Dear beginner

clear

Reaction score
You have picked the right instrument. Only a year ago, I was a uke newbie too. This is an instrument that you can pick up and learn a song on the same day. The learning curve is very gentle, i.e. just a little effort on your part opens up large amounts of possibilities in songs. And, more important, this gentle curve is very long-lasting compared to most other instruments.

The hardest part is resisting the urge to upgrade within your first month. Try to resist it because, after only a month, you don't really know what you really want in a uke. Play that first uke for at least 3 months, or maybe even an entire year before you shop.

You have picked the right instrument. Only a year ago, I was a uke newbie too. This is an instrument that you can pick up and learn a song on the same day. The learning curve is very gentle, i.e. just a little effort on your part opens up large amounts of possibilities in songs. And, more important, this gentle curve is very long-lasting compared to most other instruments.

The hardest part is resisting the urge to upgrade within your first month. Try to resist it because, after only a month, you don't really know what you really want in a uke. Play that first uke for at least 3 months, or maybe even an entire year before you shop.
Also, don't feel bad if you can't pick up a uke and learn a song on the same day. I am slow, so it took me many months of practice to get to that stage. That's OK too.

Thirdly, calculate how much time you practice the uke. Then calculate how much time you spent on the internet. Then flip the numbers. Practice with the time spent on the internet and vice versa. In short, make music more than you read about making music.
I need to read more about this technique.

I started shopping two months after buying a "beginner" uke and figuring out that I wanted to play chord melody. The intonation was not good and I ended up spending $1k for a KoAloha. No regrets.

It really depends on what your financial situation is and what you first purchased and where you are headed with your playing. Long ago, when a dollar was worth at least fifty cents, I spent over $1k for a trumpet for my son who was in middle school. I am still somewhat surprised at how cheap ukuleles are.

Top Bottom