Ukulele Advice Needed

csl3250

Reaction score
Good Morning,

My wife used to live in Hawaii and while she was there she picked up playing the ukulele and singing (she's really good too!). It has been years since she has had a uke and she talks about wanting one all the time. I am looking to surprise her with one for her birthday. I did hours upon hours of research on the different uke sizes, brands, woods, strings, etc...and I have arrived at a few options that I would like to ask y'all, the uke community, to see if any of you have them and which you prefer. I went with a concert size to sort of bridge the gap on options as it seems versatile enough to cover what she likes (though I am guessing she used to own a soprano). As far as wood, I know that the beloved Koa wood, is often a choice by many but I find the sound of Mahogany to be very pleasing as well. I am trying to stay under $400 which mostly limits me to laminates but I have put a bunch of interesting options in here for comparison: mahogany laminate, koa laminate, trembesi laminate, and spalted mango. I did not add it to the list but there is a solid Koa uke, the Martin C1K, for just out of the range I was looking to spend: $499. I will definitely entertain anyone who wishes to argue paying $100 more if it means a world of difference. Lastly, I just wanted to let you all know that she would be playing casually, maybe writing a little bit for fun, and singing to our son. She won't be on stage or posting YouTube videos but I still want her to have a beautiful sounding uke that she can love playing. As I know that many people select different uke sizes, and woods to produce specific sounds for the music they wish to play, here are some of the songs that I know she will be covering, if that helps with advice ya'll give. Thanks in advance!

Songs:
"You and I" by Ingrid Michaelson
"I Got You" & "Better Together" by Jack Johnson
"Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles
"Home" by Gabrielle Aplin
"Lost in the Thick of It" by The Coronas, Gabrielle Aplin
"Good Vibes" by Rebelution
"Love Like This" by Kodaline
"Stubborn Love" by The Lumineers
"I Have Made Mistakes" by The Oh Hellos
"Little Wonders" by Rob Thomas
"Big Black Car" by Gregory Alan Isakov

Uke Options:

1. Koaloha KCA-00TR Concert ($240)
Laminate trembesi wood (high gloss)
Nato solid hardwood neck
Merbau hardwood fretboard
Grover open gear tuners
D'Addario titanium strings
Wider fretboard (1.5")
https://www.koaloha.com/

2. Cordoba 15CM Concert ($119)
Mahogany laminate
Abalone rosette
Mahogany neck
Pau Ferro fretboard and bridge
Composite saddle and nut
Cordoba Silver with Pearl Button tuners
Aquila New Nylgut Concert 7U strings
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/ukuleles/15cm/
https://www.gotaukulele.com/2019/08/cordoba-15cm-concert-ukulele-review.html (8.6/10)

3. Cordoba 28C Concert ($199)
Hawaiian koa laminate
Abalone rosette
Mahogany neck
Pau Ferro fretboard
Bone saddle and bridge
Cordoba Vintage Open Gear Tuners
Aquila New Nylgut Concert 7U strings
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/ukuleles/28c/

4. Kala KA-CEM ($149)
Exotic mahogany body
Mahogany neck
Rosewood fingerboard
NuBone saddle and nut
Graph Tech Ratio tuners
Aquila Super Nylgut strings
https://kalabrand.com/collections/all-ukulele/products/ka-cem-1

5. Kala KA-MG-C ($219)
Spalted Mango wood
Mahogany neck
Rosewood fingerboard
NuBone saddle and nut
Graph Tech Ratio tuners
D'Addario Clear Nylon strings
https://kalabrand.com/collections/all-ukulele/products/ka-mg-c

A surprise is fun and all, but given that she's already a player I would let her choose. She may very well have some preferences in mind and just might enjoy the researching/shopping experience. I would also budget for a bag or case and tuner.

I know you want to surprise her but it would be great if the surprise uke was the size she likes. Any music stores around you 2 could just wander into by "chance" and let her play the 3 sizes that are tuned alike? I buy and resell lots of ukes to people who take part in my beginner uke classes and I find when given the chance to play the 3 sizes side by side, they usually feel strongly about the size they like (as well as the look). And if you watch on this site you can snag some used "like new" ukes and save typically 25-33%. Most of the sellers here are pretty honest about telling you what you are getting as reputation is important if you want to continue to buy and sell here. I bet if you watch you can find a nice all solid woods uke. Good luck in your search!

Where are you located?

Pono Factory has some good buys on reverb. You were comparing Concert sizes in your choices

how about this one direct from Pono on reverb ?

Pono Factory has some good buys on reverb. You were comparing Concert sizes in your choices

how about this one direct from Pono on reverb ?

You can't go wrong with a mahogany Pono. I bought one of these blowouts from Pono and it's great You will need to find a case as they don't come with one.

You can't go wrong with a mahogany Pono. I bought one of these blowouts from Pono and it's great You will need to find a case as they don't come with one.
The only reason that I know of that a Pono might not be right is due to the neck. We all have our preferences on what a neck feels like, and I personally would not be able to play a Pono due to the neck.

I think that the best way to handle this surprise gift would be to take her to a store, if that's an option in your area, or make up your own gift certificate to present her, and then do a virtual shopping trip. As many of us here know, the hunt for a ukulele is part of the fun, so she might really enjoy that.

I'm in Durham, NC
Howdy, neighbor!

