Fret sprout, when to expect

rreffner

Reaction score
Is fret sprout something that occurs relatively quickly or does it occur over the years? Let’s assume humidity around 30 during heating season, 60 during warmer months and a new ukulele.

It doesn't take years. It can pop up in weeks if you're not careful, as in Minnesota in the winter. Sometimes it can be cured by humidifying your uke over a week and other times you'll need to file and sand down the sharp ends.

Last edited:
Is fret sprout something that occurs relatively quickly or does it occur over the years? Let’s assume humidity around 30 during heating season, 60 during warmer months and a new ukulele.
Your indoor humidity is pretty low in the winter. Fret sprout doesn't take years to develop and its not the only bad effect of very low humidity. If you have an engineered fretboard (like richlite or a carbon fiber/composite uke), it may not happen at all as it won't shrink. But low humidity can cause the top of your uke to fall, you can get cracks, glue can dry out, frets can become loose, etc. Solid instruments are more sensitive than laminates, but all wood is susceptible to humidity changes.

Ideally, you'd have the humidity levels between 45-55% in a 70ish degree room. I wouldn't worry so much about the 60% in summer. But 30% in winter is too low for a hollow wooden instrument. You could humidify the room, or you could get a soundhole humidifier for your uke and keep it in its case during the heating season.

Wood expands and contracts with humidity changes. Ever see a dry sponge? That can be your Uke or guitar in low humidity Below 40%. I’m using the planet waves soundhole inserts between strings with a damp (not wet) sponge in both of my cased baritones with humidity in the 30 ‘s. The sponges dry up hard in 3 days.

I have had frets sprout during shipping. On a new tenor! It wasn't much, but it didn't go away with heavy humidification.

I've also purchased ukes that the fret ends had been dressed, but only to the junction of the neck to the body. (14th fret.) The remaining frets were sharp and my fingernail would sometimes get under the edge while playing. Nothing major, but annoying.

Fret spouting is annoying, but it's super easy to fix. I have a couple of ukes with composite bodies but wood necks that I don't bother to humidify, and it just takes a few minutes a season to keep the necks in top shape. I'm always amazed when I find guitars and ukes in the stores with terrible fret sprout, as it would be easy to fix, and sure doesn't help sell the instrument!

Top Bottom