Aloha from Western North Carolina

MelTheUker

Reaction score
Greetings, UU!

I am very new to playing the ukulele. I bought my first one, a Makala MK-C, just prior to this new year and started learning with Andy Ukulele on YouTube. When my fingers were too sore to play I started reading all I could online about the ukulele and of course came across UU. This is my first foray into playing a stringed instrument. I played (still play a little) concert flute and dabbled in piano when I was much younger.

I have been lurking the forum and have learned quite a bit doing that. Thanks to the UU community for that!

I quickly developed a desire to purchase a handmade Hawaiian uke, and found myself perusing the ukes for sale at The Ukulele Site. I'm excited to say that my KoAloha Koa Concert Royal Pikake was delivered on Tuesday! It sounds so beautiful, and so now I am loving learning even more.

I became a member of Matt Stead's website and am working through the beginner course. I have searched for local ukulele instructors and am having a challenge finding someone that is available to give lessons when I am available to take them. Hopefully that will work out some day!

For now I am going to try to keep playing daily. I look forward to learning more, especially finger picking! Aloha!

Welcome to the UU forums, and I'm delighted to hear that you've found such a wonderful instrument to learn on! That goes a long way to making it a joy to learn to play. Looking forward to hearing more about your ukulele journey as you care to share 😊

Greetings, UU!

I am very new to playing the ukulele. I bought my first one, a Makala MK-C, just prior to this new year and started learning with Andy Ukulele on YouTube. When my fingers were too sore to play I started reading all I could online about the ukulele and of course came across UU. This is my first foray into playing a stringed instrument. I played (still play a little) concert flute and dabbled in piano when I was much younger.

I have been lurking the forum and have learned quite a bit doing that. Thanks to the UU community for that!

I quickly developed a desire to purchase a handmade Hawaiian uke, and found myself perusing the ukes for sale at The Ukulele Site. I'm excited to say that my KoAloha Koa Concert Royal Pikake was delivered on Tuesday! It sounds so beautiful, and so now I am loving learning even more.

I became a member of Matt Stead's website and am working through the beginner course. I have searched for local ukulele instructors and am having a challenge finding someone that is available to give lessons when I am available to take them. Hopefully that will work out some day!

For now I am going to try to keep playing daily. I look forward to learning more, especially finger picking! Aloha!
Welcome!

If you can do it, I strongly recommend signing up for the Blue Ridge Ukulele Festival, May 3-5 in Morganton. Last year’s inaugural edition was fantastic. This one should be too. I think some space remains. Check it out!

Hi MelTheUker,, welcome to the UU Forum. Congratulations on your new Ko'Aloha concert. What a great uke.

The gatherings are usually quite welcoming. Check the schedule for classes for new players. it can be intimidating to go alone. But you can usually chat up other newbies in the seminars or at the performances that are put on. Some may be play-alongs.

Soak it in and have a good time.

I learned of this event a few days ago! I am definitely available to attend. But I'm also kind of intimidated. I would likely attend alone, as the hubby works mainly weekends. "The Unknown" is scary, you know?
I understand the feeling of uncertainty, but the festival last year was warm and welcoming and incredibly fun. If you prefer to get your feet wet by meeting some other players in a different setting, there’s a uke club in Hendersonville you might check out — HUG (Hendersonville Ukulele Group). They’re on Facebook and meet weekly:

Playing with others is the most wonderful way to share joy and improve your skills. Have fun with your journey and hope to meet sometime!

Rick

Greetings, UU!

Hi Mel, if your ever in Western North Carolina we have several active ukulele clubs. Marion Ukulele Society on Facebook, check us out. Were also having a Blueridge Ukulele Festival in Morganton, May 3-5, 2024. Happy Strumming 👍

Hi Mel, if your ever in Western North Carolina we have several active ukulele clubs. Marion Ukulele Society on Facebook, check us out. Were also having a Blueridge Ukulele Festival in Morganton, May 3-5, 2024. Happy Strumming 👍
Wow, I live in Rock Hill, SC and just got into learning ukuleles. I did not know about the ukulele society in Marion. That is great to know.

Top Bottom