Standardizing description of ukuleles for sale

dancephoto

Reaction score
I think it would be helpful if there was a standard way of describing instruments for sale that include nut width, string spacing, fretboard radius, string length, high or low G, etc. Very often descriptions focus on the beauty of the materials without describing the aspects of the instrument that address playability.

I think it would be helpful if there was a standard way of describing instruments for sale that include nut width, string spacing, fretboard radius, string length, high or low G, etc. Very often descriptions focus on the beauty of the materials without describing the aspects of the instrument that address playability.
Unless it's a one-off, all the specs are available online. The seller can mention low-G, radiused fretboard, pickup, and other variables. Don't underestimate the importance of beauty. It has led to countless marriages over the years. 😁

Unless it's a one-off, all the specs are available online. The seller can mention low-G, radiused fretboard, pickup, and other variables. Don't underestimate the importance of beauty. It has led to countless marriages over the years. 😁
Yes, Jerry. You are right. It would be most helpful for one-offs. But for a variety of reasons the specs for off-the-shelf models are not always available. The Ukulele Site is very good about listing the specs, but other retailers not so much. I think that sellers should at least list the nut width. That way, only one person has to look it up, not everyone who might have an interest in the instrument.

You could always PM the seller, or just ask in the post.

Do you mean industry wide or on UU marketplace?

Certainly it's not a bad idea for a seller to list those kinds of specs, but I think it should be a poster's decision, rather than another rule.
As bilbo56 says above, you can always ask about whatever spec/measurement is important to you.
It's funny- I've bought, sold and traded on Fleamarket music (and eBay) for 2 decades, and have been doing so here for 13... and it's only been much more recently that people have become so fixated on nut width (and it seems that 1mm in either direction can make a uke a non-starter). I'm not saying it's not important (if it's important to you, then it's important), just that times change. Personally, I'm more concerned about what kind of bracing pattern a uke has, something that is almost never asked about or listed, so... if I want to know, I'll ask.

As someone who is selling off a bunch of my collection it's obviously a good for me to remember what info is important to potential buyers and including these specs is a welcome recommendation, but making it yet another rule is an invitation to the self appointed forum-police to jump down some hapless poster's throat because they did it wrong. For the longest time adding a photo with a paper including your UU name and the date was posed as a suggestion, and even then sellers were pounced on regularly for "not following the rules". I just saw recently that it has now been listed as a rule by the administrators.

Any regulation that protects buyers from potentially unscrupulous posters or makes the forum a safer place to do business is welcome, but more regulations to suit someone's personal opinions or biases rarely makes an online community a more fun place to hang out.
Just my 2 cents!

Do you mean industry wide or on UU marketplace?
It would be helpful industry wide, but I just meant UU marketplace. And (replying to @Ernie) I didn't mean a rule in the sense of a requirement, but rather something that we might do because we want to be helpful, and want to save time for each other (each interested party doesn't have to go hunting for the information and the seller doesn't have to answer inquiries about the missing information).

and it's only been much more recently that people have become so fixated on nut width (and it seems that 1mm in either direction can make a uke a non-starter). I'm not saying it's not important (if it's important to you, then it's important), just that times change. Personally, I'm more concerned about what kind of bracing pattern a uke has, something that is almost never asked about or listed, so... if I want to know, I'll ask.
Something I've noticed is that nut width was a lot more important to me when I was starting out. Playing a stringed instrument was still a somewhat foreign thing to my hands, so adaptability was just not there for things like neck profile and nut width; it really could make-or-break an instrument for me. I've noticed recently with a couple years of experience under my belt, to include branching out to guitar, I can give a lot more leeway for stuff like this. So I wonder if it's just a bigger influx of new players, or, like some members on this forum have commented, just a lot of players with "cranky fingers" that just need certain specs for comfort. Hand injuries and conditions that cause limited ranges of motion are a huge bummer.

I am currently satisfied with the Marketplace as it currently is running. Adding more may discourage some sellers (and buyers?) from using this forum as a selling vehicle.

Currently, most retail sellers do not provide much of the information mentioned here. Let the seller have the freedom (beyond the "selling box" to list what they think is important and let the potential buyers inquire on matters important to them.

It would be helpful industry wide, but I just meant UU marketplace. And (replying to @Ernie) I didn't mean a rule in the sense of a requirement, but rather something that we might do because we want to be helpful, and want to save time for each other (each interested party doesn't have to go hunting for the information and the seller doesn't have to answer inquiries about the missing information).
In all of that I completely agree with you! 8^)
I tend not to think of it when listing, because I generally don't think about it when playing (although I have played a couple of vintage ukes on which I found the nut width to be uncomfortably narrow).Come to think of it, I've also played some where the neck was too thin/shallow for my comfort (but I wouldn't even know how to measure that).

Something I've noticed is that nut width was a lot more important to me when I was starting out. Playing a stringed instrument was still a somewhat foreign thing to my hands, so adaptability was just not there for things like neck profile and nut width; it really could make-or-break an instrument for me. I've noticed recently with a couple years of experience under my belt, to include branching out to guitar, I can give a lot more leeway for stuff like this. So I wonder if it's just a bigger influx of new players, or, like some members on this forum have commented, just a lot of players with "cranky fingers" that just need certain specs for comfort. Hand injuries and conditions that cause limited ranges of motion are a huge bummer.
All very good points!

Yes measurable facts are preferable to marketing spoo, but description of condition is difficult to quantify and likely will always be subjective. Most important are number and severity of damages and wear.

… I wonder if it's just a bigger influx of new players, or, like some members on this forum have commented, just a lot of players with "cranky fingers" that just need certain specs for comfort. Hand injuries and conditions that cause limited ranges of motion are a huge bummer.
Call me the winner of the Miss Cranky Fingers pageant!

Yea, definitely not a rule per se, just something to keep in mind that might be helpful to buyers with cranky fingers.

Adding easy to determine specifications would be a nice touch.

I highly doubt anyone on this forum can determine fretboard radius without having a gauge.

I find nut width is a nice measurement to have. Although as @necessaryrooster pointed out, I have also adapted over time. That said, I would probably pass on any width less than 1-3/8”.

String spacing is pretty much a result of nut width and can be easily changed with enough width. I was concerned about spacing at the bridge at one time, but it has had virtually no impact on my playing and I play fingerstyle.

There are some discussions that need to be made with a PM.

John

I'm one of those who has frequently used the word "cranky" to describe my fingers, and nut width is definitely important to me. But I do realize it's not important to everyone.

I hope that people will list nut width if it's not the standard for that brand or builder, though, so there isn't a mistaken assumption of what the nut width is. Same for any other deviation from the norm for the builder or brand.

As an example: The Barron River website lists 36mm as the standard nut width. For my build, I asked for 35mm. Should I ever sell it, (not likely any time soon!!), I should note that when selling, since it's not what someone would assume if they looked at the specs on the BR website.

It IS important to me! a 1.5" wide nut is too wide for me.

Top Bottom