Baritone restrung as a piccolo bass to accompany uke?

On a side note - cool Fez-o-rama, Dale!

Just restrung my Kala bari back to bass bari, with D'Addario EJ40s..silk and steel acoustic/ electric strings. Fuller sound and although the strings are a bit heavier, the lower tension negates any excessive tension. Really neat tone and sound and NOT like a guitar. I also found that my Honeytone amp out sounds my Pignose, which I was surprised to discover! This little amp sounds best with my acoustic/ electric as well. It does not fit in the bari bag, but does clip on quite nicely, making a really portable axe.

Well, here is an update.

The bari is holding up well, no problems with the heavier strings. The E string does not sit perfectly in the slot, which causes a bit of sharpness on the first three frets. This is easily compensated by detuning a bit so that the third fret is in tune with the octave up open G string.

Really neat sounding little bass, great with other folk instruments and you can just take a small battery amp instead of your bass amp. Much more portability and fun, when the gig or session calls for such a thing!

Happy New Year UUers!

Just restrung my Kala bari back to bass bari, with D'Addario EJ40s..silk and steel acoustic/ electric strings. Fuller sound and although the strings are a bit heavier, the lower tension negates any excessive tension. Really neat tone and sound and NOT like a guitar. I also found that my Honeytone amp out sounds my Pignose, which I was surprised to discover! This little amp sounds best with my acoustic/ electric as well. It does not fit in the bari bag, but does clip on quite nicely, making a really portable axe.

Thanks, Dale - I haven't been here in months, I'll look for a set of those for mine.

The experiment went quite well and is a nice alternative to the full UBass, BUT, the new Rumbler, because of it's EQ is usable on the smallest of amps, as you read on my other review. I no longer have a need for the bass bari, as The Rumbler provides that small footprint, but full bass sound, even on my Pignose 7-100 amp!

Top Bottom