UPDATE: 19" scale baritone on a budget?

Dave Holiday

Reaction score
Disclaimer and pre-emptive apology:

I know this question has come up here before as it showed up in a Google search. However, that was 8 years ago so please forgive me for asking again.

Does anyone know of a more inexpensive production baritone uke currently made that has a 19" scale length?

I realize there are some custom luthier builds and higher end models that come in that scale, but I have very limited funds.

Researching, it seems like my best option would be to acquire an old Harmony baritone. I used to have one and I loved it but it got destroyed.

The only affordable production model that comes up in my search is the Hora brand from Romania, but I expect shipping to the US might cost as much as the uke itself.

So many brands and models come and go I thought perhaps now or in recent years there might be a decent, decently-priced 19" scale baritone someone here might know about.

Thanks so much for any thoughts or suggestions.

I have two vintage mahogany baritones with 19" scales-- a Vega "Arthur Godfrey," and a a Giannini -- both crack-free in very good condition--
You can take your pick for $250 shipped CUS--

tempImage9IbXpA.jpgtempImage4NscJf.jpg

Ohana BK-35 series is 19.5”, so I’d bet their even less expensive ones would be as well. But that’s still not 19” lol

The above offer by counsel1 is quite nice. I love my vintage mahogany bari. The models listed have great reputations. If you are wanting to steer away from a vintage bari, I suggest an Ohana....per Keith above.

Bruko might be a consideration. you'd probably have to order direct

Disclaimer and pre-emptive apology:

I know this question has come up here before as it showed up in a Google search. However, that was 8 years ago so please forgive me for asking again.

Does anyone know of a more inexpensive production baritone uke currently made that has a 19" scale length?

I realize there are some custom luthier builds and higher end models that come in that scale, but I have very limited funds.

Researching, it seems like my best option would be to acquire an old Harmony baritone. I used to have one and I loved it but it got destroyed.

The only affordable production model that comes up in my search is the Hora brand from Romania, but I expect shipping to the US might cost as much as the uke itself.

So many brands and models come and go I thought perhaps now or in recent years there might be a decent, decently-priced 19" scale baritone someone here might know about.

Thanks so much for any thoughts or suggestions.

I’m not a Baritone player but make a few observations which I hope will be helpful.

What tolerance have you got for slightly longer and slightly shorter scales?

Do you have an ideal budget in mind and would you be able to spend a bit more if necessary - obviously something that comes in under budget would be nice too. Just looking through the baritone listings, by price, on eBay.com I see several good alternatives within a relatively modest (say $200) budget, and maybe goodwill has some even better offerings.

Might you consider a Harmonia ‘Baritone’? It apparently has a 19&1/4” scale and I believe that they can be bought for quite affordable sums. See: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/nud-harmonia.155194/ . Sometimes they have a different name on the headstock.

If you had and enjoyed an old Harmony Baritone then that’s seemingly the right thing to buy again. Is there some obstacle to a repeat purchase or are you just checking your options? Article for more info on the Harmony: https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2017/05/1960s-harmony-baritone-ukulele.html

I‘ve heard that the Ohana BK-10 gets a lot of love and it’s got a 19&1/2” scale.

Last edited:

I realize there are some custom luthier builds and higher end models that come in that scale, but I have very limited funds

Expanding your search to include 20” baritones would give more options. An inch difference is unlikely to bother most folk.

The above offer by counsel1 is quite nice. I love my vintage mahogany bari. The models listed have great reputations. If you are wanting to steer away from a vintage bari, I suggest an Ohana....per Keith above.

Yes 🤗🎶🎶

And…

Last edited:
Expanding your search to include 20” baritones would give more options. An inch difference is unlikely to bother most folk.
Consider the Pono line as well albeit the scale is a bit over 20 in. They're on reverb and here in marketplace quite often.

Thanks for reposting this video. I remembered watching it and looked for it, but couldn’t find it. I thought it was quite interesting. And it verified what my experience told me but I was unable to identify. I just knew my Favi and Ohana baritone were easier to play than my pono. The difference was minor, but notable. 19 vs 20 inch scale.

