WTT - Europe - Kamaka Tiki Concert

UkingViking

Reaction score
Last year I purchased this old Kamaka.

The tone is beautiful, but I can't get used to those friction tuners, so I am thinking of rehoming it.
The uke is from 1972. It is overall in reasonable shape for its age, but it has a really small crack near the sound hole. See pictures.
The tuners are a bit loose, but I guess they can be tightened or replaced. I am not a friction tuner man :)
I bought it with some really old black nylon strings on it, probably as old as the uke itself. Restrung it last year with Worths Browns, high G.

Since many ukulele brands are hard to come across in Europe, I would like to trade for another nice quality solid wood concert ukulele, But I am also open to selling it.

Asking EUR 500 + shipping.
Interested in trading for something like a solid Martin or Pono.
Would also like a more recent-K brand, or a Rebel or Opio ukulele, but I guess I would have to throw in a bit more than the old Kamaka for a trade like that :)

I hope someone is interested!

Ukulele.jpg

Headstock.jpg

Crack.jpg

If you can feel it from the inside, does the crack continue to the side? Do you have more pictures - or a video? I have a 10 year old Kanile'a K1C in mint condition that I'm half-thinking of parting with and could be part of a trade.

Last edited:
I will make a video later tonight if I find the time.
Kanilea sounds interesting :)
Where are you located?

MTE. If that's the only concern, switching out the tuners wouldn't be too much of a project.

It turns out I wont be able to make a video tonight, I will do it one of the next days.

I am aware that changing tuners is not the biggest procedure, but I am not sure I appreciate the whole vintage uke experience. I havent tried other vintage ukes, but I feel extra careful when playing something old like this. And the feel of the finish and the frets is different from the modern ukes I have. I would hate to spend quite a sum to refurbish it, only to find that I still want a newer one. If I sell after modifying I will have had more expenses + the buyer might prefer the original features for collectability reasons.

I will probably need to tight en the tuners a bit to make a proper video.

I'm on the US East Coast. If you create a video and some pictures of the problems, I might want to talk to a luthier about how much it would cost to fix and refurbish it. I'm not sure this is for me, but it is an intriguing thought to play something like this. After a video (no rush), I'll PM you if I'm interested.

So, I found time to make a video:

For trading I was hoping to find someone inside the EU, since its a hassle in customs to receive overseas packages.
But I could sell it overseas if the price is right.

I have been asked about the condition of the bridge.
It looks fine to me, see picture below.

The ukulele is still available, if someone this side of the pond is interested in trading.
DSC_0805.jpg

I am beginning to consider changing the tuners and adding strap a button myself... That is unless someone in Europe shows up who wants to trade og buy.
It would be a bit of a pity to mess with the original features.

Top Bottom