My new saddle slopes, is this right? w/PICS!

wcjmason

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had recently taken my ukulele to the shop for repairs (cracking brace) and a new saddle. Upon getting home with I had noticed that unlike most saddles i have seen the saddle that had been put in slopes! i.ie is higher on one end than the other.

Is this normal? or should i take it back?

My uke is a tenor Lanikai curly koa if that helps

Help me UU, you are my only hope.

img0004pt.jpg

img0005qw.jpg

Last edited:
If it doesn't play properly, and it bothers you, get it set up properly. On the other hand, you may already have it set up properly, but I'm sort of doubting that. Of course, its a Lanikai, so you never know. That its koa (don't look too curly from the pics), says that it may be made elsewhere than usual (overseas), which is a good thing.

Personally, looks like you took it to a guitar tech.

Thanks for the reply, yes its not curly at all!

The saddle isnt the orginal (i think). You are right, I did take it to a guitar tech!
My strings (worth low g's) arrive in the mail tomorrow or the next day so I cant set it up yet to check but given all the uke saddles ive seen in my time (not many haha) it doesnt look usual and it doesnt look like the strings will be level with each other.

Last edited:
It's very common for guitar saddles to be lower on the treble side - the treb strings need less room to vibrate. If it works, it's good. It will probably give an easier playing feel as it is.

I believe your repair man is unfamiliar with a correct ukulele setup and perhaps modified a pre-slanted guitar saddle to fit your uke. It should be straight, not slanted. Very strange..

I believe your repair man is unfamiliar with a correct ukulele setup and perhaps modified a pre-slanted guitar saddle to fit your uke. It should be straight, not slanted. Very strange..

I have the impression that this maybe the case

Have your repair tech check the string height action at the 1st fret and the 12th fret on all the strings.
A good setup will typically have a slightly higher action on the bass side of the fretboard to allow for the greater movement of those strings.
That higher action on those string will happen with a higher string position on the nut and especially on the saddle.
This would typically make the bass side of the saddle a bit higher, but without seeing a good picture or having measurements it's difficult to determine what your repairman intentions were.

Where it might normally show a link to photos, I see two advertisements for a RainApp and "free iTunes $50 Giftcard".
Are these pictures something that doesn't work on a desktop PC web browser?

-Vinnie in Juneau

Where it might normally show a link to photos, I see two advertisements for a RainApp and "free iTunes $50 Giftcard".
Are these pictures something that doesn't work on a desktop PC web browser?
This is a five year old post. The original content is likely long gone from the server.
Image shack likely replaces missing content requests with adverti$ement$.

Top Bottom