The Kamaka HF3L is a long neck tenor uke 19” scale and can be tuned down like a Baritone. Kamaka said that they used it as a baritone uke just in their family for years before making it available to the public for sale. I have one and have Worth brown tenor strings on it and just tune it to baritone tuning and it works great. I like the sound and playability of it better than either one of the baritones that I own.

I’m not a Baritone player but make a few observations which I hope will be helpful.

What tolerance have you got for slightly longer and slightly shorter scales?

Do you have an ideal budget in mind and would you be able to spend a bit more if necessary - obviously something that comes in under budget would be nice too. Just looking through the baritone listings, by price, on eBay.com I see several good alternatives within a relatively modest (say $200) budget, and maybe goodwill has some even better offerings.

Might you consider a Harmonia ‘Baritone’? It apparently has a 19&1/4” scale and I believe that they can be bought for quite affordable sums. See: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/nud-harmonia.155194/ . Sometimes they have a different name on the headstock.

If you had and enjoyed an old Harmony Baritone then that’s seemingly the right thing to buy again. Is there some obstacle to a repeat purchase or are you just checking your options? Article for more info on the Harmony: https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2017/05/1960s-harmony-baritone-ukulele.html

I‘ve heard that the Ohana BK-10 gets a lot of love and it’s got a 19&1/2” scale.

Thank you for this info. That Harmonia Vita-like uke is interesting! I am going to look more into those.

I have two vintage mahogany baritones with 19" scales-- a Vega "Arthur Godfrey," and a a Giannini -- both crack-free in very good condition--
You can take your pick for $250 shipped CUS--

View attachment 168531View attachment 168532
I realize this is a really great offer. I have played both a Vega and a Giannini and was especially impressed with the Giannini.

This is a great deal and I will definitely think about it. I know this is annoying, but I would probably have to pay in installments or sell off some other instruments before I could do this, even at that great price. And I've been planning to do that anyway.

Let me ruminate on this. If you are hoping to sell the Giannini or have it listed somewhere, don't hold off on my account.

If it's more casual, perhaps we could work something out. Thank you so much. I do appreciate this.

I should have clarified: I do own a couple of baritones already. A cheap but decent Makala that was my father's, given to me just before he passed, and an Oscar Schmidt.

I just really enjoyed the slightly shorter scale.

Thank you for this info. That Harmonia Vita-like uke is interesting! I am going to look more into those.
Once you start to look around they seem to be available for ‘bargain’ prices. They might have the desired scale length but whether they’re going to be of a quality to please I wouldn’t like to say.

The Makal’s have a 20&1/16” scale, the Oscar Schmidt about 20&1/4” ( https://www.elderly.com/products/oscar-schmidt-ou58-baritone-ukulele ).

I think that I’d be tempted to sell some existing Ukes - like say the OS Baritone - to help fund a Harmony; add the funds for the potential Harmonia purchase to the pot and then look around for a good deal on a Harmony that’ll meet your needs. Just a thought.

Edit. The OP might have seen it already, but for anyone who has an interest this old thread is worth a look at: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/anybody-suggest-19-scale-baritone.119575/ .

Last edited:
I
Well, that's probably true, but I for one, found a distinct preference for the shorter scale
I have 20 in baris too. And I too feel that a 19in would be a much nicer and more comfortable scale.

I realize this is a really great offer. I have played both a Vega and a Giannini and was especially impressed with the Giannini.

This is a great deal and I will definitely think about it. I know this is annoying, but I would probably have to pay in installments or sell off some other instruments before I could do this, even at that great price. And I've been planning to do that anyway.

Let me ruminate on this. If you are hoping to sell the Giannini or have it listed somewhere, don't hold off on my account.

If it's more casual, perhaps we could work something out. Thank you so much. I do appreciate this.
No problem Dave-
I have not listed either for sale anywhere-- I'm in no rush to sell -- just running out of room to accommodate my UAS--
I think the Giannini is the better choice as well--

Top Bottom