Martin T1K

mlolya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a Martin Ukulele and I really would like a solid Koa. So I discovered the T1K.
I’m wondering what others have felt about this Ukulele. I saw Barry’s review and some others, but I’d love to hear any other opinions about the overall quality of this instrument.
There seems to be some feelings that it’s bright. Has anyone found strings for it that they would recommend? And I was wondering about how a low G might work on it.

I like mine. I have other ukes but it is still one of my favourites. I use Living Waters fluorocarbon strings.

I love my T1K. I have some Aquila Bionylon strings (high g) on it now, which sound great, but it mostly had Low G Aquila Lava strings, which are the same as super nylgut, I believe, but grey in color. The tone is rich and mellow, and they feel very nice on the fingers. I like it best with the mellower side of the string spectrum as opposed to fluorocarbon strings, but that is a personal preference thing.

I have Freemont blacks on mine after hearing them on another players T1K. As my hands become more arthritic, this one gets more playing time because it's easier to make chords.

I've had mine just over 6 months and it's gotten a lot of play time. I find the build quality to be very good. Mine required some fret dressing on the ends and I lowered the saddle. Both of those are personal preference, others may have played it as received with no complaints. Other than that, my only gripe is the Sipo fingerboard, I'd prefer rosewood or ebony. I don't understand why they put an ebony fingerboard on the T1 which costs less and Sipo on the T1K. That aside, it plays and sounds great.

Fluorocarbon strings are my go-to, but I found I prefer nylon on the T1K. I'm running D'Addario Black Nylon EJ53T's. They are high G and have a wound C string. The package says warm, dark tone, but I think they really balance out this instrument. I'm going to try a wound Hannabach low G on it soon, keeping the other strings the same.

The early one I had sounded great. If you are patient, you can find an older used model with the rosewood fingerboard, nicer than sipo. Also, the koa used for the bodies was often better looking than today's. Just be aware that the nut width is rather skinny at 34mm, some folks prefer wider.

I like my 2013 T1-K a lot. I bought it used, I'm the third owner, here in the Marketplace. I wish I had had one when I was first learning to play. You get a lot for the money.

It's got a nice all-around, woody sound. Yet the Koa is a basic grade and maybe a little thick, so it doesn't have a large amount of sustain. It's easy to play. And mine was well made in Mexico.

It's not the quality of a Martin 1T, even though the dimensions are very close. (I have a 1T IZ solid mahogany that is louder, richer in tone and sounds like an instrument that costs several times what the T1-K does.)

I enjoy playing it very much. I often take it to gigs and club meetings and it holds its own. I often grab it if I just want to noodle on a tenor for a short while. It's a good all-around player for both strumming and fingerstyle picking.

Thank you all for your feedback! Thinking about all those string ideas!

The early one I had sounded great. If you are patient, you can find an older used model with the rosewood fingerboard, nicer than sipo. Also, the koa used for the bodies was often better looking than today's. Just be aware that the nut width is rather skinny at 34mm, some folks prefer wider.
I'd been looking for an earlier example with rosewood fingerboard well before I bought my Sipo boarded one last July. I finally decided to just get one and continue watching for an older model. Just today I was perusing eBay and found an older model with a rosewood board listed and it looks to be in great shape.

The wood looks kind of plain, but so does my current one, so no big deal. I don't know what the SN equates to year-wise, but it's 11620. The one I have now is 21711, so quite a bit earlier it would seem. I hope it sounds and plays as good as the one I have now.

Image 12.jpeg Image 14.jpeg

Image 8.jpeg Image 13.jpeg

It's got a nice all-around, woody sound. Yet the Koa is a basic grade and maybe a little thick, so it doesn't have a large amount of sustain. It's easy to play. And mine was well made in Mexico.

It's not the quality of a Martin 1T, even though the dimensions are very close. (I have a 1T IZ solid mahogany that is louder, richer in tone and sounds like an instrument that costs several times what the T1-K does.)
Have you ever measured the thickness of the top on your T1K and the 1T? I was surprised to find the wood thicknesses listed for a Martin Custom Shop tenor I ran across. It said the top and back are sanded to .093" and the sides to .078". I'd be curious to see how much that differs from standard offerings. I should get my micrometers out and get some measurements.

The T1K I currently play has very good sustain. I thought it sounded a bit thin before I put the D'Addario Black Nylon strings on it, I wonder if they play a part in that.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a T1K that has nice wood. As several people have mentioned the Koa on most of the newer ones is nice but somewhat plain.
I just saw this one on Reverb at Haggerty’s which looks like it has some really nice wood.
I grabbed it and it’s supposed to come next week. I hope it’s as nice as the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5636.png
    IMG_5636.png
    450.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5639.png
    IMG_5639.png
    425.6 KB · Views: 12
I’ve been keeping an eye out for a T1K that has nice wood. As several people have mentioned the Koa on most of the newer ones is nice but somewhat plain.
I just saw this one on Reverb at Haggerty’s which looks like it has some really nice wood.
I grabbed it and it’s supposed to come next week. I hope it’s as nice as the pictures.
That's exciting! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Have you ever measured the thickness of the top on your T1K and the 1T? I was surprised to find the wood thicknesses listed for a Martin Custom Shop tenor I ran across. It said the top and back are sanded to .093" and the sides to .078". I'd be curious to see how much that differs from standard offerings. I should get my micrometers out and get some measurements.

The T1K I currently play has very good sustain. I thought it sounded a bit thin before I put the D'Addario Black Nylon strings on it, I wonder if they play a part in that.
No I haven't miked mine. It doesn't have a reinforcement plate around it. So it should be a simple measurement. Assuming that the thickness is uniform. I think my micrometer is packed for the move. I won't be able to dig it out.

Top Bottom