Fret lifted & electrical wires

hapiel

Reaction score
Hi guys
I bought a cheap uke, concert acoustic with amp. Regular price: €150, my price: €50.
Why? Because it is broken.
Well, not exactly, 2 frets are slightly higher than they are supposed to, they popped out of the fret board, and my g string is buzzing if I hold the first fret (second fret is lifted) or making the sound of the 17th fret while holding the 16th (17th is lifted). I don't care much about the 17th, I hardly use it and it will be hard to fix because the fretboard is already on top of the body there.
However, I can imagine that the second fret would be fixable, and because it was so cheap I would like to do it myself.
I heard this process involves smacking it with a rubber hammer, does anyone have experience with this, and can explain me how?

A secondary problem is that because it is a pre-amp pickup, there are wires going from the amp to the thing where the jack goes in (how do you call the output thing?). These wires need to be in a certain position, or the uke sounds like an electric while playing accoustic, because it rattles :p. Would you fix this with tape, or try to shorten the wires, or what?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Hapiel

I would take it to a luthier who can fix the problems and spend the 75 to 100 Euros it might take to make this a worthy 150 Euro uke.

No free lunch, my friend...and you're likely to screw it up even more by hammering away at it.

I love these cheap-ass ukes that represent a livelihood for working luthiers... We're talking job security here for my brethren...

Those 'brethren' of yours learned it some way too right? I guess they hammered on a cheap guitar by guidance of a professional, so why can't I?

Top Bottom