Knot stuck in pull thru bridge (enya nova u)

tangentialarts

Reaction score
Have an Enya mini nova u.
Pull thru bridge with a hole,
The sound hole is tiny slits.

Knot is too big. Won't come out when trying to remove. What do I do ..?

1st post, sorry if wrong sub.

Cut the string shake out the knotted end through the sound hole slits.

–or–

Push the string in at the bridge until a few inches still remain hanging out. (You can tie the end off with a paperclip or other item so it won't pull through. Rotate uke so neck is towards ground. Shake the body a few times. Use a straightened paperclip with small hook bent into the end, or other thin item to fish the string out of the body through the sound hole slits. Cut or untie the other end and pull string out through the soundhole.

It will be a little fiddly, but be patient and go slowly. you'll get it out.

Last edited:
So you're saying that the knot is so big that it won't come out of the hole at the bottom of the slit?
That seems odd.
Nominally when removing a string from that type of bridge arrangement, I would push the string in first to unseat/unbind it first, and then slide it down to the big hole and pull it out.
I suspect that the string knot is still bound to something underneath the top.

Hello,
One cheap and efficient way to solve this issue once and for all is to put on string beads on each string before tying the knot. Plus, the beads apply a more even pressure on the soundboard and avoid any snapping.
Hope this helps, regards.

Hello,
One cheap and efficient way to solve this issue once and for all is to put on string beads on each string before tying the knot. Plus, the beads apply a more even pressure on the soundboard and avoid any snapping.
Hope this helps, regards.
I'm not sure beads would fit inside the hole for the type of bridge the nova u has..

I think there may be some misunderstanding here about exactly how the Enya bridge is configured. Am I right in thinking it's slotted like this model?
IMG_5536.jpeg

As it does not have soundhole I suggest using a hole saw to cut an access port in the back to deal with issues like this and other maintenance.

I'd try a little soapy water.

Cut the string shake out the knotted end through the sound hole slits.

–or–

Push the string in at the bridge until a few inches still remain hanging out. (You can tie the end off with a paperclip or other item so it won't pull through. Rotate uke so neck is towards ground. Shake the body a few times. Use a straightened paperclip with small hook bent into the end, or other thin item to fish the string out of the body through the sound hole slits. Cut or untie the other end and pull string out through the soundhole.

It will be a little fiddly, but be patient and go slowly. you'll get it out.

Did this work? If not, maybe sticking a narrow, pointy exacto knife into the slot and carefully trying to move the knot around enough to free it.

Did this work? If not, maybe sticking a narrow, pointy exacto knife into the slot and carefully trying to move the knot around enough to free it.
A pin or a needle would be better. It's too easy for an Xacto blade to damage a plastic slot. A pair of needle nosed tweezers would also work. Anything that you could use to push the string down out of the slot so you can work it back to the hole to extract the knot.

I guess I misunderstood the bridge configuration. When I read it was a string-through bridge I was thinking of a much smaller hole & slot.

Last edited:
Accept my apologies. I wasn't aware your instrument doesn't have a soundhole, so you are right, the beads technique might not be for you. You need a soundhole to pull confortably the string out of the soundboard, put on a bead, tie the knot, then put back the string in place.
Good luck with your Enya.

Top Bottom