Workshop frustrations for an old guy.

Timbuck

Reaction score
I just opened a brand new case of 2000 assorted wood screws and dropped them on the workshop floor ... I'm now busy with a magnet and a ruler sorting e'm out ...another morning wasted :(.

I’ve dropped screws but not two thousand. Ugh!
If I were your next door neighbor I’d loan you my rolling magnet but you’d still have to pick ‘em off like beggars lice from field pants after a good quail hunt.

I’ve dropped screws but not two thousand. Ugh!
If I were your next door neighbor I’d loan you my rolling magnet but you’d still have to pick ‘em off like beggars lice from field pants after a good quail hunt.
I'm sitting on a high stool with the magnet taped to a stick, so I don't have to bend ... and picking em off just like you said :) What's a Quail ?(a quick moving snail I guess):unsure:

I'm sitting on a high stool with the magnet taped to a stick, so I don't have to bend ... and picking em off just like you said :) What's a Quail ?(a quick moving snail I guess):unsure:
“Beggars lice” is a colloquial term for stick lice or Tick Trefoil. Its triangular seeds are a bit larger than a deer tick. They have a coating that sticks to clothing just like Velcro. When I was a boy, beggar lice was almost as prevalent in our area as Kudzu. It grew among the relatively unkempt grass on a steep bank that sloped from the walkway that paralleled the exterior wall of our grade school down to the baseball field. Every day after PE/ recess, every boy's jeans would get covered in the stuff.
images

Quail is a game bird native to the US. Organized hunts are a significant sporting industry. In the southern portion of GA, there are entire thousand-acre tracts called quail farms, avoiding the negative connotation of “plantation”. The farms are complete with the obligatory high-brow lodge, full service meals and horse-drawn wagons to transport hunters to the field.
Known locally as “bobwhite” for their call, a quail is slightly beefier than a robin and maybe one third the size of a pheasant. Though it’s a small portion, the breast and eggs are a local delicacy.
Per Wikipedia, quail are also in the UK, particularly in Dorset and the Welsh marshes.😁

EDIT:
1679494997321.jpeg
A group of quail is known as a "covey" (rhyming with 'lovey' as in lovey-dovey). When a well trained bird dog stands or sometimes sits at point, the small group of well spaced hunters edges slowly forward, loaded shotguns at the ready, intending to 'flush' the as-yet-invisible game birds. Even when you're expecting it, few visual and auditory outdoor experiences one may encounter in the twenty- first century outdoors rival that of flushing a large covey of quail. The birds themselves emit little audible sound beyond a startled-sounding gobble. The explosive "whoosh" (flush) of a dozen or more wings beating skyward in unison is a nearly indescribable thrill.

During the final weeks in which my wife's father - a brilliant, funny, kind, loyal, prudent, trustworthy man who quite unintentionally become a second father to me - suffered terminal cancer, he acquired the daily habit of sitting for hours in a folding chair under the roof of his very rural southeastern Tennessee carport, numbing the constant pain with a fifth of Jack Daniels while watching the goldfinches, grosbeaks, northern cardinals, Carolina wrens, hummingbirds. nuthatches and bluebirds that regularly visited the numerous feeders in his 2-acre back yard. He consciously dosed himself with Uncle Jack in lieu of the doc-prescribed morphine that muddled his engineer's brain in a far worse manner. His adult sons kept the bar stocked and neither they nor I touched a drop except to commiserate at his request. A large but harmless king snake became a frequent but skittish carport companion. Fully grasping the non-venomous reptile's appetite for rats, mice and other vermin, he welcomed its regular visits far more than did my wife.

Near the time in which he could no longer avoid hospice care, a female bobwhite became another daily carport visitor, waddling warily from the far corner of the house and into the brick-lined flower bed that adjoined the car port in some sort of unpredictable but vitally necessary routine. Sight unseen one golden afternoon, tiny chicks pecked their ways out of five of the six almost-round eggs she'd laid in a well-concealed nest beneath mature Hostas. A few days later, she led her little brood toward our three chairs and was within two meters before turning at an angle to venture in the direction of the mature hardwood forest that adjoined the weedy fescue lawn, never to be seen again.

Last edited:
How many screws does it take to make a ukulele, anyway?

And: Does this imply that you have been getting into that little mini-keg beer machine of yours again? I thought your wife told you to get rid of that thing... ;)

Hmmmm...

Does this imply that you have been getting into that little mini-keg beer machine of yours again? I thought your wife told you to get rid of that thing... ;)
Ken is getting rid of it - glass by glass.

How many screws does it take to make a ukulele, anyway?

And: Does this imply that you have been getting into that little mini-keg beer machine of yours again? I thought your wife told you to get rid of that thing... ;)

Hmmmm...
That mini beer keg machine is not getting as much use as it should due to Mrs T monitoring it :) it has now been brought indoors under her watchful eye ... all the screws are now back in the box but not necessarily in the right place :) I'm using these screws for modifications to the workshop putting up shelves and stuff to make more space and get rid of the clutter so I can move around more easily.

Last edited:
I put a rubber mat to prevent foot, leg & back stress while extensive standing at the work bench. Now when I drop some thing (occurs more as I approach 4 score) it bounces away to some other dimension, only to reappear when I no longer need it.
Ah…Narnia screws. I’m all too familiar.

Just leave it where it falls. If a screw falls in a workshop does that mean... complete the sentence.

Just take off your shoes & go barefoot. You’ll find those screws!

Ok- Here goes:

If a screw falls in the work shop and you step on it while going barefoot, does that mean that the customer waiting out in the front room who hears you screaming and swearing will walk right out the door of your shop while thinking they are dealing with a crazy person?

Last edited:
Ok- Here goes:

If a screw falls in the work shop and you step on it while going barefoot, does that mean that the customer waiting out front room will hear you scream and swear and walk out of the shop while thinking they are dealing with a crazy person?
If the customer is not open minded enough to handle a little screaming and swearing, and is not able to duck items that might ocassionally get thrown around, then I would not want to have them as a customer anyway.-Bob

More frustration today (production stopped) ... I decided to bend some side sets ... switched on the heat gun to heat up the bending pipe ...bent the first one with no problems :) ...halfway the through the second one I was struggling then crunch! it snapped :( the gun heating element had burned out and the internal fan was just cooling down the pipe ... so I'm now waiting for another replacement gun to arrive tomorrow.

Top Bottom