Modern version of a Favilla Baritone?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Considering mahogany baritones last week I ended up looking at the Ohana BK-35 solid mahogany baritone. Watching a video from Alex at SUS featuring Ohana baritones I learned that Ohana most closely follows the Favilla/Vega baritone design, rather than the Martin design. The scale length is a more comfortable 19.5" rather than the more typical 20" scale. The nut width is 1.5" (38mm) for more finger room. I've enjoyed and re-homed several Favilla baritones in the past. Decided to try the Ohana. The only other Ohana I have owned was a SK-38 many years ago. It was nice soprano.

I have to agree the Ohana BK-35 is very reminiscent of a Favilla, but with better tuners and no old crazed finish :). Feels, looks and sounds very nice for the price. No, it won't cause me to replace my Kinnard or Megowan baritones. But, it's a nice solid mahogany baritone at a low price point. Got me wondering about other modern mahogany ukes that might also be similar to the old Favilla baritones.

That's a nice instrument at a good price, Ohana are big bang for the buck. I am glad you like it Hodge as your vast experience with a lot of different ukuleles gives credibility to your assessment.

I have an old beat up Giannini baritone that I like but I've never played a Favilla though I've heard great things about them

Interesting. Currently I own 4 baritones. A Conrad, Favilla, Pono, and Ohana. I hadn’t thought about the ohana and Favilla being similar, but now that I’ve watched the video, I know why. On the one hand they are totally different as one is mahogany and the other spruce, but on the other hand, they both are loud and both are very easy to play - I guess that’s because of the shorter scale. For the money, I think the ohana is remarkably good. I have one with a cut away which is nice for playing with the capo at the 5th fret. My Conrad also is short, but it’s not in the same league as the others. thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom