Fremont Blackline Medium Strings

DaleR

Reaction score
So, from advice from Mike at Uke Republic, I bought a couple sets of these. My Fluke was sort of dead sounding and these strings really changed the voice! I also installed them on my black dolphin, which also greatly improved in sound. What are your experiences with these strings?

got them on my Kala Archtop tenor..only strings that sound good on her.. love them for this uke.. Living Waters on the rest of my brood.

I have Fremont Blacklines (High G tuning) on my Pono ATD. The tension is too high for me. As a new player I think that they are hard to play and make my tenor sound harsh, too guitar-like. I'd want to lower the action if these were my only strings. Next up in the rotation: Worth Browns, Ko'Olau Alohis, and have just ordered Living Water Strings.

I have a lanikai concert monkey pod which has a thicker than average top, plus is dense wood. I keep on coming back to the fremonts mediums. They are the best feel / sound good strings I have found for that one so far.

Have a set of Low-G (unwound) on my Lanikai Spalted Mango Tenor. The only brand that really brought out a great tone.

I have a lanikai concert monkey pod which has a thicker than average top, plus is dense wood. I keep on coming back to the fremonts mediums. They are the best feel / sound good strings I have found for that one so far.

I agree with Van, my lanikai tenor monkey pod always had such a nice harp-like tone from fremont strings!

P.S. Aquila red series are pretty equal leveled with fremonts on my ukulele

I have Fremont Blackline HT on a Kamaka soprano and Kamaka concert. Both sound very good.

The biggest difference I noticed is when I put Fremont Blackline MT on a 2009 KoAloha soprano and 2010 KoAloha concert. Liked them much better than the stock strings. But just received a 2013 KoAloha concert and the stock strings sound good, really good.

Last edited:
I love Fremont blacklines on my Ko'olau koa concert. Sweet and clear. I've had a set on there for months and they show no signs of loding any of their sparkle.

I just put some on my Kala Pineapple at the suggestion of Paul December. I am really liking them so far. The sound is much clearer than the Aquilas I had on there previously. It even seems a little louder. I had heard that fluorocarbon strings were harder to play for beginners, but I found that not to be the case. I've built up pretty good callouses from practicing a lot, though, so YMMV. Overall, highly worth the 8 or so dollars. :)

Top Bottom