How many members on this board prefer playing a soprano, and why?

Like many posters, I quickly came to see the soprano as the 'real' ukulele and, being a bit of a traditionalist, became obsessed with having one.

This is after two concerts for my first two ukes - the first a decent laminate, the second a gorgeous AAA koa cutaway.

So then I got my soprano - a Pete Howlett custom in all indigenous British woods - cherry body, alder neck, 3000 year old bog oak finger board. And oh MY!

Instantly I knew that the soprano was the uke for me. Of course, that decision might in part be because the Pete Howlett is such a magnificent instrument. But size does matter!

I play invariably standing up, with my sop tucked under my arm. Again, I have snobbishly decided that the uke should be played whilst standing, and that straps are the Devil's work! Tuners should be friction, and side-protruding geared tuners on a sop are an abomination!

I almost never play my lovely koa concert now, becasue all I want to do is play the soprano. I'm not sure that will change...so it's soprano all the way for me. I can admire the amazingly impressive twiddy stuff that the pros play on their tenors, but is that really playing an ukulele? Not for me!

Ben

Ben, you are not a real ukulele snob until you insist on playing your soprano only with gut strings ! Check out Gamut Music.

As much as I've come to LOVE Mr. Barry Tone, if I had to give them all up but one the keeper would be my Martin 0. Can't imagine being without a soprano.

Sopranos only for me. Anything larger is cheating .

I love playing my sopranos for jazz standards. That "jangly" Martin sound as Peter Forest describes it is so old-timey and classic.

Thanks, man! hehe The soprano is still my favorite for most of the songs I do. I love that high intensity sound while strumming and the slow, resonant slides. Just beautiful. The Martin style 2 soprano is simply amazing without the flash, and the elegance of the 3 cherry keeps me coming back. They are my favs.

Petey

I order a couple of dolphins for my 2 daughters and I have been playing them like the end of the world was near. I only have a tenor but these are awesome.

I see great benefits in playing a soprano. The smaller frets teach you a dexterity and finesse that is then easily achieved on a concert.

Check out this guy doing a whole 18 min Abbey Road medley on soprano –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaDADJ0O73U

That is inspirational on any sized uke, but soprano? Wow.

My most recent acquisition has been a Kiwaya KS-1. Learning to keep the friction tuners tight but not too tight has actually been fun for me. It is good practice too, because even though these are not the best and smoothest friction tuners, they work just fine and hold the instrument in tune (with itself at least) for several days.

I will say strings that are too loose and floppy on a soprano aren’t fun. Conversely, stiff strings on larger sizes can be painful. I put D’Addario Nyltech on the Kiwaya and love the mellow sound. I have Martin flourocarbon strings on the Mainland concert and dig the chime. The tension on each right now is very good. I like both sizes equally; some songs work better on one than the other for me. For example, I’d much rather play “I Got You Under My Skin” on the concert.

In theory, soprano is my favorite. Why? Check out that video!

Thank you for the youtube link; and I agree, what a great video!!

Thanks, man! hehe The soprano is still my favorite for most of the songs I do. I love that high intensity sound while strumming and the slow, resonant slides. Just beautiful. The Martin style 2 soprano is simply amazing without the flash, and the elegance of the 3 cherry keeps me coming back. They are my favs.

Petey

Petey,

I'm glad that you responded to my e-mail thread. I have been enjoying the uploads to your youtube channel for a little while now. I really like the extensive reviews of your Martin ukuleles, and I have to admit that I am a little jealous :). I am originally from Pennsylvania, and grew up not too far from Nazareth, before moving to North Carolina. Martin has a very long history, and still builds some truly fantastic instruments.

Brian

Last edited:
I have a mid-range model of each size, but it is the soprano that "works" best for me. The sound, the feel, the tension, the unique character of the instrument -- it is the combination of all of these. When and if I get a custom one, it will almost certainly be a soprano, too.

All soprano for me. I have owned concert/tenor/bari and only have soprano's left. It is the "sound" for me that keeps me hanging on...:D

BTW, I have large hands but the soprano size uke causes me no problems. I play daily (if only for 5 minutes) and that, I believe, helps me overcome the "big hands-small fretboard" thing.

I'm a tenor guy...but still do love my concert and soprano. Although my concert hasn't gotten much love lately :(

I've never played a soprano, so I ordered my first one a couple of days ago :) . I'm definitely looking forward to playing it, and if I enjoy it, then my UAS is bound to get worse!

The only soprano I've owned is actually my 3-year-old's pink cheapie Mahalo we got her for her 2nd birthday. While I don't like the sound it makes, I really enjoy the feel of the scale length. (It's also a lot quieter than my concert KoAloha, making it better for playing at night when the kids are asleep!) So my next uke will be a much higher quality soprano. Looking at Brukos and Sailor Brands right now.

All soprano for me. I have owned concert/tenor/bari and only have soprano's left. It is the "sound" for me that keeps me hanging on...:D BTW, I have large hands but the soprano size uke causes me no problems. I play daily (if only for 5 minutes) and that, I believe, helps me overcome the "big hands-small fretboard" thing.

I'm contemplating to sell my tenor and concert too, partly because they are just more things that sit around and take up space, and partly to reduce the temptation to switch around between them. For a beginner, or a relative novice at least, I think it is better to stick to one size. Perhaps not "better", but more efficient and "easier". Fretting on the soprano always feels a little harder after I spent time with the tenor.

I originally thought that frequently switching between sizes leads to greater flexibility, but I'm not so sure of that anymore. It seems to be almost like a mini version of learning two instruments at the same time.

Top Bottom