WHY do we need to do anything else? What, if any, are the benefits of "going large?" We already operate perfectly satisfactorily as a group and those who prefer to use the Forum as an information base or a market for used instruments, or simply just to share their preferences in sports, books, TV programmes and films with like-minded people (i.e. those who, presumably, also like ukuleles ... and I have never understood the relevance of this) are NEVER going to be encouraged to join in the Seasons just because it suddenly has a larger presence. They will only be persuaded to join if they can overcome their initial trepidation - or, perhaps, disdain(???) - in order to see that the whole exercise is a lot of fun for those who choose to participate and that they will be welcomed with open arms if they DO decide to take part. In fact, I would go so far as to venture that to turn The Seasons into a bigger "thing" might make it even more intimidating to a lot of people.

Last edited:
I don't argue. I prefer to have conversations. Nothing is private online. If it's within the weekly thread, or on the homepage, it's "out there". It's just a suggestion to add the playlist to the homepage in a way slightly more visual than a link. I respect opinions that differ from my own.

Sorry mate, bad word choice by me.

I was trying to dampen the tensions by suggesting that we can all get what we want, by having multiple initiatives running.

Yeah, it is all out there. Some of us just prefer you have to look for it 😆.

Cheers.

I simply don't understand what is going on here! YES, we HAVE a weekly Playlist and since Edwin made the effort to put up a comprehensive "how-to" post and we have been separated from the "Contest" board by being given our own dedicated board, we HAVE garnered some more - very welcome - Seasonistas. WHY do we need to do anything else?

As Edwin observed here:

Okay, I've read up a bit more now, and honestly it sounds more like a minor tweak than an upheaval, if I understand correctly.

A minor tweak is exactly what I'm talking about.

There are two dimensions to the Seasons: participating and watching. I can't do anything to make anyone want to participate. They either will or they won't. But I want more people watching. That's the sum of it. I'm going to be doing everything I possibly can to make sure more people see your work...

...just as I am doing everything I can to have more people see the Marketplace, the Show Us Your Ukes thread, the New Members Introductions forum, the Ukulele Underground podcast, and every other part of UU.

My guess is that the outcome will continue to be exactly what it has already been: a meaningful number of people will continue to do what they have already done, which is to see the videos and say, "Wow, that looks fun! I think I'll try that too!"

This may shock you Lil, so I hope you're sitting: more people watch the videos than make the videos. :ROFLMAO: And most of the people who watch the videos will never, ever make one. Kidding aside, how could it possibly be any other way?

You can't possibly be suggesting that we restrict the VIEWING of the Seasons to ONLY the people who make videos, so I'm not even going to playfully tease you about that. That's insanity. We're a community site. We want people communing!

As Edwin says, what I'm talking about is a minor tweak, as indeed, your protestations to the contrary, every single one of my suggestions has been from the beginning. ALL of them. Minor tweaks. We've in fact so far implemented (checks notes) ALL of my original suggestions, except one, which I officially withdrew, and the featuring on the front page, which is still forthcoming. I have a full time job in another field, and everything everywhere takes longer than I wished. :)

(That one withdrawn suggestion was to observe that many of you have knowledge worth sharing with the larger community, which some people appeared to take as a personal insult. I still think it's true, but hey, if you'd rather not mingle with the hoi polloi, then of course, by all means, please don't! We're all about choosing your own journey at Ukulele Underground, and if your UU journey begins and ends with the Seasons, thank you! I love the Seasons!)

Not to put too fine a point on it, being "welcoming" seems to me to include welcoming participation in every dimension that a forum exists in: making music, enjoying it, commenting on it, sharing it, and so on. The Seasons have included all of those dimensions since the beginning, and I don't see any reason for that to change, which is why it isn't changing.

All I've done is provide some context for how the Seasons have always worked within the context of Ukulele Underground as a whole, a reality that some people appear to find distressing. I don't exactly understand why, nor do I need to. As I said in my essay above, please feel exactly the way you feel, then feel it some more. But the Seasons are in fact part of a larger whole, and the growth of the entirety of Ukulele Underground has already benefitted the Seasons -- as you yourself pointed out, Lil! -- and the continued growth will continue to benefit the Seasons.

