Anyone out there prefer nylon strings over fluorocarbon?

Interesting. I very recently tried New Nylgut on my new Pono soprano. As I mentioned, I think it masked the tone a bit too much for me even though the feel was great and the sound was otherwise ok. I have a set of Aquila Lava strings I might try since they're supposed to be identical to Super Nylgut other than the looks of course. Would be interesting to test whether I hear a difference. I'm a bit vary though because my biggest issue with Super Nylgut in the past has been the harsh feel of them. D'Addario Nyltechs would be an interesting test as well but they are much more expensive...

I find it interesting that so many brands and builders use only fluorocarbon these days. And it's not just certain big name manufacturers, almost every luthier I've come across strings their ukes with fluorocarbon. I would actually welcome it if more brands used nylon straight out of the box. I know that you can put any type of string on any uke but switching from fluorocarbon to nylon means that you often have to widen the nut slot and I just can't be bothered to do that every time I fancy a string change...
Do you find certain ukulele more suitable for nylon than fluoro ?

Top Bottom