Baritone etudes and arpeggios, are there any? Book recommendations?

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been using the few gcea etude and arpeggio lessons I have but it's only a few. I've been using "Allfor uke" bari tutorials.

Can someone recommend baritone uke books? I've found "3 chord songs for baritone ukulele" so far and I'm more interested in fingerstyle play.

Cheers.

UU member Ondrej Sarek has a quite a few baritone uke books, many of them specifically for finger-style (including etudes/studies). Below is a link to his products on Amazon. Unfortunately, there’s no way to sort the list, so you’ll have to scroll through the books listed on each page. Fortunately, the word “baritone” is usually mentioned in the book title, which allows for faster scrolling/scanning.

I got some prep-grade tabs for baritone from Mustafa Kamaliddin here and subsequently enrolled in the whole fingerstyle course which provides tabs for grade 1 through 3 as well, other than the lessons. I really liked the arrangements and I wanted to rework my technique. So far it is pretty hard for me to 'start over' with different left hand and right hand technique but better now than later.

The arrangements themselves are also usually free on his YT channel including the TAB in the video I think, e.g. the one that got me started.
Sometimes there is a baritone and a GCEA version (or a renaissance guitar version!) and not all of them have the TABs in the video so with youtube alone you might need to dig around a bit. But he has tons of videos, organized into playlists.

They all work for Low G and Baritone (the baritone tabs and the course have the correct chord names if that makes a difference but the fingering is the same).

Baritone can be played using tabs formulated for any linear tuning such as low g. There are countless fingerstyle books using a low g tuning in a variety of genres. You need not stick to only "baritone" tutorials.

UU member Ondrej Sarek has a quite a few baritone uke books, many of them specifically for finger-style (including etudes/studies). Below is a link to his products on Amazon. Unfortunately, there’s no way to sort the list, so you’ll have to scroll through the books listed on each page. Fortunately, the word “baritone” is usually mentioned in the book title, which allows for faster scrolling/scanning.

Wow what a prolific author/musician! Lots to choose from so I'll enjoy going through this! Thanks!

I got some prep-grade tabs for baritone from Mustafa Kamaliddin here and subsequently enrolled in the whole fingerstyle course which provides tabs for grade 1 through 3 as well, other than the lessons. I really liked the arrangements and I wanted to rework my technique. So far it is pretty hard for me to 'start over' with different left hand and right hand technique but better now than later.

The arrangements themselves are also usually free on his YT channel including the TAB in the video I think, e.g. the one that got me started.
Sometimes there is a baritone and a GCEA version (or a renaissance guitar version!) and not all of them have the TABs in the video so with youtube alone you might need to dig around a bit. But he has tons of videos, organized into playlists.

They all work for Low G and Baritone (the baritone tabs and the course have the correct chord names if that makes a difference but the fingering is the same).
This is awesome. I've noodled long enough I think I'm competent enough to participate and enjoy learning this. I've only ever run across MK's more complex materials (love his stuff btw); this looks right up my street!

Yup. That is what I do.
Thanks! I'll look at that as well! I've read posts hither and yon about "learning new chords" etc. with the baritone uke. It seems to me rather straight forward and not a huge transition. Learning the bari fretboard is fairly easy and I use the circle of fifths to shift chords. Adjusting to the size of the fretboard is a bit of a minor challenge for me.

I feel lucky to have found a baritone uke at a great price point of excellent quality with a 35mm nut width. It's already become my daily player!

Great question. Here's two resources for fingerstyle that I use:
1. https://www.ukuleletime39.com/ Written for low g but easily plays on the bari. I am a Patreon and can't believe the prolific production Yuji provides. I've found his work to be quite nice, if not overwhelming. He sends out 4+ songs per week.

2. Jeff Peterson's work: https://ukulelecorner.com/graded-repertoire-for-classical-ukulele-baritone/
Beautiful arrangements. Jeff also came out recently with a free delta blues fingerstyle that I've found to be quite fun. https://ukulelecorner.com/delta-blues-on-fingerstyle-ukulele/

There are other great resources out there, but I keep coming back to these two. Here's two examples - one from each work:
Kashmir on ukulele:
Valsa:

Top Bottom