Which uke?

Kanin

Reaction score
I am going to buy a new ukulele. My price range is under $100.

I was thinking of buying a Makala MK-T but well, I already have the MK-C.

I was also thinking of the Lanikai LU-21C.

Which one should I get? Do you guys think that getting an MK-T is a waste since I have the C?

BTW this is my first post. Glad to be in your community! :)

EDIT: Budget is $200 and getting the Lanikai S-TEQ. Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!
I don't know much about either of those ukes, but since the MK-C and the Lanikai are both concert sized, if it was me, I would get the MK-T just to have a tenor. Unless you know you really like concert sized ukes.

I can't order anything online, and I'm not even sure Sam Ash has those in-stock at the store near me. Maybe I'll look around there more, and maybe they'll have the Tenor Lanikai or Kala. Thanks for the help!

I am going to buy a new ukulele. My price range is under $100.

I was thinking of buying a Makala MK-T but well, I already have the MK-C.

I was also thinking of the Lanikai LU-21C.

Welcome, you will learn a lot here. I can't speak for the Makala but my first uku was the Lanikai and it was an awesome little uku.

I can't order anything online, and I'm not even sure Sam Ash has those in-stock at the store near me. Maybe I'll look around there more, and maybe they'll have the Tenor Lanikai or Kala. Thanks for the help!

Kanin,

Welcome to UU.

Is there any way you could order one online? The reason I ask is because with less expensive ukes the setup is important and can make or break how the uke sounds and plays.

On-line dealers such as MGM, Mim's Uke's, Uke Republic carry ukes in your price range and setup the action. Some of them may also be able to dress the frets so they are all even, level, and don't have sharp areas (I can't remember if all of them offer fret dressing). These folks are also an active part of the uke community and are known and trusted by lots of uke players.

If you were to buy one at a local store such as Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc., they won't go through this setup process.

Setup may seem like a small thing, but with less expensive ukes it can make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Spots, I asked a friend to order online for me. Do you know if generalmusicsupply or music4all2nite does the fret dressing thing? I found a Lanikai LU-21T from both on eBay, but you didn't mention them. Also, do you know if the Lanikai LU-21T comes with Aquilas?

Last edited:
Kanin,

Sent you a Private Message (PM).

Last edited:
I don't see a huge point in buying a second ukulele which is more or less similar to the first one you have anyway.
So my advice is, why not try something electric :)

For just a tiny bit over $100, you can get a Stagg electric ukulele;
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-STAGG-EU...291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e41819d3
(there are other models available). Don't worry about it being an auction. The minimum price there is pretty much what you can buy it for anyway.

If you look at their other items (p-hill is a great uke dealer!) you might find something nice in your price range. Perhaps an acoustic-electric?

It's just that if you just get a LU-21C or something... it's like... there's not much difference from your current uke

I found this uku at Sam Ash today. I can't find the model anywhere.

It is a Lanikai. The guy said it has a spruce top with mahogany back and sides. It is a tenor size with cutaway and electronics. It is also laminate. Anyone know what model it is?

Good choice! May the electric pickup add a new, fun dimension to playing if you get an amp later down the track :)

I found this uku at Sam Ash today. I can't find the model anywhere.

It is a Lanikai. The guy said it has a spruce top with mahogany back and sides. It is a tenor size with cutaway and electronics. It is also laminate. Anyone know what model it is?

The spruce top is solid, the back and sides are the only laminate. Nice looking uke, a lot of fun to play.

Lanikai Tenor for sure!

Top Bottom