How Do You Pronounce ....

How do you pronounce that clampy thing one uses on the neck?

• Kay-po

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • Kah-po

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some guy from the US has a patent, but capos had been in use two hundred years before that. As said before, capo comes from the Italian word capotasto. Capo meaning head and Tasto meaning key, tie or fret. So Kah-po would be the original pronunciation. But in English we say Kay-po because Britania rules the waves and The President of the US is the leader of the free world...so, basically, like Eric Cartman, "we do what we want." It is the same with Ookaleyley and Yukalaylee. No disrespect to Italy, It's just how we say it in English.

In my little corner of the southern Appalachian US, I’ve often heard it pronounced “clamp”. :ROFLMAO:
As in,
“Lessdewthis-un-in-B!”
“Hole-oan-lemme-git-mah-clamp!”
“Iduntoleyataclipittuhyerpaighed!”

Last edited:
Kay-poe

Because there is only one consonant after the A, the A is long - "kay." It's like the difference between "diner" and "dinner."

One odd situation is with "Nikon." IN the US, we say "n-eye-kon." The rest of the world says "nee-kon." We are right; the rest of the world is wrong. 🤣

Because there is only one consonant after the A, the A is long - "kay." It's like the difference between "diner" and "dinner." One odd situation is with "Nikon." IN the US, we say "n-eye-kon." The rest of the world says "nee-kon." We are right; the rest of the world is wrong. 🤣
In the US we pronounce a Toyota Prius Pr-ee-us, in the UK they pronounce it Pr-eye-us.

It's been Americanized.
I blame the Eye-talians...
I think the first time I heard “eye-talian” must have been when Archie Bunker said it on All in the Family. Without ever hearing it spoken I assumed it was “kahpo”. Then I heard it spoken so now I say “kaypo”. I just went with the flow on that one unlike the popular pronunciation of ukulele. My screed about that appears in the thread discussing its pronunciation.

Top Bottom