My own bottom line is that I'm proud of what I've done to help the Seasons grow! And I'll be proud to help grow it some more!

Oh, dear, Tim ... I seem to have been singled out for "special" attention! I can only reiterate what I said previously ... anyone on the Forum, wherever they might be, only needs to go to the Playlist to watch the week's videos. I still don't see why it is necessary to "tweak" anything ... people will seek out what they want to find! Yes, I agree that providing The Seasons with its own banner to make it more visible was an improvement, but surely that is adequate. Just to promote change for change's sake doesn't make any sense to me. (Perhaps I have picked up French "attitudes," living as I do in France ... the French down tools and mount mass protests as soon as any mention of change is broached!) I think we will have to beg to differ! As I said previously, what you do is appreciated - especially since it isn't even your main job; for some reason, though (best known to myself), I just find all this unnecessary. PEACE, MAN! And when are you going to come and join us on The Seasons?

Last edited:
But, perhaps more importantly, I am now tempted to have a season on "Tim's Favourite Beatles Songs Played Badly" next time I host. At least as an option :).

As part of my New Year's Resolution to play more regularly, I'm also trying to actually memorize some songs so that I'm not starting over every single time. The number of songs I know by heart...both Beatles songs of course...is rapidly approaching (checks notes) TWO :ROFLMAO: so who knows? I may rise to the challenge. :)

As part of my New Year's Resolution to play more regularly, I'm also trying to actually memorize some songs so that I'm not starting over every single time. The number of songs I know by heart...both Beatles songs of course...is rapidly approaching (checks notes) TWO :ROFLMAO: so who knows? I may rise to the challenge. :)
Because clearly you have too much free time. Kidding aside, in the immortal words uttered during multiple Happy Madison productions, "You can do it!" And maybe we could get 4SB to jump in as well? I wish all of my Youtube favorites would bring a SOTU song here from time to time.

Last edited:
OK, Tim, regarding your imminent arrival on The Seasons - I think the other subject must be closed! - you really, really don't need to memorise any song you want to play. I think a lot of Seasonistas have their laptops in front of them to read the lyrics and chords of whatever song they are playing. I prefer to have them printed out on a piece of paper. Either method works equally well. (Such is my lack of musical dedication/ability that, five minutes after I have attempted a song, I can't even remember what it was.) So, come on ... let's have some Beatles!

I hadn't looked at Seasons for a year... so I just took a look at 621, and...

@Caspar has MY chalkboard drawing as the background pic to HIS song! (Vincent)

Thanks, I guess?

It's true... you never know where what you post will show up next...starry night.JPG

Last edited:
So, come on ... let's have some Beatles!

Very kind of you, and I'm moving in that direction for sure. The reality of my work situation (ie, my actual job, rather than the forum 🙂) is that I'm swamped for the next six weeks and I just can't take on anything new much before spring.

Heck, I'm barely keeping up with this thread! 🤣 I'll be responding to more of it soon...

Anyway, I've only been playing and singing at the same time for the past week, which is my bare minimum for myself...so even on that barest level, I have a bit more work to do. I'm not being overly precious about this, I swear. I'm a beginner, and I sound like a beginner. I'm okay with that and I know the Seasonistas are too, so we'll get there!

Thanks again!

Very kind of you, and I'm moving in that direction for sure. The reality of my work situation (ie, my actual job, rather than the forum 🙂) is that I'm swamped for the next six weeks and I just can't take on anything new much before spring.

Heck, I'm barely keeping up with this thread! 🤣 I'll be responding to more of it soon...

Anyway, I've only been playing and singing at the same time for the past week, which is my bare minimum for myself...so even on that barest level, I have a bit more work to do. I'm not being overly precious about this, I swear. I'm a beginner, and I sound like a beginner. I'm okay with that and I know the Seasonistas are too, so we'll get there!

Thanks again!
Go for it, Tim! We have all been "beginners" ... er, some of us still are; meaning me! Actually taking part on a weekly basis is an excellent way of improving; it's just the initial "leap" that is difficult. I, myself, was dragged in, kicking and screaming, by a friend ... otherwise I might still be sitting on the sidelines. You can do it! (And you will be made very welcome when you do!)

