Chord changes high up the neck

barnstorm

Reaction score
Since picking up the ukulele again, I’ve taken it reasonably seriously and have eradicated some of the electric-guitarist habits that proved to be unhelpful, but one thing I continue to find awkward is swift chord changes high up the neck.

I’m using a concert almost exclusively, and the action at the 12th is fine by uke standards - under 3mm. But coming from an electric guitar background, the strings still seem a long way from the frets up there, and getting around while playing chord melody feels annoyingly clumsy even if I’m producing a pleasing sound.

Have you guys come across any exercises that might be helpful to me?

I don't know which chord shapes are giving you trouble, but one constant in learning an instrument and playing comfortably is repetition. Keep switching between chords until it becomes comfortable. Electric guitars are easier on the fingers, up the neck, than ukuleles. That will never change. But you can figure out the easiest way to change cleanly and comfortably between chords by doing it over and over. Notice which ways work best for you and concentrate on them.

I agree that at a certain level, it is what it is. You just have to learn to cope with the nature of the uke. However, I also overcome my problems by avoiding them. There are certain chord shapes that bedevil me, so I shun them by knowing my options. I'll either play the same chord with its root on a different string or if for example, I don't want to play a certain B7, I'll see if I can play its tritone substitution, F7, or if I can use a different chord quality such as a B7b9 or a B7#5.

As others mentioned it is the nature of uke and being able to play there is part of skill development. As for myself I recall some successful and wise guitar players saying that there is no money in playing above the 5th fret.

As others mentioned it is the nature of uke and being able to play there is part of skill development. As for myself I recall some successful and wise guitar players saying that there is no money in playing above the 5th fret.
...which is to say there is no money in playing ANYWHERE on the ukulele...an instrument equivalent to a guitar with a capo fixed at the 5th fret, minus a pair of the better-paying strings. :LOL:

I don't know about the money aspect, but I mostly play between 7th and 15th frets because those voicings are easier for me and the spread isn't so broad. My favorite scales are higher up the neck and that's just my happy place. It is a relatively rare occasion for me to visit the lowest frets. And with my cigar box guitar, the lowest frets do not intone well because I am using a threaded bolt as the nut

Thanks very much @Bill1 . I'll try adding that to my routine for a while and see where it gets me.

I accept that a uke with a 15in scale is never going to play like a Strat – I'd just like to get to a place where its limitations in this one regard annoy me a bit less. Simply learning and playing pieces I enjoy doesn't seem to be getting me there as quickly as I'd like, so some more focused practice seems a good idea.

Top Bottom