Buyers Remorse Sort Of

powerharp

Reaction score
I'm a serious harmonica player and perhaps eventually a serious uke player. I wanted a traditional concert uke to kick around with and decided to use some "beer money" for the purchase. In English, my budget was $175, which, coincidentally, is the exact amount of the honorarium I received for participating in a focus group on....beer, of course.

I was fairly sold on a Luna Tattoo acoustic electric based on reviews and not on playing. Guitar Center's gigantic Hollywood store, they did not have the acoustic electric version, so I compared the acoustic version with Cordoba's entry level model 15CM. Both are $99 axes. I figured I'd buy a case and an extra set of strings and a low G string to replace the G on whatever I would buy.

Okay, the tone of the Cordoba totally blew me away. I went back and forth between the two and while the Luna sounds good, the Cordoba sounded special to me. I played it for 3 hours last night and wanted more when I awoke this morning.

Now, reality strikes. I was hoping to get an an acoustic electric beasty in concert or maybe soprano size. Cordoba's nearest is a tenor, but I have a tenor already (Applause UAE-148). Cordoba does not make one in a smaller size. So, after all of this, I'm considering exchanging the Cordoba and its case for the Luna acoustic electric which I understand comes with a case.

Suggestions? That may include referrals to neurotic shoppers' therapists.

Thank you.

Ukuleles like that at Guitar Center can be hit or miss. Sounds like you really love the one you got, and you love the tone. If you find one that calls you that much. You are better off keeping it. You can always add a pickup to a uke you love. I still regret not buying a lanikai I stumbled into at a guitar center when I was in there for other stuff. I went back later and it was gone. I have played others of the same brand and model in there, but none were ever the same.:2cents:

Ukuleles like that at Guitar Center can be hit or miss. Sounds like you really love the one you got, and you love the tone. If you find one that calls you that much. You are better off keeping it. You can always add a pickup to a uke you love. I still regret not buying a lanikai I stumbled into at a guitar center when I was in there for other stuff. I went back later and it was gone. I have played others of the same brand and model in there, but none were ever the same.:2cents:
Not to hijack the thread, but I had the same experience with a Lanikai koa laminate tenor at Sam Ash...played 3 different ones, same model, same day, and one just stood out heads and tails above the other two sound wise and fit and finish wise...so I bought it. I've acquired many other higher end ukes since that day almost 3 yrs ago but I still love that Lanikai. Still sounds and plays great and even has the original strings still on it...I'm afraid it might lose its mojo if I change them!

Anyway, I'd keep it Powerharp...if its got mojo you won't regret it!

Not to hijack the thread, but I had the same experience with a Lanikai koa laminate tenor at Sam Ash...played 3 different ones, same model, same day, and one just stood out heads and tails above the other two sound wise and fit and finish wise...so I bought it. I've acquired many other higher end ukes since that day almost 3 yrs ago but I still love that Lanikai. Still sounds and plays great and even has the original strings still on it...I'm afraid it might lose its mojo if I change them!

Anyway, I'd keep it Powerharp...if its got mojo you won't regret it!

Haha same here I have some significantly more expensive ukes, but I still think about that one.:D
I am glad you bought the one you stumbled on to. Definitely agree if it's got mojo keep it.

If you are able to take your harmonicas apart to clean and modify, change reeds, etc. you probably have more than enough skills to install a passive, internal sountboard pickup such as JJB, which are inexpensive and have a good reputation. The gutsy part is drilling the hole for the jack. Several tutorials and how to's online. Here's one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB2oi0tXX_E

Last edited:
Top Bottom