Guitar Tab -> Ukulele Tab

Reaction score
Is it possible to make the process of converting guitar tab to ukulele tab easier using Power Tab Editor or some other program? Just to specify, I'm talking about tab, not chords because chords are the same for any instrument, just different fingerings. Anyway, if there is no program that can make tab conversion easier, is there any trick to doing it yourself or does one just find the note on the guitar and find the matching note on the ukulele?

I'm sure there are automated doo-dads that will do the bulk of the work for you. But the problem they will have--and you will have if you do it yourself by hand--is that there's often not a matching note on the uke!

The guitar, obviously, has a much bigger range of notes it can play than a ukulele. And there are more strings too, which means that more notes can be played at the same time--and they can be "spaced out" farther.

Bottom line is that, with or without software, you're going to often have to make artistic decisions and musical choices about how to cram a guitar arrangement onto a uke. It's frequently more of a rearrangement than a straight-ahead conversion.

JJ

Knowing the notes of both the guitar and ukulele fret boards helps a lot when trying to do a direct translation by hand but there's a few tools to make it easier. Twelvefrets.com is a tab converter but it doesn't work too well in my experience. I find the attached tab translator to work better. When you punch in a guitar fret number it will output that note on each of the 4 uke strings (where possible), which makes it a little easier to arrange the notes in such a way that it's possible to play it on uke without jumping up and down the fretboard. Having a low G string helps a lot as well as it's much easier to transpose songs so the lowest note will be playable on a low G string than the C string.

But like Ukulele JJ said, a lot of times it's just not possible to do a direct translation from guitar to uke so you'll have to fiddle around to come up with something that sounds similar.

Attachments

• TabTranslator v1.&#4.zip
    16.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Top Bottom