Are you committed to those ukes? Especially with the more budget friendly models, I would prioritize purchasing from somewhere like Mim's or Hawaiian Music Supply as they careful check over the instruments. (I purchased a Cordoba from a big box retailer and it arrived obviously defective). I have a concert laminate mahogany Ohana and separate gator case from Mim and an *all solid* Anuenue mahogany concert from HMS that are well within your budget.

Locally, High Strings has some ukes. Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh usually has Cordobas, as do the Guitar Centers.

If your wife really enjoyed playing a soprano ukulele, don't automatically assume that a concert ukulele will be better for her. A lot of people enjoy the soprano size for the lighter weight and less bulky size.

You can get decent solid mahogany ukuleles for less than $400, eg Pono or Islander.

Ohana has some nice ukes within your range. Go to Mim’s Ukes and check them out. I bought a solid mahogany soprano SK-25 from Mim, perfectly set up and flawless, for $159, and it sounds and feels terrific. She has higher-end ones as well. Also look at Barry Maz’s reviews on Got a Ukulele, gotaukulele.com. Scroll down and on the left you’ll see a box listing the ukes he’s reviewed.
I agree with others here, though, that your wife would have more fun if you’d let her choose. Present her with a birthday card and a mocked-up “gift certificate,” then enjoy the adventure together. Good luck!
Oh, and have her join UU and tell us all about it!

An anuenue AMM2 will last her a lifetime. Solid mahogany with a beautiful tone and quality. If that is too pricey I'd look at some in their Hawiian Dream series. ANueNue is making some of the best values out there. I'd bypass the all-laminates. They are plywood with a veneer, and you won't get a mahogany tone from that. A solid wood Pono is also a good instrument. Or take a day trip to Mims and let her pick one out. She may prefer a different size, or have a preference with necks. Try to buy from a uke specialty shop, as setup will be important for it to play well and comfortably.

Last edited:
As much as you want to surprise her, I think it would be best if you let her make the choice. The feel and play of a uke is very individual.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 16 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 40)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

You are a great husband! Did your research also include finding out what kind of uke she played on Hawaii? Many people there are playing standard soprano and a larger size may not be a good idea if she is used to soprano. As for the laminate choices, the surface veneer is decoration only and they are most likely quite similar otherwise. So your research should also include if she prefers the busy look of some spalted woods or a more traditional look. Of the models you listed I only had the KOALANA (not KoAloha) and it was so bad that I gave it away to someone less picky. With cheap ukes it is important to shop in person to increase chance to get a good one.

Solid wood Pono or Martin concert strung in high g. Can find in sale or almost new/used in your price range.

Ohana has some nice ukes within your range. Go to Mim’s Ukes and check them out. I bought a solid mahogany soprano SK-25 from Mim, perfectly set up and flawless, for $159, and it sounds and feels terrific. She has higher-end ones as well. Also look at Barry Maz’s reviews on Got a Ukulele, gotaukulele.com. Scroll down and on the left you’ll see a box listing the ukes he’s reviewed.
I agree with others here, though, that your wife would have more fun if you’d let her choose. Present her with a birthday card and a mocked-up “gift certificate,” then enjoy the adventure together. Good luck!
Oh, and have her join UU and tell us all about it!
Sounds like you might be within driving distance of Mim's Ukes. I would recommend that you start with her as a seller anyway, so call to see if you can schedule a visit to sample some and find the one SHE wants. If nothing else, she has a return policy (one week?) if you mess up on this.

Be wary of assuming what size she wants. Someone else pointed out that the soprano size is very popular in Hawaii and soprano fans often do not like other sizes (they feel different and sound different and are bigger). You are likely safer staying with a sop if that is what she played.

I believe your choices all fall into the "beginner first uke category". Step into the $200 to $400 range (especially with Mim's guidance) and you likely will get a much nicer uke. Koalana is the very budget KoAloha and likely has little in common with their other models. Look on The Ukulele Site and consider the Opio sop ($450). My first uke was a Cordoba 15CM and I gave it away three months after I bought it because it was lacking in so many ways. And cheap Kalas may be okay, but you likely can do better.

I agree with all the smart people. Let her pick one out. Save up enough for solid wood uke. Get a really good used uke for cheap.

Definitely pick one out for her. Gift certificates are boring. Shopping trips are complicated and put the onus on her. If she knew what she wanted she would have alluded to that by now. If you can get a fully returnable local one as someone suggests, you can achieve a physical surprise with options to get something else. Since you are looking at these under $200 models, she will want a better one soon enough if she gets hooked.

Sounds like you might be within driving distance of Mim's Ukes. I would recommend that you start with her as a seller anyway, so call to see if you can schedule a visit to sample some and find the one SHE wants. If nothing else, she has a return policy (one week?) if you mess up on this.

Be wary of assuming what size she wants. Someone else pointed out that the soprano size is very popular in Hawaii and soprano fans often do not like other sizes (they feel different and sound different and are bigger). You are likely safer staying with a sop if that is what she played.

I believe your choices all fall into the "beginner first uke category". Step into the $200 to $400 range (especially with Mim's guidance) and you likely will get a much nicer uke. Koalana is the very budget KoAloha and likely has little in common with their other models. Look on The Ukulele Site and consider the Opio sop ($450). My first uke was a Cordoba 15CM and I gave it away three months after I bought it because it was lacking in so many ways. And cheap Kalas may be okay, but you likely can do better.
I don't think the OP said where HE is ....... - rhiggie is in NC - and Rick needs no help picking stuff out...

Anyway where ever the OP is:

Something from Mim would be good or a Opio Soprano from HMS - The Ukulele site would be great ways to go if its a Soprano size.

Top Bottom