Transposition / Key

Oldscruggsfan

Reaction score
Is there a general rule for the number of half- steps it takes to transpose a tune from its original key to fit your voice is improper, and will end up sounding ‘off’ even if you’re able to nail all the notes when singing the lyrics?

I guess what I’m asking is whether there is a max number of half- steps up or down from the original composition to avoid the entire tune sounding off key. :unsure:

No, but chord voicings may change if you run out of room on the fretboard. That isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I find that my singing a low G is hit or miss, so I often transpose from G to A. In the key of C, I'll have difficulty with the high notes... it all depends on the melody line.

I think what you are asking is, will chords sound odd in another key? The answer is generally, no. Where it gets sketchy is the voicing of chords (where the root is, inversions) may make it "seem" different in the progression. If it bothers you, you'll have to find another way to form the chord --- but that may be true even in the original key. So mostly, you don't have to worry about the voicing either.

I find that my singing a low G is hit or miss, so I often transpose from G to A. In the key of C, I'll have difficulty with the high notes... it all depends on the melody line.

I think what you are asking is, will chords sound odd in another key? The answer is generally, no. Where it gets sketchy is the voicing of chords (where the root is, inversions) may make it "seem" different in the progression. If it bothers you, you'll have to find another way to form the chord --- but that may be true even in the original key. So mostly, you don't have to worry about the voicing either.
That makes perfect sense.
Thanks, Dennis!

Any opinions on how transposing to a different key can alter the "mood" of a song??? I hear so many song "beginner" transpositions into C G and F that just "feel" wrong when compared to the original key. Am I crazy or is there something to this???

Any opinions on how transposing to a different key can alter the "mood" of a song??? I hear so many song "beginner" transpositions into C G and F that just "feel" wrong when compared to the original key. Am I crazy or is there something to this???
There are some who talk about certain keys having a particular sound or flavor. It has been said that Mozart chose keys in his operas to convey certain emotions. I do like the way some songs sound in a certain key.

But, in applying this to the original question, when I am trying to find the right key for songs, the main thing is about where it falls for my voice and how it sits on the uke is second. Sometimes it takes me a number of days to decide what sounds and feels right. There are keys or notes I can sing in and notes that I can hit, but I end up feeling that it does not sound comfortable or natural for my range. For reference, I often listen to a variety of artists perform the tune. Sometimes the key can vary quite a bit yet they all sound good. So, I would answer that if you can perform the song convincingly that is what matters.

I do feel that certain chord shapes work well with some songs. Other shapes, not as well . These chord shapes can be made to work with the song in pretty much any key with a “capo”…

... Am I crazy or is there something to this???

Not crazy to me. Most songs our weekly group plays are in easy keys to chord, like C and G. But some do sound a little wrong to my ear. I don't know theory and can't speak to voicings or inversions (wish I did and could), so I'm probably just hearing what to me has a slightly off feel to the songs.

An example is when we recently added "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes. I happen to have the album and picked out the notes and chords ahead of getting the group-supplied tab sheet. I heard (later verified via online uke tab sites) and learned the song in A. When I got the group song sheet it was in G, and it just sounds wrong to me. I find the same with other common songs we do, although with everyone singing, they do sound OK and it becomes more a question of whether I can sing in the chosen key.

I will add to the chorus of it's not mad at all to think some songs sound wrong in some chords.

But there are some caveats.

First, as @Wiggy says chord inversions can really change the way a song sounds. So even though you're playing the "right" chords for a song it might not sound correct. This is the real reason guitarists use capos - a particular song might need a particular set of chord voicings.

Second, you might find you have to take liberties when you arrange for an instrument with as limited a range as ukulele. You have to imply sounds that you can't make on your own.

Finally, you might have to change a key in order to make a song work for someone with a different vocal range. For example, I play "Dream a little dream of me" in F because I'm a manly man, but the Mamas and the Papas version is in C.

So really, choosing the right key is about compromise and fitting in with what you have and those around you.

I think it is about the circle of fifths. Even though all the keys--in theory--are equivalent in terms of intervals, there is something outré about keys on the left side of the circle. I have no evidence for this; it is just something my ear picked up or at least I think my ear picked up

The key can affect how some people interpret the mood of the song. I would still prioritize actually hitting the notes.
Besides the mood of keys in general, there is also how it comes across in your own voice. Some songs you should be able to croon, on some you should be able to hear the singer being near the edge of the vocal range, for a more emotional expression.

I would still prioritize actually hitting the notes.
Always this! I often completely change a piece of music because it simply wouldn't work on a ukulele in the way the original was if you arrange it "correctly". Ultimately you will always need to change music so it works with what you have.

If you're writing something from scratch, then you have a blank (ish) slate to start from - pick whatever key works best for what you want to convey. But with pieces that people already know, you are allowed to make your own interpretation.

There are some who talk about certain keys having a particular sound or flavor. It has been said that Mozart chose keys in his operas to convey certain emotions. I do like the way some songs sound in a certain key.

But, in applying this to the original question, when I am trying to find the right key for songs, the main thing is about where it falls for my voice and how it sits on the uke is second. Sometimes it takes me a number of days to decide what sounds and feels right. There are keys or notes I can sing in and notes that I can hit, but I end up feeling that it does not sound comfortable or natural for my range. For reference, I often listen to a variety of artists perform the tune. Sometimes the key can vary quite a bit yet they all sound good. So, I would answer that if you can perform the song convincingly that is what matters.
I agree. My method with transposing thus far has been to first look at what chords are in the song when transposed, and then check to see if it's my singing range. To many funky fingerings might deter my fellow players, even if it's comfortable to sing.

Reactions: EDW
Unless you have the handwritten score of the composer the "original" key of a song can be very difficult to verify. Recordings typically use the key that the singer prefers who interprets the piece. Sometimes it is difficult to play along with recordings because instruments are not tuned to 440hz. So just use the key that works for you and don't try too hard to copy the voice of others.

Remember that some of our aging rock stars sometimes drop the keys of their songs as they find their range is diminished. Elton John and Paul McCartney both come to mind

Top Bottom