Question on a symbol in tabs..

Pandamonium

Reaction score
So I've come across a symbol that I don't recognize.. And sorry that I'm a big nub, but I was hoping someone could explain it to me?

question.jpg

It's a trill. You strum it slower than normal in the direction of the arrow. There should be a little more separation between the notes than there would usually be in a normal strum.

A trill is more of a "shake" between two notes, usually on the same string.

But I agree that it probably needs more separation between the notes than just a strum. :)

A trill is more of a "shake" between two notes, usually on the same string.

But I agree that it probably needs more separation between the notes than just a strum. :)

Ah, you're right. What is the terminology for that notation, then? Hmm...

That is what I sometimes use in Power Tab. I just looked and Power Tab defines it as an arpeggio. So yes, you would roll your finger down the strings to hear individual notes.

Ah, you're right. What is the terminology for that notation, then? Hmm...
I've seen it used in guitar music before, but never heard of a proper term for it. If anyone knows, I'd love to know what it's called is as well.

Arpeggio

Yes, Hippie Guy is right. It is called an arpeggio.

An arpeggio on any instrument is just a broken chord (one where the notes are played separately rather than together). On a ukulele (guitar, lute, etc) it is played by plucking the strings separately. It is normally played by playing the 4 strings with 4 separate fingers (thumb, first, middle, ring). It should be played quickly (depending on the speed of the music) but the individual notes should still be heard clearly. It could be played with just the thumb, but this give you less control and it doesn't usually sound the same.

The little arrow at the top means play the strings in ascending order (4th ,3rd ,2nd ,1st). The arrow can be at the bottom and in this case the strings are played in reverse order starting with the 1st (A).

I use this symbol a lot in my arrangements. It can be very effective if not used too much.

Hope this clears up the problem.

KEN

>>>

Top Bottom