Banjolele and a 4 string banjo?

Bibs

Reaction score
I've never seen one, What's the difference?

Can not really talk about a four string banjo, but a banjo uke(banjolele) is tuned the same as a ukulele and is ukulele scale lengths.

Others will know a lot more about this, particularly anyone here who plays the banjolele. But I'll go ahead and offer that a banjolele is a ukulele that's shaped like a banjo. It's the size of a ukulele. Four-string banjos are, indeed, banjos, with steel strings. They are longer than banjoleles.

Google is your friend!
Search for Tenor Banjo and Plectrum Banjo, both 4 string varieties.
Tenors are tuned in fifths C, G, D, A, usually around 22 inch scale, used extensively in the rhythm section of early Jazz.
A variant of this is the "Irish" version tuned G, D, A, E, usually around 20 inch scale, used mainly as a melody instrument in Irish Traditional music.
Tune lower than the Jazz banjo, the G sting on the Irish is an octave lower than the longer scale version. The tuning increments (fifths) are similar to the mandolin and violin families.
Plectrum banjos have a scale length of 25-26 inches with "Standard" tuning C, G, B, D, though there are many tuning variations. A very simple explanation is that they are 5 string banjos with the short 5th string missing, and as the name suggests, designed to be played with a plectrum instead of fingerpicking.
Hope this helps,
Vintage

Thanks y'all. That what I wanted to know.

Top Bottom