Strap for Gold Tone Banjolele DLX

Piecomics

Reaction score
I'm frustrated that I can't figure this one out. I love the sound of this, but can't figure out how to put a strap on it. It has these little screws that I think are tighteners but it is too cramped for a normal strap. Any idea?

actually while I'm at it, any thoughts on a way to (slightly) quiet the thing? I love it but holy cow it is loud!

Thanks!

I ran a paracord string around mine when I had one.

Last edited:
actually while I'm at it, any thoughts on a way to (slightly) quiet the thing? I love it but holy cow it is loud!

Thanks!
I put some foam behind the bridge and behind the head with the bar holding it in place on all my banjo ukes.

Your deluxe has a full resonator, so not sure this will work. I made a strap for my BUC Gold Tone Banjo uke out of 3/4 inch webbing and Delrin plastic hardware. One slide and a friction buckle. The narrow webbing slips under the tension hooks just fine. It's attached to the hook above the neck, and the hook above the tailpiece. It's a little hard to find 3/4 webbing and hardware though, I got mine online.

To mellow it down some, contact Gold Tone and ask about a Fiberskyn replacement head. Unless you are banjo-literate about disassembly/reassembly/adjustment, I would recommend having a banjo mechanic do the work. I didn't, and having trouble adjusting string height via neck/body angle. I'll diddle around some more, but may have to take it to an expert for adjustment.

Banjolele DLX has an 8” Medium Height head - https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone/parts/b1099. Confirm that it will fit when you call GT. They look (really cool) like this:

Attachments

• Fiberskyn On GT DLX.JPG
    Fiberskyn On GT DLX.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Before removing Tone Ring.JPG
    Before removing Tone Ring.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Before Removing Head.JPG
    Before Removing Head.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I'm frustrated that I can't figure this one out. I love the sound of this, but can't figure out how to put a strap on it. It has these little screws that I think are tighteners but it is too cramped for a normal strap. Any idea?
. Old timers used a pair of shoelaces as adapters to a standard strap. I do this on full size banjos.
. On lightweight banjoleles I use a long wide ice hockey skate lace.
. Music stores stock or can order banjo straps equipped with metal snaps that clip onto the tension hooks. The metal parts rattle a bit.
. There are short adapter straps with metal snaps that can be added to regular straps
. There are banjo cradle straps with a narrow leather extension that slides around the rim under the hoods for ultimate support for heavy banjos.
. Some folks unscrew a couple of the hooks to thread a standard strap

Thé local music store ordered me a few brass mutes from Gold Tone that I like a lot.

Cheers

Last edited:
Banjolele Mute. Note: this can only be done conveniently with an open-back...

After watching GT's video about muting devices for banjo, I tried placing a 'magnetic badge holder' on an open-back banjolele right behind, and against, the bridge. This was a quick test on an Aklot concert, and it really helped to tone it down. The plate is on the front with the magnet on the back. It's darned near commendable. It also worked well on my Outdoor Banjolele, but kind of neutered the Duke 10.

<edit> I did discover that it can be moved further "south" of the bridge to change the damping. Hmm...

<edit 2> On the Outdoor, I found it best to put the plate just under the end of the fretboard overhang. It sounds good there and is nearly invisible. I ended up using the same location on the Aklot.

Attachments

• Badge Magnet Set.JPG
    Badge Magnet Set.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Outdoor Magnetic Mute.JPG
    Outdoor Magnetic Mute.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Outdoor Back.JPG
    Outdoor Back.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Aklot Concert Mute.JPG
    Aklot Concert Mute.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have this on an Aklot Concert which is only a little lighter than a GT DLX without the resonator attached.

You will want a wider cross-body strap with the resonator on. Wide is adjustable adjustable 80-130CM
The wider straps have larger clasps that do tend to "clank" around more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom