Learning to play

Mookulele

Reaction score
Hello!

I picked up the ukulele during lockdown and fooled around with it more than making a serious attempt at learning how to play it. Working to change that now and enjoying the progress I've made. Hoping to learn more and maybe join a club nearby.

Welcome to the UU forums! Definitely try a club! It's such a great way to learn, and a really wonderful opportunity to get to try some different ukuleles. Looking forward to hearing more about your ukulele journey.

Welcome to UU, Mookulele!
Wishing you lots of fun at the meeting in February!

Hi Mookulele, welcome to the UU Forum. Love your avatar. Makes me wonder if the cows down the road from my house would enjoy being serenaded? I know the deer that wander the woods behind the house just get annoyed and give me dirty looks before my playing and singing drives them away.

Hello!

I picked up the ukulele during lockdown and fooled around with it more than making a serious attempt at learning how to play it. Working to change that now and enjoying the progress I've made. Hoping to learn more and maybe join a club nearby.
Same here!! It'll be fun getting to get better at ukelele with other people at the same time!! 😁

I've got my first Uke Group meeting tomorrow night and it's just occurred to me that the uke I planned on bringing has no strap buttons. I had assumed we would be seated for some reason but now I'm questioning whether I should bring a uke with a strap. Event is at a local restaurant. Any advice?

Likely seated... but a strap is nice because often there are gaps between songs for multiple reasons and it is nice to be able to let go of the ukulele and not have to put it in its case or stand. But okay if you don't have one too.

Added: Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
First Uke Jam was a success! :D

I almost chickened out a few times and had a bit of difficulty finding the place (more opportunities to ditch!), but it was fine!

Got thrown into the mix essentially immediately because things were underway when I arrived and almost as soon as I tuned up, it was my turn lead a song. :eek: I'm still a beginner so I had prepared an easy one. I have not sung in front of other people (excepting the occasional small child) for 40 years, so that was daunting. Also, I guess they all expected me to sing the song an octave higher because there was definitely a bit of a surprised look when I sang the first bar. o_O I'm an alto/tenor who speaks higher than I sing and that surprises people sometimes. ;)

Got some points for picking a song in the theme and managed to sing and play almost free of mistakes! :cool:

It was fun and I did better overall than I would have expected. Now I see why everyone always recommends that you join a group/jam early in your uke playing journey. (y):giggle:(y)

First Uke Jam was a success! :D

I almost chickened out a few times and had a bit of difficulty finding the place (more opportunities to ditch!), but it was fine!

Got thrown into the mix essentially immediately because things were underway when I arrived and almost as soon as I tuned up, it was my turn lead a song. :eek: I'm still a beginner so I had prepared an easy one. I have not sung in front of other people (excepting the occasional small child) for 40 years, so that was daunting. Also, I guess they all expected me to sing the song an octave higher because there was definitely a bit of a surprised look when I sang the first bar. o_O I'm an alto/tenor who speaks higher than I sing and that surprises people sometimes. ;)

Got some points for picking a song in the theme and managed to sing and play almost free of mistakes! :cool:

It was fun and I did better overall than I would have expected. Now I see why everyone always recommends that you join a group/jam early in your uke playing journey. (y):giggle:(y)
This is so excellent!! Congratulations on overcoming inertia and persevering with your goal, and I'm delighted that you had such a great time :giggle:

Jamming with others is among life’s deepest and simplest primal pleasures. Much the same as fishing, even the worst, most disorganized, chaotic jam session is far better than a good day at work. Congratulations on taking that step outside your comfort zone!

Jamming with others is among life’s deepest and simplest primal pleasures. Much the same as fishing, even the worst, most disorganized, chaotic jam session is far better than a good day at work. Congratulations on taking that step outside your comfort zone!

Many, many moons ago, I was in an orchestra and a few competitive singing groups. It's been a very long time since I "performed" in front of any adult humans and even longer since I did so with very little proficiency. :oops: Making music with other people is definitely a lot of fun and difficult to explain to people who have never done so.

Welcome, Mookulele!
Congratulations on surviving your first group session. Most of us have, so the rest should be easier.
Were you seated or standing? Either way, the best option would be to just bring two ukes. :rolleyes:

Seated. Definitely need to arrive earlier next time so I don't end up on a backless stool for hours again! My back wasn't too happy about that seat, but it allowed me to see all the other players and no one who was patronizing the restaurant!

Also, I guess they all expected me to sing the song an octave higher because there was definitely a bit of a surprised look when I sang the first bar. o_O I'm an alto/tenor who speaks higher than I sing and that surprises people sometimes. ;)
Very cool! I used to sing in the community choir here in Sparta. I sing tenor/baritone and the person next to me sang tenor/alto. She helped me with my parts since I don't read music.

Glad you had a good time.

Top Bottom