D-tuning query

Reaction score
Hi! I've recently got a nice Martin replica soprano (Flight Mus-2) and I'm interested in try D tuning on it. I'm concerned with its neck leaning forward. Can sopranos handle the extra tension?

If you tune regular strings meant for C tuning up to D tuning the difference in tension shouldn't be significant so a well built uke should be ok. I certainly wouldn't have any doubts with the Flight uke you have. The bigger issue is usually that playing those higher tension strings can be more difficult. You can have a go at it but it might feel uncomfortable. I would definitely suggest some low tension strings for the job, such as Worth CLs or BLs, or string sets that are specifically meant for D tuning. For the one uke I have that's tuned to D, I use D'Addario clear nylons and I like them a lot. GHS has both nylon and fluorocarbon sets meant for D tuning, as does Aquila if you prefer nylgut.

D'addario have a good tension calculator that's fun to play with:

http://web.daddario.com/StringTensionPro/Search

Their Nyltech strings for a standard soprano configuration in C tuning give a total tension of 22.57 pounds. For comparison, their Titanium strings in the same soprano configuration give 28.23 pounds of tension. That's 25% more tension, just switching from one standard string at standard tuning to another! The Nyltech strings tuned up to D bring you to 28.43 pounds. Not much different than the Titaniums.

Moral of the story: string tensions already probably vary more than you expect from set to set. Tuning up or down one or two semitones isn't usually going to put you at any danger of being outside the range of what would be typical, unless you're already starting with very high tension strings.

For comparison, a tenor with nyltech strings comes in at 44.27 pounds of tension. A tenor neck is usually not any beefier than a soprano, and it's longer, so the strings have a longer lever to bend. Yet we don't routinely hear about tenors having neck issues from string tension. If anything, a neck is usually not the place where a failure shows up, but rather the soundboard will start to warp - the bridge will twist forwards under tension causing the belly between the bridge and soundhole to sink. If you have an extra-delicate soprano and you're worried about this, you can just stick with lower tension strings to begin with and tuning to D will be completely fine. And it's pretty easy to check across the soundboard with a straightedge to get an idea of any issues, a few hours or days after putting new strings on. Probably a good idea to check now to get a reference point, since it's pretty typical for all ukes to have at least a little bit of belly cave, so measure with "known good" strings to get an idea of what you're starting with.

You can get strings intended for d tuning...but also you can just tune up. It's fine. Go with what sounds best.

Top Bottom