Easier Transition to Guitar

rlgph

Reaction score
Recently i changed the tuning of my baritone uke from matching the first four strings of guitar standard tuning (DGBE, low to high) to matching the middle four strings (ADGB). I've now had several weeks of experimenting with this tuning, and am convinced that it is probably the most natural choice for those uke players who wish to transition to guitar, particularly those who want to eventually go to alternating bass fingerstyle (usually called, inappropriately, Travis picking).

(Note if you're going to try this on your baritone, you would be going to a lower tension, and needn't worry about damaging your uke; though if you decide to keep it there, you would probably want to go to somewhat heavier strings -- like the middle four strings of an E to E guilele set.)

Guitar players can finger chords the same way as they do on their guitars , simply ignoring any fingering they would do on the first and sixth strings. All the common first position chords are the same with these four strings (with root, 3rd, and 5th notes), with one exception -- the D (and Dm) chord is modal, with no 3rd. Nevertheless, it sounds sufficiently close to D major or minor to be satisfactory in most folk songs.

The picking hand thumb can alternate between the root and 5th (or 3rd, in the case of a C chord) on the third and fourth strings on most common chords, with G being fingered like an F two frets up. (You can also get an acceptable G chord on the open strings 1-3, alternating the thumb between strings 2 and 3).

For the uke player, the chord fingering will be a little different, but once learned, the transition to guitar will be easier than from DGBE, unless you've been consciously using guitar appropriate fingering (rather than using the easiest choice for baritone uke DGBE).

Last edited:
Recently i changed the tuning of my baritone uke from matching the first four strings of guitar standard tuning (DGBE, low to high) to matching the middle four strings (ADGB). I've now had several weeks of experimenting with this tuning, and am convinced that it is probably the most natural choice for those uke players who wish to transition to guitar, particularly those who want to eventually go to alternating bass fingerstyle (usually called, inappropriately, Travis picking).

Guitar players can finger chords the same way as they do on their guitars , simply ignoring any fingering they would do on the first and sixth strings. All the common first position chords are the same with these four strings (with root, 3rd, and 5th notes), with one exception -- the D (and Dm) chord is modal, with no 3rd. Nevertheless, it sounds sufficiently close to D major or minor to be satisfactory in most folk songs.

The picking hand thumb can alternate between the root and 5th (or 3rd, in the case of a C chord) on the third and fourth strings on most common chords, with G being fingered like an F two frets up. (You can also get an acceptable G chord on the open strings 1-3, alternating the thumb between strings 2 and 3).

For the uke player, the chord fingering will be a little different, but once learned, the transition to guitar will be easier than from DGBE, unless you've been consciously using guitar appropriate fingering (rather than using the easiest choice for baritone uke DGBE).
Hmmm. Never thought of that. Thanks.

I think it's cool that you are having success with your plan.

I would have thought for alternate picking you would be focusing on EADG.

I think it's cool that you are having success with your plan.

I would have thought for alternate picking you would be focusing on EADG.
With EADG the G chord would be better, but the A/Am would be modal rather than D/Dm. I find that i use Am more than Dm, so i prefer to have a true Am. Also, many people think that a low E on the fourth string is not as tonally sweet as a low A on a baritone size instrument.

However, a bigger problem is that to use all 4 strings to play B7, C, and F would require different finger placement than on the guitar versions. With the four baritone uke strings tuned like the middle four guitar strings, the finger placements on the uke strings are exactly the same as corresponding fingers on the middle four guitar strings. Thus, you wouldn't have to change finger placements on any of the first position chords between the two instruments.

Although this could be done with DGBE tuning, you would need to plan carefully while looking at guitar chords, because the natural fingering in DGBE does not use the same fingers on the same strings as in some of the guitar chords. In addition, the DGBE tuning does not readily have the appropriate alternating bass notes with the picking thumb for first position A, B7, C, E, or F chords.

I play guitar and uke and don't think this is valuable. I for one use the two E strings a lot, for soloing, bass lines, or for drone effects. I don't think that "transition" is a good approach but rather a waste of time for an additional concept. If someone wants to add guitar to their uke skills then they can just do it based on the knowledge that they already have from uke. Which can be plenty.

Cool idea! I’m always in favor of experimenting like this. 🙂

I play guitar and uke and don't think this is valuable. I for one use the two E strings a lot, for soloing, bass lines, or for drone effects. I don't think that "transition" is a good approach but rather a waste of time for an additional concept. If someone wants to add guitar to their uke skills then they can just do it based on the knowledge that they already have from uke. Which can be plenty.
If you already play both, i agree that it is not worthwhile for you. I suggested it because my impression is that there are a significant number of uke players who want to play guitar, but who have been frustrated trying the conventional wisdom of doing so via a DGBE tuned baritone. It is a plausible way to get a sense of whether a common technique for playing guitar -- alternating bass -- is something you'd like to do, without having to buy a guitar first.

BTW, you could do something similar with a tenor uke. Changing its tuning to DGCE would enable you to finger chords the way you would on an A to A tuned guitar (or guilele).

Playing a uke requires a different approach to music than does guitar -- one that i'm sure can be every bit as fun and valuable as playing guitar. Having tried a uke, i do not considerate it a lesser talent in any way -- just different. However, for myself, as a guitar player who is not a uke player, the ADGB tuning is a fun way to utilize the small, comfortable size of a baritone ukulele with the guitar skills i already have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom