Concept fretless uke by Michihiro Michi Matsuda

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Very strange object (can't call it a uke)...No sound hole just one side missing :confused:
Here are a few more. http://www.catfish1952.com/freakshow.html check out Duane's "Picasso style uke" He must have been on some strong stuff when he made that one :rolleyes:

Not all instruments are art, and not all art are instruments. Michi's works are a tour de force of post-modern visual delight, but these are not about sound nor playability. His instruments start where Ervin Somogyi's leave off and just go into the pure sculptural art world. Don't expect to hear them being played, though...

I personally like it. It may not be that playable, but it very creative and it certainly stretches the mind.

I think many are missing the point.

Were does function and art diverge? Do you walk into an art gallery and say about the Mona Lisa, "Hell, it's just a bit of paint, and not enough to cover the dunny door". Or appreciate it for what it is. Both make me feel good to look at it, and more than anything marvel at the inspiration and ingenuity.

It's all foolishness until you sell it.
The proof is in the pudding.

Well Dave, I don't think Michi has any trouble selling his creations......and its certainly not foolishness.
There are plenty of people who want this kind of stuff, and he provides it.

I think many are missing the point.

Were does function and art diverge? Do you walk into an art gallery and say about the Mona Lisa, "Hell, it's just a bit of paint, and not enough to cover the dunny door". Or appreciate it for what it is. Both make me feel good to look at it, and more than anything marvel at the inspiration and ingenuity.

Well said Allen

It's all foolishness until you sell it.
The proof is in the pudding.

Best line so far!! Michi loves pudding!! LOL

Also, some of you will say that you gotta repair to understand building...he's studied under Frank Ford and part of the repair staff at Gryphon

Well Dave, I don't think Michi has any trouble selling his creations......and its certainly not foolishness.
There are plenty of people who want this kind of stuff, and he provides it.

That was my point exactly, about his art. If no one wants it, it is foolish. If people buy it, he is proven right.
Just look at Van Goph's paintings. Oh wait, no one wanted them when he was alive...

That was my point exactly, about his art. If no one wants it, it is foolish. If people buy it, he is proven right.
Just look at Van Goph's paintings. Oh wait, no one wanted them when he was alive...

Oh, sorry Dave....I misunderstood what you were saying.

Top Bottom