Martin s1 question

What is this called, and where can I get one?
It’s a string height gauge. The one he’s using looks like the Music Nomad one, though there are many different ones out there:

Music nomad:

Dunlop:

Generic Chinese random branded one:

Stew Mac:

It’s a string height gauge. The one he’s using looks like the Music Nomad one, though there are many different ones out there:

Music nomad:

Dunlop:

Generic Chinese random branded one:

Stew Mac:
Don't buy the cheap generic ones. They are often cut crooked, making their accuracy terrible. The well known name-brand products seem accurate enough to me (for amateur users) if you can't afford Stew-Mac.

Last edited:
Some people prefer higher, but if you like your guitar at 2.25mm and think your S1 feels high then that is totally understandable. I don't like the feel of a uke when strings are higher than 2.5mm. If you rest a straightedge on fretboard down towards bridge, where does it point? It should hit around the bottom of saddle. If it hits too much earlier then possible the neck is bent with too much relief
I did it. It's about 2mm below the top edge of the bridge
1000007523.jpg
It looks fine as it is to me as I still have few more millimeters left above the bridge to file down the saddle, if I decided to give it a try.

Neck angle seems to be fine too.

The neck relief is there and I may try to go a bit lower on the saddle.
1000007528.jpg
Here the straight edge is sitting on the 1st fret (indicated by red arrow) and the next one it is sitting on is the last one #17.
All other frets have a gap (yellow arrows).

The 1st fret to the strings gap is about 0.18 mm on open strings and this is my buzzing risk area if I lower the saddle any further.

Perhaps it's good enough. I just need to get more time with the uke.1000007529.jpg

Top Bottom