Kala flamed maple, mainland red cedar or classic mahogany???

Which one would you choose?

• Kala flamed maple concert uke

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Mainland red cedar concert uke

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Mainland classic mahogany concert uke

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

kaizersoza

Reaction score
i am in a bit of a dilemma and i need your advice, i have been waiting on a mainland red cedar for a while now and whilst waiting two other ukes have caught my eye, they are the mainland classic mahogany and the kala flamed maple with spruce top, i want a concert size, has anyone out there got any experience with any of these ukes and if so can you share them with me, also if you were me which of these ukes would you buy?

thanx

kaizersoza

I choose the Red Cedar because it is suppose to be a mellower sound than the maple and you already have a mahogany uke. I don't have hands on experience with any of them other than the Mainland Mahogany which is a great uke. I too want the mainland red cedar.

I have the Kala FMC, love it for it's punchy and bright voice. Not suitable for all songs for my taste is why I have several concerts of different woods and tunings. Good luck in your quest....................BO................

As has been pointed out, 3 different sounding ukes. You already have a mahogany one, that leaves 2. Bright and Punchy vs mellow ?

its looking like i may have to buy 2 ukes, the red cedar and the flamed maple, been in touch with Mike at mainland and the red cedars won't be in until at least september, this will give me time to save a little money, thanx guys

I have the Kala KA-FMSLN, flamed maple with solid spruce top longneck soprano. It is really loud and has a cool bark to it. I have it strung low g and it always impresses me everytime I play it. I would recommend the spruce top if you already have a mahogany.

Last edited:
i have ordered the flamed maple, but judging by the poll there is an overwhelming vote for the red cedar, so as soon as they are available i will be buying one thanx for all your replies, but keep em coming coz i love to hear everyones opinion

Top Bottom