Any tips for pedal connection sequence? Electric ukulele

cyber3d

Reaction score
I did a search but could not find any answers.
Is there a proper sequence or best sequence to connect your effects pedals? or does it matter?

Which pedals are you using?

Google guitar pedal board order and you'll find plenty of resources (and opinions!).

Knowing which pedals you have would be helpful.

I put my equalizer pre amp first---it has a built in tuner other wise I'd put a tuner first......then overdrive......then delay and other ambient pedals---reverb last......if I have a looper or rhythm type pedal I will put those after the reverb.

Think about what the pedal does to the signal and how you want the next pedal to interact or not with that new signal coming to it.

Yep. What pedals do you have?

I have Volume pedal > tuner on a side chain > overdrive / distortion / fuzz > modulation / time based pedals (reverbs, phasers, flangers, delays, choruses, tremolos, loopers)

Ideally, I'd put modulation pedals on an effects loop.

Without knowing your setup, I'd say pre-amp, compressor and the tuner at the start of the chain. Dirt pedals come next. Modulation pedals are last. That's a very generic overview.

Looper, sustain pedal, distortion, and a superego+ multi effects pedal.

right now, electric solid body uke > distortion > looper > superego+ > sustain pedal > amp

Thanks for the input guys.

20211014_142530.jpg

Now, we're talking! I'd probably go uke > sustain > distortion > superego+ (cool pedal btw) > looper > amp.

If you have an fx loop, I'd go with uke > sustain > distortion > amp > fx loop > superego+ > looper > amp return.

Note, you can probably switch sustain and distortion depending on your liking. I've not used a sustain pedal, but I do have a Feedback pedal in front of my overdrive. I also own a solid body electric, if you ever want to know more about pedals. My pedalboard is more or less set these days unless I want something specific.

Now, we're talking! I'd probably go uke > sustain > distortion > superego+ (cool pedal btw) > looper > amp.

If you have an fx loop, I'd go with uke > sustain > distortion > amp > fx loop > superego+ > looper > amp return.

Note, you can probably switch sustain and distortion depending on your liking. I've not used a sustain pedal, but I do have a Feedback pedal in front of my overdrive. I also own a solid body electric, if you ever want to know more about pedals. My pedalboard is more or less set these days unless I want something specific.
Thanks for spelling it out for me! Looking at your sequences I can imagine what is affecting what. I definitely have to move the sustain higher in the chain.

I just looked at your photo again. Is there a reason why you have the vodami looper, as well as the EHX 360? Same question goes for the sustain pedal when you have the latch / freeze feature on your Superego +?

Oh, the Vidami is not an instrument looper. It loop controls YouTube videos. A foot controller for playback speed, loop sections, forward and backward shuttle. The sustain pedal gives me a lot more control over sustain. It samples and modifies the signal and layers it as it feeds it out smoothly. Very un "latch" like. I'm still learning how to get more out of it. I especially like how it can take the last note in a chord and sustain just that note.

Ok. I'm just trying to keep you from getting redundant pedals because eventually space on your floor / board becomes a premium.

Also, iirc, you have an fx loop on your superego+...You can send a signal out to other pedals and back to the superego if you want to modify its sound...It's a very powerful pedal to have on your board. The gliss knob would also give you a lot of possibilities.

Just looking at your choices so far, are you playing ambient / atmospheric music with lots of pad?

Ok. I'm just trying to keep you from getting redundant pedals because eventually space on your floor / board becomes a premium.

Also, iirc, you have an fx loop on your superego+...You can send a signal out to other pedals and back to the superego if you want to modify its sound...It's a very powerful pedal to have on your board. The gliss knob would also give you a lot of possibilities.

Just looking at your choices so far, are you playing ambient / atmospheric music with lots of pad?
Does that mean I could use the Return jack (for the end of my fx chain) Which in my case would mean Sustain>Grunge>EHX Return jack>Looper>Amp I have to put the looper in there somewhere (clean signal only). I have not investigated the Return Jack, quite frankly, because my jacks won't fit that close together. LOL

Quite honestly I have not yet begun to explore the SuperEgo+. Blues and Punk, just getting into more expressive styles.

20211021_182202.jpg

Last edited:
The return jack is for any pedal you're using just for the SE+. So, it would look like uke > dirt > modulation > SE+ > fx loop send {more fx pedals} > return to SE+ > output to whatever. You'll have to experiment with your combination of pedals to get the sound you like.

In regards to your looper, if you want a clean signal to just the looper, you can record your base with the other pedals turned off in front of the looper and then record your layers with any effects on top. It shouldn't affect the original layer's sound...Unless you start changing your amp settings since all of your pedals are in front of the amp.

Top Bottom