When this life ends, I wonder if a regret of mine will be posting some songs on a ukulele forum or not doing things that challenged me to explore life more?

Heck, I'm barely keeping up with this thread! 🤣
In the time I've taken to read this thread, I coulda recorded two songs that I have no idea how to play in one or two takes, reading directly from a screen! Maybe that's the trick to keep you from making any actual changes... keep typing mini essays on this thread that you are forced to read and respond to 🤣...😆...🤔... 🤨😐😑😶😵‍💫

“Let there be songs to fill the air.”—Robert Hunter
Love this!!

Except I pictured the air full of all the songs that are passing silently thru waves our ears can't detect until we tune in properly with the right equipment... and imagined the poor mutant who hears all of it at the same time and can't tell what's what and actually hates music. I'm up way too early. Just imagine going to any Seasons page and all the videos, even just on that page, autoplay and you can't turn it off or control the volume!! 🫨 This would create a super villain for sure.

But, perhaps more importantly, I am now tempted to have a season on "Tim's Favourite Beatles Songs Played Badly" next time I host. At least as an option :).
Yes!! This should be a weekly option!!! Hahhahahaha. I'm sure most people will have no idea where it came from.

The New Posts page DOES, and many sites (including the last one I worked at) use the what's new feed AS the home page -- if you think about it, this is what ALL social media sites do! The Feed is the thing -- Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Reddit, you name it. There's a reason for that. People want to know what's happening NOW.
I almost always go to the New Posts first. I must be trained well by social media feeds.
Every once in a while, I go to "Unanswered Threads," when I feel like being a better human being... but usually never as a start.

Chat, which I first saw requested in the Seasons, is definitely on that list,
Exciting stuff!!... that you'll never get to coz you'll be answering this thread for the rest of your career 😉

OK- Maybe not... I guess it's the original...
Just imagined Van Gogh thinking, "Why are people seeing my painting?! That wasn't meant for the world to see. I friggin' painted it in an ASYLUM!!! Who shared this thing?!? TIM?!?!?"

When this life ends, I wonder if a regret of mine will be posting some songs on a ukulele forum or not doing things that challenged me to explore life more?
GO!!!

For me, posting songs on an 'ukulele forum has been a thing that's challenged me to explore life more!!

But I totally get what you mean. There are many different aspects of life and I believe art and creation and music can go directly to and from the soul. Maybe that's one thing that makes the 'ukulele so magical... it's like a Disney Fast Pass. You don't need to wait on a long ass line to get to the ride. Maybe it's why it appeals to a certain demographic a bit more than others?! Folks who need that connection to and exploration of their soul via music and artistic creation NOW!!!

To me, that's one big thing I love about the Seasons. Not only sharing and getting out what's inside, but getting to see others sharing and exploring their souls via my tiny little sound wave producing magic computer in my hand. Some people may not know the amazingness that is the Seasons because they haven't taken the time to explore even this small little forum. I think Tim's sentiment here is that there's a lot of soul in that little SOTU asylum that's worth sharing with rest of the UU'verse. There might be some sketchy drafts in there, but there are also plenty of swirly starry night masterpieces.

Last edited:
I almost always go to the New Posts first. I must be trained well by social media feeds.
Me too! I always do.
Just imagined Van Gogh thinking, "Why are people seeing my painting?! That wasn't meant for the world to see. I friggin' painted it in an ASYLUM!!! Who shared this thing?!? TIM?!?!?"
Uh, I think somebody just had his third cup of coffee and it’s only 6 a.m.
I think Tim's sentiment here is that there's a lot of soul in that little SOTU asylum that's worth sharing with rest of the UU'verse. There might be some sketchy drafts in there, but there are also plenty of swirly starry night masterpieces
You’re a poet, my friend.

I hadn't looked at Seasons for a year... so I just took a look at 621, and...

@Caspar has MY chalkboard drawing as the background pic to HIS song! (Vincent)

Thanks, I guess?

It's true... you never know where what you post will show up next...View attachment 164107
I tried to find the owner, but people were saying he died a while back. Guess I was wrong!!

Top Bottom