Song Help Request Help! I want to tab a song, but I don't know how.

EL_GOON

Reaction score
Hello friends and lovers!

I'm having a bit of trouble with tabbing the song "Swing Life Away" by Rise Against. Here's the song for all those who forgot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7mZkt4bP5I

So, the problem is I have no idea where to start. Its on the acoustic guitar but I'm sure it can happen. How do people figure this sort of thing out? I'm kind of new to the whole reading the musics thing but I can kinda play the ukulele. Well I hope so I've been playing for about 6 months give or take.

Here's what I noticed: the acoustic guitar and the ukulele have similar chord letters like Am, F, C. So I'm thinking whatever the chord shows up for the guitar it can be played on the ukulele? I'm thinking that maybe some chords are similar and can be reproduced but I'm sure there's gonna be some improve here and there.

Where can I start?

I assume that you mean reading a song that someone else has tabbed rather than tabbing it yourself.
Guitar tabs are written on 6 lines, while ukulele tabs are on 4 lines. In each case, each line stands for a string.

How To Read Ukulele Tabs
Good luck El Goon!

Hello friends and lovers!

I'm having a bit of trouble with tabbing the song "Swing Life Away" by Rise Against. Here's the song for all those who forgot:

So, the problem is I have no idea where to start. Its on the acoustic guitar but I'm sure it can happen. How do people figure this sort of thing out? I'm kind of new to the whole reading the musics thing but I can kinda play the ukulele. Well I hope so I've been playing for about 6 months give or take.

Here's what I noticed: the acoustic guitar and the ukulele have similar chord letters like Am, F, C. So I'm thinking whatever the chord shows up for the guitar it can be played on the ukulele? I'm thinking that maybe some chords are similar and can be reproduced but I'm sure there's gonna be some improve here and there.

Where can I start?

I'd recommend writing tabs for very simple songs first. Retro video game music is a great place to start.

This is a song I transcribed only a couple months into learning the ukulele:

Original:

The fact that there's not very many instruments and that there's a clear single lead instrument makes it a lot easier.

I definitely recommend starting your journey into learning to read sheet music. (I've been playing for about the same amount of time, and I'm definitely not there yet, but I'm well on my way.)

Also I love Rise Against. Good choice!

Top Bottom