Uke by David Newton Guitars, Howdy!

David Newton

Reaction score
I'm David Newton, in Beaumont Tx.
I play guitar, but mostly I BUILD guitars, and now, ukes again.
Back in the early days of the internet I hosted an email newsletter called "Worldwide Ukulele Forum". If you remember Roy Cone, we built "Tuma-Vita" ukes together.
I hope it doesn't come off like my first post here is shameless self promotion, I was hoping to share my joy of building ukes again after a long drought, and show a couple of pictures.
This is my "Diaz" uke built for a local, JJ. It is concert scale, but I'm doing another in soprano, same body size. Its patterned after a Diaz uke, a very early maker.
Enjoy.
Dave.

Attachments

• concert 1a.jpg
    concert 1a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 120
  • elegant 2a.jpg
    elegant 2a.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 158
Welcome to the Underground, David. I'm gonna move this to the Ukulele Building/Luthier's Lounge forum. I think you'll feel more at home there. For those of you who don't know who Roy Cone is, check out his website; Ukulele World. He's been around awhile.

Thanks Kanaka, I actually didn't see the Luthiers section waaay down at the bottom.
I hope you don't mind me posting some up in the Uke Talk section, looks like that is the most active forum.

Hey david!

Welcome to the forums. I'm pretty sure you'll feel at home here! (It's hard to not feel at home here, everyone treats everyone like family!)
Your Diaz replica looks awesome!

Thanks Kanaka, I actually didn't see the Luthiers section waaay down at the bottom.
I hope you don't mind me posting some up in the Uke Talk section, looks like that is the most active forum.

No, not at all. Just look at the forum descriptions and that will more or less say what subject matter would fit that particular forum. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask any of the Mods via PM.

Hi Pete, tell me how it's going?

I think Roy's son and daughter run the business, but if I'm not mistaken Roy is still alive. His last message on his site that is from him, he says he is 84, which is about right.
I'm terrible for not keeping in touch with him, a more generous, nice guy has never walked the face of the earth. Back when we worked together, he would drive over from Seabrook to Beaumont about 60 miles, to bring me a strip of fretwire when I was out and needed to finish a job right away.

Hey David I too live in Beaumont, TX where can I swing by and check one of your ukes out.

Top Bottom