Tuner Bushings without special tools

Akiiiii

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I wanted to gift my ukulele some geared tuners for christmas. It has really cheap ones so far. So I went ahead and purchased some Grover 9GW Sta-Tite Ukulele Pegs. Just realized that I gifted myself a set of problems too. Because I have no special tools and no idea how to install those bushings without those.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube how to press the bushings into the hole. But how do you guys make those holes?
Do you really all have some special stewmac drill for that?

Could I just make the holes 6 mm all the way through and then widen the half facing the front with an 8 mm drill? I could move the drill around a little making it wider than 8 mm at the top? The bushings are 8.95 at the bottom and 9.03 at the top.

I don't assume that there are geared tuners without bushings?

Kind regards,
Sandy

Attachments

• IMG_4725.jpg
    IMG_4725.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hey guys!

I wanted to gift my ukulele some geared tuners for christmas. It has really cheap ones so far. So I went ahead and purchased some Grover 9GW Sta-Tite Ukulele Pegs. Just realized that I gifted myself a set of problems too. Because I have no special tools and no idea how to install those bushings without those.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube how to press the bushings into the hole. But how do you guys make those holes?

Could I just make the holes 6 mm all the way through and then widen the half facing the front with an 8 mm drill? I could move the drill around a little making it wider than 8 mm at the top? The bushings are 8.95 at the bottom and 9.03 at the top.

Kind regards,
Sandy

There are geared tuners without bushings, Makala use them.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Kind regards,
Sandy
From what I gather, you already have the tuners and they have bushing/ferrels. As such you are interested in enlarging an existing hole, not drilling a new one. Using a drill bit to slightly enlarge a hole is difficult... the bit will wander. As such, consider the following:

I purchased a tapered reamer that I used to 'hand' enlarge the hole from 7 to 8mm. Because the reamer is tapered, you need to alternate from front side to back side, taking a little bit of shavings at a time... essentially 'sneaking up' on the desired diameter, little by little. I generally do one or two full rotations, each side, then try to press fit the bushing, without too much pressure. It may take a little time, but by sneaking up on the fit you avoid over drilling and inadvertently cutting a hole that isn't square to the surface.

Amazon sells these ( 3-13mm diameter range ) for anywhere from $8-$20. This link is to one with a 5% discount coupon. If you by one, make sure it has the 1/4" hex. It allowed me to use a screwdriver handle for a better grip.

Thank you so much for the extensive explanations guys!
I am german and it's really difficult sometimes with translations of tools names and finding things in european online stores.
And ordering at StewMac sadly costs a fortune for me.
Now I know what to look for. Spur bit would be "Forstner Bohrer" and tapered reamer "konische Reibahle".
Amazon sells those for 8 EUR here too. I will get a reamer then. Sounds like that should work. :)

I'd be afraid to drill too deep with the spur bit. You guys are great - always helpful and so fast! :)

Hipshot doesn’t have bushings.

I custom ground a metric step drill - took out the 12mm section, and use the 10mm for the back, and 8mm for the top nut. Basically made my own SMD bit. And, they have one for bushings, of course. https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...or-tuner-installation/peghead-bushing-reamers
I think Hipshot tuners are too pricey for my first uke. And wow - that one-step peghole drill bit is killer! I will keep in mind that something like this exists. VERY cool. Maybe when I quit my current job and start making ukuleles for a living. :)

You do not want to use a drill bit of any kind to enlarge the holes. So easy to mess that up badly. Buy a cheap reamer and go easy.Ream only from the face side, and make sure you are reaming vertical to the face of the head. If the bushings end up slightly loose, you can always use a dab of Titebond glue, just 1 dab not all rhe way around, to help secure the bushing. BTW, those 1 step drills come in a lot of sizes. When you start your building career, you'll want a full set. Start saving now! Good luck!-Bob

Thank you so much for the extensive explanations guys!
I am german and it's really difficult sometimes with translations of tools names and finding things in european online stores.
And ordering at StewMac sadly costs a fortune for me.
Now I know what to look for. Spur bit would be "Forstner Bohrer" and tapered reamer "konische Reibahle".
Amazon sells those for 8 EUR here too. I will get a reamer then. Sounds like that should work. :)

I'd be afraid to drill too deep with the spur bit. You guys are great - always helpful and so fast! :)
This company are based in Spain so in the EU as you are and postage etc should be more affordable.

Think this one is in Germany and they have a luthier section.

Oh! Thank you so much, Bob. Madinter has Stewmac reamers. That might really be something to think about. Thank you very much!
I know dictum. Bought some stuff there, but they are really expensive.

I've seen videos by Ben Crowe of Crimson Guitars counterboring holes for bushings by using a drill bit in reverse (anti-clockwise rotation) giving the reason for this method as "Drilling in reverse reduces the risk of 'tear-out' when counterboring holes'.
Common sense says it shouldn't work but it does.

I've seen videos by Ben Crowe of Crimson Guitars counterboring holes for bushings by using a drill bit in reverse (anti-clockwise rotation) giving the reason for this method as "Drilling in reverse reduces the risk of 'tear-out' when counterboring holes'.
Common sense says it shouldn't work but it does.
Sounds interesting. I will check it out!

I use a step drill like the one on the left in this ebay listing. For ferrules it works fine as is. The 6 to 8mm step is perfect for every set of ferrules I have encountered.
As a bonus use, for sealed tuners I ground off some of the 12mm step to the level where the tuners fit.
Also good for volume pot and jack holes.

Screenshot_20221130-085924_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom