Seasons of the Ukulele 224 - Songs that make you happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTU 224 - Songs that make you happy! - You Ain't Going Nowhere (Bob Dylan Cover)

Greetings again from Ukulele World Congress VIII (UWC 8) in Needmore, Indiana. This time from Cuatro Seasonistas; Alan Thornton, ddanner, Jazzbanjorex, and Fil Wisneski performing Bob Dylan's "You Ain't Going Nowhere." Getting happy and excited awaiting tomorrow's arrival.

Here's That Rainy Day

Funny, but sometimes sad songs make me happy, especially when they have lots of fun chords like this one.

Well, this is certainly a sad song, but singing it makes me happy. I would be even happier if I could really play it. It has been a favorite of mine for a long time, and I've been reminded of it quite a lot lately.

Fiddle and Banjo Uke Gypsy Russian Song...Oche Chornye....Dark Eyes..............

I don't think this one has been done yet has it?

Ralf did an awesome cover of the classic "Celebration" by Kool & the Gang and I just loved his arrangement then. I break it out and play it when I need cheering up.

His original was on soprano and I am doing it on a baritone tuned up to E/A/C#/F# so this is not the original key needless to say.

Hey someone had to do it!

Perhaps it's the feeling of the original footsteps of mankind??

I know what she means. I've been twice, once to Nigeria and once to South Africa. Two very different places but there's something seductive about Africa that makes you want to go back. It has a lot to do with the people but there's something else which is hard to pin down.

WOW! What a great Season so far!

xommen - One - You guys have a good sound!

Demimondaine - I Love Trash - ROFLMAO! Sounds like my sons room...

AlanDP - He's a Cowboy - Another fine entry! Thanks again!

uke4ia - Happy Happy Joy Joy - Added to the playlist, because why the heck not... LOL! Cute song.

AlanDP - I'm OK - Nice job on this Styx cover!

uke1950 - HOuse Of The Rising Sun - This is a good solo!

LimosinLil - ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE - You can't go far wrong this week with Eric Idle, lol. Thanks!

cua94 - Twist and Shout - Thanks for this. Twist and Shout has a special place in my heart, and this was really awesome to watch!

Tootler - C'mon Everybody - Nothing like some old time rock and roll! Well played!

turtledrum - The Dream - This song is beautifully crafted, and the delivery is superb!

TCK - One that makes me smile - This is awesome! What a fun little song!

hendulele - Me and Julio - Great cover!

AlanDP - A Fallen Star - This is a nice mellow song. Well done!

JackLuis - Tenn Waltz - This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing it. :)

bonesigh - Under African Skies - Great song!

AlanDP - Books About UFOs - Another great offering for the Season. :)

bird's eye view of my ukulele - the time of love is now - This sounds pretty awesome!

bonesigh - Love me, I'm a rock - Added to the playlist.

Rustyy - Wavelength - I really enjoyed this. Thanks!

Harry122 - You Done Stompt On My Heart - This is a pretty fun little song.

Rustyy - Surfer Joe - Great song!

So... this should get everyone on the playlist up to the end of page 11. They're a little out of order for some reason, but they should all be there. I'll try to get another page or two knocked out later tonight. We'll see how slow things are at work.

One last one.

This is a song I wrote to teach my daughter and granddaughter a simple C-F_G7 song. I think I got it simple, not sure about the song part!:rolleyes:

I don't think this one has been done yet has it?

Ralf did an awesome cover of the classic "Celebration" by Kool & the Gang and I just loved his arrangement then. I break it out and play it when I need cheering up.

His original was on soprano and I am doing it on a baritone tuned up to E/A/C#/F# so this is not the original key needless to say.

Hey someone had to do it!

Especially GOOD alert!

Well this one is far from perfect, but it's by far the toughest song we've ever attempted and I'm just chuffed that we managed get something done in only a week. Oh, and not only is it a song about being happy, it also genuinely makes us both happy :)

There appear to be 88 videos so far this week, including some non-entry stuff that's included in the playlist. If I've missed anyone, please send me a private message and I'll get your video(s) added ASAP or PDQ. Whichever comes first...

wee_ginga_yin - Them Toad Suckers - Cute song. Added to playlist.

xommen - With or without you - You and your band have a great sound!

wee_ginga_yin - 13 chord progression - This would be great music for either meditation or post-apocalyptic world domination. :)

NotAnotherLinda - Trouble - Wonderful video!

uke4ia - Happy Up Here - This song MUST make you happy! I'd just have a psychotic episode trying to figure that out, lol. Awesome playing!.

CeeJay - The Stung - This could only be better with someone playing rhythm on a washboard! :)

ddanner - Last Night - You guys must have had a lot of fun! Loved the video!

ddanner - You Ain't Going Nowhere - You guys were on a roll out in Indiana this weekend, weren't ya? Woot!

Dougf - Here's That Rainy Day - This is wonderful!

AlanDP - Rain - You're just a happy guy this week, aren't ya? :)

CeeJay - Oche Chornye - Banjolele AND a violin? Impressive!

librainian - Celebration - To quote Zaphod Beeblebrox: “That really is truly amazing. It’s so amazingly amazing, I think I’d like to steal it.”

bird's eye view of my ukulele - like a warrior - Woot! Sounds good!

JackLuis - Windy Leaves - Loved this. :)

robinboyd - Happy - Happily, singing Happy makes you happy.

Aaaaaand, that get's the playlist caught up to something more or less current. There is plenty of time to post videos if anyone is still feeling happy, happy, happy (I'm looking at you Alan!)...

I thought I was done but then I was amazed to see Geoff doing some Eddie Cochran plugged in !
It made me want to do this one again, it always makes me happy.

... just squeezing in a couple of verses of Cotton Fields to join the fun:
(note: cotton balls generally come wrapped in plastic in the U.S. Cotton bolls do not. Update your hitchhikers guide, if necessary.)

Last edited:
We played at a festival this week (both Saturday and Sunday), and this is a video of today. It shows us performing Mysterious Ways, a song we really enjoy playing.

San Tropez - Pink Floyd

The Racket Downstairs have been covering this song recently, and it's a lot of fun to play. The whole band was unavailable, but guitarist Steve Shelton was around, and Jack lives here so he's usually available. :) It's not quite the Mediterranean, but it was nice to play outside for a change, as Summer weather is finally here. :)

One thing that makes me happy is making other people, so when another seasonista makes a request, that's pretty hard to resist. This one is for Not Another Linda.

Another day, and I could have focused on improving the quality of my singing, and another week and I could have included the guitar solo, but oh it will have to do for now.

The ukulele is tuned down a half step to bring the song within my vocal range.

Nothing makes me quite as happy as when a llama comes to school. (No time to explain. Heh.)

Thanks all, for happy jams! And thanks, Phluff', for happy week!

224-3

A good song just keeps coming back around to make folks happy.

Alan Thornton, Fil Wisneski, Joey Gibson, and Rex Powell taking over the local art gallery at UWC8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom