Where to get a custom made soft case for a sopranino ukulele?

500thou

Reaction score
For some reason even though sopranino ukuleles are a standard size (not a weird shape) albeit the lesser known sister of the soprano, there are hardly any cases to choose from that isn't 1) a hard case and 2) a black soft case. Wished the sopranino ukulele bag makers would offer more color options and patterns to choose from. I can't even seem to find an existing soprano bag maker to make one for a sopranino. Does anyone know of any bag makers who are willing to take up this request??

You might try Etsy, There are a number of people who sew cases for instruments.
I've tried Etsy. DM-ed a few of the sellers who sell Soprano soft cases, most of them just say sorry we don't have any of that size and unwilling to make sizes for the Sopranino. There was one who was willing to help as they asked me for all the measurements so they could ask the person who makes the bag, but then came back to me later saying that they need the actual instrument in their hand to measure its dimensions correctly as there might be size issues without taking right measurement. So the seller tried, but the people who make the bag didn't feel confident doing it even though I took pictures with the measuring tape in the photos. Sigh.

Have you considered just buying a soft case and putting patches on it?

Have you considered just buying a soft case and putting patches on it?
That is an option I suppose... I just don't think I'll be able to make it look seamless/nice with whatever patch I put on it. Like it would probably turn out looking horrible. Lol! But definitely something for me to consider.

Can you talk more about the type/size/dimensions of the 'nino? Also, do you want a handle and do you want it shaped or is a rectangle what you seek?

Can you talk more about the type/size/dimensions of the 'nino? Also, do you want a handle and do you want it shaped or is a rectangle what you seek?
These are the specs of the Sopranino I have (diagram images found on google):
Total length 19″
Body length 8.5″
Lower body width is about 6"
Upper body width about 4.5"
Body thickness about 2"

As for the type of bag I want, I'm ok with shaped or rectangle-like, as long as it is padded! I've also attached images of a soft case I have for my Soprano uke, which is exactly what I want with the side handle, the shoulder straps, and a zipper pouch somewhere to store things like picks or extra strings. :)

Attachments

• icm_fullxfull.563519766_s13sqbgsmaoksc4g04sg.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.563519766_s13sqbgsmaoksc4g04sg.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 16
  • icm_fullxfull.563519770_s08a91daheog4w4swco8.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.563519770_s08a91daheog4w4swco8.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 18
  • icm_fullxfull.563529700_5wtfp1tja6os8c8c848g.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.563529700_5wtfp1tja6os8c8c848g.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 17
  • icm_fullxfull.563529702_aezfxi3qf34k80sso84g.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.563529702_aezfxi3qf34k80sso84g.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 16
  • icm_fullxfull.563529704_1vzg6nm8n7wkoc0sk80s.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.563529704_1vzg6nm8n7wkoc0sk80s.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20230726150455.jpg
    IMG20230726150455.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG20230707065430.jpg
    IMG20230707065430.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20230707065447.jpg
    IMG20230707065447.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 17
  • icm_fullxfull.567866499_im77u98ecbcc4c8wccw0.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.567866499_im77u98ecbcc4c8wccw0.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 19
You might contact https://altieribags.com/ at one time I know that they would make custom items. Perhaps you can figure out what size violin (1/2 size, 1/4 size, etc) might be the same dimensions and search for those

These are the specs of the Sopranino I have (diagram images found on google):
Total length 19″
Body length 8.5″
Lower body width is about 6"
Upper body width about 4.5"
Body thickness about 2"

As for the type of bag I want, I'm ok with shaped or rectangle-like, as long as it is padded! I've also attached images of a soft case I have for my Soprano uke, which is exactly what I want with the side handle, the shoulder straps, and a zipper pouch somewhere to store things like picks or extra strings. :)
Adorable uke! 😍

I know you said you didn't want black, but what about this?

You could contact the Etsy peeps who make custom trumpet gig bags and see if one of them will make you a colorful version.
Just thinking what other instruments are roughly the size of your wee uke and would be carried in "something" that could be custom made.

Early in the century you found a soft case in the Manchester Department where they sold pillow slips. Or you picked up a canvas shopping bag.

If you wanted some padding you just wrapped the instrument in a clean towel and put it in the bag or pillow case.

This is a video from Bernadette with a simple DIY idea.

Looking at AliExpress, it seems that the factory(s) where they are all made in China only has three sizes, the smallest being 21". If you would like something different to this, you may have to get it made or make it yourself. As you can see from the DIY video, it is very simple sewing to make a ukulele case for a soprano size or smaller. Or just search AliExpress and find one you like that is made for a 21" soprano.

If you need a hard case, look in the light industrial area near your home for a business that makes "Flight Cases". They will make a custom case for a similar price to the most expensive hard cases on the market. It may not be cheap, but it will be a perfect fit, and you can talk about the design so you are not stuck with a 5kg lumpy hard case to safely carry a 300gm sopranino on aircraft and or in the pile of luggage in your car.

Using the scarf for a DIY uke bag is a great idea! I think I might try that out! Thanks for sharing :D

You could contact the Etsy peeps who make custom trumpet gig bags and see if one of them will make you a colorful version.
Just thinking what other instruments are roughly the size of your wee uke and would be carried in "something" that could be custom made.
It's a good idea to think of other instruments/items that is the size of my uke and see if they have funner looking cases that I could use instead. Not the black though, because I could get a black soft case for my sopranino if I wanted to. Those are available.

If you're cool with fabricating your own "padding" out of a towel or scarf, try an Etsy search for "mini duffle bag". Not sure if the dimensions are exactly right but they come in many colorful and handmade options that are pretty affordable :)

I love Etsy.

I have made several cases, soft and hard.

Some or just a simple sack design. Some are more complicated with some CorFlute or signboard bits sewn in to hold the shape and provide some protection.

If you like playing with textiles, you can make a (quality) calico or duck design and dye it or decorate it yourself.

I now try to avoid zips and metal parts like D rings. If you look at a system called MOLLE and clip locks and drawstrings, you do not need zips or metal parts and you can make light and effective soft cases that are easy to wash and maintain. And they will have pockets etc. just the right size for the tin you use to hold picks and your tuner and metronome and music book.

The most effective design I have made is to make a box to fit the instrument out of 3mm CorFlute Signboard. Its taped together with duct tape and opens at one end like a rifle holster. Then I have made an interesting looking cover out of some nice Japanese printed cotton duct with a drawstring closure. With some 1" webbing in a MOLLE Style pattern to tie it onto my bicycle or fit a shoulder strap from an old camera case.

If you like this idea. First use a sewing measuring tape to measure the circumference around the bridge over the strings, this helps get around the round and non-square parts, and should allow you to make sure there is enough space so there is no pressure on the top. Then measure the sides and back and work out the dimensions you need for the sides to fit the circumference. Then measure the length to work out the length of the box. Then simply cut out a box pattern on some signboard and stick it together using duct tape. Just a very simple 6 piece rectangular box, nothing fancy or odd shaped. See how flimsy it feels and maybe add some cross laminated pieces to make it stiff, cross laminated CorFlute is very stiff. If you cross laminate two 3mm pieces it will be 6mm thick. When you are happy with the box, measure it and make a canvas or cotton duck cover, which will hide the tape and allow you to fit the webbing and handles. If you want to have some pockets, make them separately and design them to tie onto the webbing instead of spending a week sewing them into the outer bag design. So there are two steps, first make a CorFlute box held together with duct tape, then make a cloth cover to fit.
Oh wow. Wished you had some pictures of the step by step instructions, that would really help me imagine it. I'll have to Google all the things you just told me to see if it's something I am able to do. It does sound like fun, so thank you for sharing all that! But also a bit confusing for me. I'm not a very crafty/handy person I think.

Another possible option would be a tennis racquet padded bag.

If you’re worried about patches looking bad because of your sewing ability (or lack thereof) I’ve glued patches on. It worked well.

Just buy a soprano bag and put it in the dryer!

Or- as I did... just buy a soprano bag and call it done...

Top Bottom