Bending Wood - Ideas Needed

PVC is a dramatic misspelling of ABS ;). It’s a 4”-5” black pipe that I used to store glass cane in. Either way, the steam bender doesn’t get near too hot for it: it’s limited to the boiling point of water. PVC would likely soften at steaming temps, and I don’t think it comes large enough diameter.

Do a safety check before heating a galvanized pipe. At higher temps they can out has some really nasty stuff. I’m not sure if you’ll get that hot on a bender, but make sure or get uncoated steel. I picked up an aluminum baseball bat at Goodwill and cut off the end and handle

PVC is a dramatic misspelling of ABS ;). It’s a 4”-5” black pipe that I used to store glass cane in. Either way, the steam bender doesn’t get near too hot for it: it’s limited to the boiling point of water. PVC would likely soften at steaming temps, and I don’t think it comes large enough diameter.

Do a safety check before heating a galvanized pipe. At higher temps they can out has some really nasty stuff. I’m not sure if you’ll get that hot on a bender, but make sure or get uncoated steel. I picked up an aluminum baseball bat at Goodwill and cut off the end and handle

Thanks for the warning.

The recommended temperature for long term exposure is 392°F. Recommended bending temperature is 350 - 400°. I can use it outdoors with a good quality dual-filter mask.

Amazon has an aluminum bat "for self-defense." That's funny. I guess I could spend $20 to live a bit longer. :D

Last edited:
I'm putting this project on hold for a while. I'm spending too much time thinking and planning, and my brain is starting to hurt. There are too many variables, both in regards to bending the sides and how to design the tennis racket uke. I have accumulated five old tennis rackets, so I'll have to stop looking on eBay.

My post disappeared before I could post it, so I'm trying again.

I refined my form/mold and tried bending again. I put the wood n a pan of water on the stove at 150° for about half an hour, and then I bent it again, using a piece of flashing for backing. I don't think it will hold the bend, but I put it into the mold, and I'll leave it for a couple of days. I think I'm going to have to begin making a propane powered bending iron.

I thought I could also make the side less wide - maybe 2". In my last attempt, I put the curved side into the oval of the tennis racket, but the part hanging below the rim started to straighten, and it split. I thought I could also use the rim of a racket on the bottom of the side. I think the real solution is to heat it enough to bend it so that it stays bent.

Top Bottom