Middle-aged man picks up a ukulele and gets hooked

JukeManJole

Reaction score
Picked up a cheap ukulele my daughter got as a present from my sister and started strumming. Played it until it started breaking. Now I can’t stop.

Ended up getting an Enya Nova Mini U, and I am on my third set of strings now. Played them until I wore them out, which I am proud of. Finally mastered the D chord, to where I don’t even think about it. Still working on the E chord. Barre chords seem to get better the more I practice them. Trying to learn some classical, but it still sounds like garbage when I play past the 7th fret. (My barre chords past the 7th fret are worse than garbage). Playing high G.

I am not naturally musical, but I do have a tendency to repeat things over and over until I get them right. I actually enjoy this, so I have that going for me. I also had a ton of fun learning some basic theory, so instead of learning a new song, I have more fun transposing a song I already know to a different key. This has helped me memorize all the major and minor chords.

Not sure what to do next…….

LONG ramble below. Feel free to ignore. TLDR: What should I buy?

To be honest, I don’t like the way the ukulele sounds when I hear other people play it, aside from that one guy who demos all the instruments on theukulelesite.com. Hope that doesn’t offend anyone. I much prefer the sound of the acoustic guitar, but my daughter is just starting, and I just know that she would get demotivated if her dad started playing too. She has basically said as much.

However, I’m already invested in learning the uke, and I do REALLY like the smaller size and neck of the uke compared to the guitar. I’ve got small and fat hands (3” middle finger), and I know people say anyone can play guitar, but making the chord shapes and stretches for uke feels pretty effortless, and I like that.

Ultimately, I want to play music for my enjoyment, but I would also like the capability to play in a folk/country/bluegrass band after 5ish years of hard practice. I walked my this group of grey-haired gentleman playing some folk music at the market the other day, and I was just jealous. I’m almost never jealous. I can’t play the banjo or guitar at all hours of the day in my house because of the noise, but I can practice my uke late at night. (Thinking about a Risa stick plus pre-amp plus headphones to make it even quieter).

I’ve played the crap out of this Enya and would now like something a bit nicer. Considering the following:

1. Sticking with gCEA and buying a risa stick soprano or tenor to maximize practice time. Use all the practice time to actually get proficient at something and then reassess if I want to play a different instrument.

2. Buying a baritone uke. I’ve played some tenors at the shop and still didn’t much care for the sound.

3. Buying a tenor guitar. Would have to learn fifths tuning. I do love the sound, but it is bigger and I know I’d practice less. The Kalas look affordable and nice.

Last edited:
Also if anyone wants to sell a well-functioning soprano or concert risa stick with natural stain, please let me know. I can’t yet post a wanted add in the marketplace forum.

...To be honest, I don’t like the way the ukulele sounds when I hear other people play it, aside from that one guy...
This gave me a really good laugh this morning.
Welcome JukeMan, looking forward to more of your honesty.

Welcom to UU, JukeManJole!
All three options are good choices. Baritone gives you a different sound and if you can learn just as much as you would with a silent GCEA uke. Fifths tuning would be rather different, and you wouldn't necessarily be confident to play something if people handed you a uke....
However, there are many other tunings to opt for.

Picked up a cheap ukulele my daughter got as a present from my sister and started strumming. Played it until it started breaking. Now I can’t stop.

Ended up getting an Enya Nova Mini U, and I am on my third set of strings now. Played them until I wore them out, which I am proud of. Finally mastered the D chord, to where I don’t even think about it. Still working on the E chord. Barre chords seem to get better the more I practice them. Trying to learn some classical, but it still sounds like garbage when I play past the 7th fret. (My barre chords past the 7th fret are worse than garbage). Playing high G.

I am not naturally musical, but I do have a tendency to repeat things over and over until I get them right. I actually enjoy this, so I have that going for me. I also had a ton of fun learning some basic theory, so instead of learning a new song, I have more fun transposing a song I already know to a different key. This has helped me memorize all the major and minor chords.

Not sure what to do next…….

LONG ramble below. Feel free to ignore. TLDR: What should I buy?

To be honest, I don’t like the way the ukulele sounds when I hear other people play it, aside from that one guy who demos all the instruments on theukulelesite.com. Hope that doesn’t offend anyone. I much prefer the sound of the acoustic guitar, but my daughter is just starting, and I just know that she would get demotivated if her dad started playing too. She has basically said as much.

However, I’m already invested in learning the uke, and I do REALLY like the smaller size and neck of the uke compared to the guitar. I’ve got small and fat hands (3” middle finger), and I know people say anyone can play guitar, but making the chord shapes and stretches for uke feels pretty effortless, and I like that.

Ultimately, I want to play music for my enjoyment, but I would also like the capability to play in a folk/country/bluegrass band after 5ish years of hard practice. I walked my this group of grey-haired gentleman playing some folk music at the market the other day, and I was just jealous. I’m almost never jealous. I can’t play the banjo or guitar at all hours of the day in my house because of the noise, but I can practice my uke late at night. (Thinking about a Risa stick plus pre-amp plus headphones to make it even quieter).

I’ve played the crap out of this Enya and would now like something a bit nicer. Considering the following:

1. Sticking with gCEA and buying a risa stick soprano or tenor to maximize practice time. Use all the practice time to actually get proficient at something and then reassess if I want to play a different instrument.

2. Buying a baritone uke. I’ve played some tenors at the shop and still didn’t much care for the sound.

3. Buying a tenor guitar. Would have to learn fifths tuning. I do love the sound, but it is bigger and I know I’d practice less. The Kalas look affordable and nice.
Welcome! Get a baritone. Depending on your budget Kala has some decent ones in the $200-$300 range. Get wound D and G strings. It will be guitary enough to scratch that itch. But before you pull the trigger on the baritone you should try a low G strung tenor and see if that is something you like. The chord shapes are the same on both, just the baritone chord is 4 notes lower than the tenor for the same shape…C chord shape on tenor is a G chord on baritone. You may find you want both of them.

Well I borrowed my daughter’s guitar yesterday and put a capo on the 5th fret. Didn’t realize how much I liked the high G because I hated the low G when I was fingerpicking. No idea what that means for me. I’m all over the place. Maybe I’ll just stick to my plastic soprano. It will likely last longer than my lifetime. Maybe I’ll get a baritone and tune it dGBE.

If you don't like high g, then you probably won't like high d. Try tuning your baritone to low D, DGBE.

If you don't like high g, then you probably won't like high d. Try tuning your baritone to low D, DGBE.
Oh I was trying to say I DO like high g. The high four string of guitar with 5th capo is a ukulele with low g, and I didn’t like that. The experience made me realize I like high g.

Oh I was trying to say I DO like high g. The high four string of guitar with 5th capo is a ukulele with low g, and I didn’t like that. The experience made me realize I like high g.
I guess I need another coffee. Rereading your post, I feel a little stupid...but that is par for the course most of the time.

Welcome to the UU Forum JukeManJole. It seems to be quite common for people to buy a uke for a child and instead get hooked on it themselves.

I'm sure you will find the path you like best and go from there. Just remember to have fun while you explore.

Top Bottom