New Uke Day (NUD) DDNUD: Double Delayed New Uke Day: Koa Fluke + Takumi TS-1K

CPG

Reaction score
Took delivery of both these lovely instruments earlier this week.

I definitly didn't need a forth soprano, but I couldn't resist the Takumi that was listed in the Marketplace last week. I had previously owned a Takumi TC-1M (Mahogany Concert), and since selling it had always wanted to try a soprano. This is a nice addition to my little soprano family. It has a fantastic voice that somehow sounds 50% vintage and 50% modern. It's a distinctly different voice and feel than my Pohaku or Weymann which is what I was hoping. Amazing playability and the 14-frets to the body and extra frets will come in handy for certain pieces. Really beautiful in person too.

As for the Fluke, I was thinking about ordering a koa or spruce top one direct from MFC and stumbled across a too good to pass up listing for an older one (from their New Hartford days) and snapped it up. I was pleasantly suprised when it arrived in a nice Fluke branded hard case too. I had always wondered how I would feel about a solid top Flea/Fluke since for me half the point is the bombproof nature, but this thing is AWESOME. YES, the solid top 100% gives it a different tone. Fuller, woodier, sweeter, more like a solid wood instrument. I was happy to be able to grab this for a good bit less than a new one, not knowing how I would feel about it, but now that I've tried it I would not hesitate to buy another at full price. Yes, it still has a bit of that MFC sound, but all makers have a bit of their own sound, and I think would hold it's own against a lot of sub $1k all solid instruments. It's really good. I had never played a Fluke (only my flea) and was pleasantly suprised by how much I love the feel too. I did initially have to get used to the body shape, but literally found it super comfortable after the first day. The smaller body and 12-frets to the body make it feel like a smaller instrument. Despite the tenor scale it feels more like a concert too me while still sounding like a tenor. Seriously, if you've ever considered one of these and been on the fence about whether or not the solid top was worth it. IMHO, YES, 100%, I really really like this instrument. Oh, and it still feels pretty damn bombproof!

Attachments

• IMG_6306.jpeg
    IMG_6306.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6281.jpeg
    IMG_6281.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6297.jpeg
    IMG_6297.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
It pleases me to know that the Takumi is in eager hands. 😁 Enjoy your honeymoons (plural)!

Congratulations! I have a concert Fluke that I can't put down. It's a great sounding uke and ton of fun to play. I don't know if you've tried the grip strips on the back, but they were a total game changer for me. I wish I could put them on all my ukes! 8^D
Enjoy your new additions!

Reactions: CPG
It pleases me to know that the Takumi is in eager hands. 😁 Enjoy your honeymoons (plural)!
It’s really nice. Between the Takumi, the Pohaku and the Weymann it’s the easiest playing. The other two are both very well setup but I almost immediately found that I was hitting little jumps a few frets up the neck more accurately with the Takumi. Not sure if it’s the neck, the different proportions because of the 14 frets to the body, the string spacing, the action, or what but it is so easy playing. The Pohaku is a little louder and tonally still my favorite of the bunch but the Takumi holds its own. Less of that warm middsy spank and punch but its got that more airy, sparkle, refined sound that sounds better finger picked than most sopranos. I really wanted a soprano that would work well for classical pieces and I think this is perfect for that (or course it’s great all round too)

Congratulations! I have a concert Fluke that I can't put down. It's a great sounding uke and ton of fun to play. I don't know if you've tried the grip strips on the back, but they were a total game changer for me. I wish I could put them on all my ukes! 8^D
Enjoy your new additions!

Thanks! I have the strips on my Flea. They are so great and I’m definitely going to order some and stick them on this.

Last edited:
You write like a wine critic! I’ve often noticed that descriptions of ukulele voices sound like descriptions of wine tastings.
I’m training to be a sommelielele.😉

[edit: for those who don’t get my hilarious joke. A sommelielele is he ukulele version of a sommelier]

Last edited:
Love your Takumi soprano. I like my tenor very much. I think they are beautifully made and a true joy to play. With a Japanese sound that is bright, yet very sweet. Congrats.

You have a very nice collection going. It'a fun to have different instruments with different voices to choose from.

Reactions: CPG
Love your Takumi soprano. I like my tenor very much. I think they are beautifully made and a true joy to play. With a Japanese sound that is bright, yet very sweet. Congrats.

You have a very nice collection going. It'a fun to have different instruments with different voices to choose from.
Thanks! I like having a few different ukes but if they aren’t different enough from each other I kinda get hung up on it and end up selling. It’s not easy to find a soprano that is different enough from the Pohaku and Weymann and that can hold it’s own against them. They are both such sweet sounding little cannons. Having previously owned a Takumi concert I was familiar with the more airy, shimmery tonality. That combined with the 14 frets to the body and increased fret count made confident that it would make for a great compliment to my others. I’d had sorta half kept an eye out for a Takumi soprano ever since I sold my concert. Almost didn’t jump on this one but I’m glad I did. I’m currently at 6 ukes total (which is 2 more than the self imposed limit of 4 that I stuck to for a long time), but as of now these ones all have a place and each has specific things I prefer it for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom