Strings Some Thoughts About Strings

BiosphereDecay

Island Punk Rock
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been playing my uke with fremont black lines exclusively for quite a while, and I just picked up the soprano that I used to play the most, and I really hate these Aquilla nylgut strings that I used to think sounded just fine. They're so tinny and plasticy. Bright I think is the term, idk. I've only tried 3 types of strings (the other being D'Addario fluorocarbon), but I feel like the black lines are superior (at least to my taste) in every way. I can't think of anything I like better about the nylon or fluorocarbon strings. I wonder how much the ukes themselves play into this though. Maybe the nylguts sounds that way to me because it's on a soprano? Maybe the fluorocarbon feels lacking because it's on a Nova U (plastic)?

I agree on all points & have had the same experience with the brands you mentioned.
I tried Martin graphites a few months ago & they’ve since edged out Fremont as my top string choice. I highly recommend the Martins, but only the graphites, NOT the clear M600.
Sound sample with the Martin graphites:
View attachment TBSCM - 1921.m4a

I agree on all points & have had the same experience with the brands you mentioned.
I tried Martin graphites a few months ago & they’ve since edged out Fremont as my top string choice. I highly recommend the Martins, but only the graphites, NOT the clear M600.
Sound sample with the Martin graphites:
View attachment 172672
Is that Yowling Tom I hear???

Last edited:
Martin M605 Premium Polygut. They’re the product of an Aquila/Martin collaboration, akin to a v2.0 of Aquila Carbonblack. Akin to reds, they’re a composite string made denser through the combination of several plastics.

I really like them. High tension, with a slightly papery feel. If you like Fremont Black Line, I’d recommend that you try the Martins.

Martin does not make a low G, but La Bella would probably be a good match.
Ah that's disappointing.

---

Some more thoughts/questions:

How does everyone feel about Aquila reds? If any of you have tried both reds and blacklines, how do they compare?

What are the pros and cons of wound strings, and should I consider getting a wound low G? I found a low G set of reds with a wound g. https://a.co/d/cENsny9

I put tenor strings on my concert, which I know is a common thing to do. Would a wood sopranino be capable of handling tenor strings, or wound strings? Is there any difference between soprano and tenor strings other than length?

A wound string will be louder, maybe too loud for people who like to hammer on the strings, but a small-body soprano may need some extra volume. I know some companies like Romero and Rebel make sopranos with larger bodies to boost the low-G sound. Some people don't like the rougher feel of a wound string, but the La Bella wound strings are smoother than most to minimize that problem. Some people say that wound strings don't last as long, but they probably aren't following Aldrine's recommended string changing schedule.

I can't think of anything I like better about the nylon or fluorocarbon strings. I wonder how much the ukes themselves play into this though.

String preference is such a subjective thing, and there's really no way to know how particular strings will work on a given instrument without actually trying them. Through trial and error, I've found that some of my instruments sound best with fluorocarbon strings while others are okay with either fluorocarbon or nylgut. I also prefer Worth clear to any other fluorcarbons and don't care for the Worth browns at all. Someone with different technique or playing other styles of music might not agree with my choices, though, and I've also found that my preferences have changed somewhat over time. I enjoy the process of discovery that comes with trying new strings, and it sometimes brings big rewards. I've had a Talsma tenor for four years. It's a beautiful instrument and one I play often, but somehow it's never felt like any of the strings I've tried brought out its full potential. A few days ago I put on a set of D'Addorio black nylons and it immediately felt as if a door had opened. The nylon strings added a midrange warmth and the wound aluminum third string brought a shimmer that is magical on that instrument. They'll be my go-to for that instrument now, but I'll also try them on one or two others just to see how they compare. Even when I string up an instrument with a set that doesn't seem a great match I'll leave them on for a while to see how I can adapt my playing to get the most out of them. It's all part of the adventure.

Ah that's disappointing.

---

Some more thoughts/questions:

How does everyone feel about Aquila reds? If any of you have tried both reds and blacklines, how do they compare?

What are the pros and cons of wound strings, and should I consider getting a wound low G? I found a low G set of reds with a wound g. https://a.co/d/cENsny9

I put tenor strings on my concert, which I know is a common thing to do. Would a wood sopranino be capable of handling tenor strings, or wound strings? Is there any difference between soprano and tenor strings other than length?
I gave up on the aquilla reds after the third set broke a string just sitting on the stand. Too fragile for me. Low G Tenor.

I gave up on the aquilla reds after the third set broke a string just sitting on the stand. Too fragile for me. Low G Tenor.
That was my experience too. Even though I followed the instructions for installing them, I had two strings from separate sets break when the instrument was sitting in its case. Not at the nut or bridge, either, but halfway up the neck. I wasn't terribly impressed with the sound anyway, and they are expensive.

Well that's too bad... I really like the idea of putting red strings on a black ukulele
There other red-colored strings such as La Bella 820 Flamencos. When you’re ready, it’s probably possible to compile a suitable set for tenor ‘ukulele via Strings By Mail or a similar vendor.

Just a thought.

P.S. Some of us have better fortune with reds. I used them almost exclusively for the first couple years of my own playing, and I still love them with softwood tops. All the same, they are prone to breakage; I find myself heeding a few additional precautions whenever I install them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom