BugsGear FNS Colored Soprano (the guys who make eleuke)

TJ Uke

Reaction score

http://youtu.be/-UwEbkH-SxY

Features

Made in China

Meets body at 12th fret, A string goes up to 18 but probably not viable to use all the way up there with big fingers. Looks really cool though.

Laminate, with matte paint finish. Probably plywood but unspecified.

Generic open tuners.

Soft case included.

Sound

Using just the generic strings, surprisingly good. Not very nuanced at all but it has a lot of projection.

You'd instantly know which one was the cheap one vs. a high-end but against a mid-range you might have trouble especially if better strings are used.

Action, Fit & Finish

Small finish flaws exist as shown in my video but overall very smooth and nice looking. These aren't noticeable except at close inspection.

The action and playability surprised me, especially with my big meaty claws on a soprano.

Intonation isn't perfect up the neck but is easily tolerable, it isn't super far out and could probably be adjusted at the saddle. Much better
than some others I've tried at similar price points, for example even better than a friend's Blue Moon tenor we had to replace the saddle on.

Reliability/Durability

Its sound is slightly sterile, but that's probably because it's built like a rock. If you want a uke that could also be used to protect yourself in a mugging, this is it.
I think the finish adds to its strength.

Overall Rating

I would much rather have started out on this one than the one I did start on.

It's a solid instrument that is beyond just a novelty and will suit a beginner up until the point where they're ready to get a high-end uke - no stepping stone up from a toy needed.

The finish is perfect for an artsy person, kids or I believe a natural version is available as well.

Last edited:
Sadly I got "An error has occurred - Please try again later" :(

Sadly I got "An error has occurred - Please try again later" :(

I added the plain URL, does that help?

You're not missing anything crazy but it is a really nice, surprisingly good little uke IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom