New cause Guitar went Uke, Hello

Olduke

Reaction score
Hello, new here for about a week now, thought I'd introduce myself. About 44 years (hense 'olduke' & my tiki) ago, picked up a guitar (5 now) and a mandolin (unfortunately - still just a strummer though). Around Nov pu a beautiful 68 kamaka tiki, and for the last week been loving it. Man does that small tree sliver have a grand sound (all koa). Like most of you, I enjoy writing lyrics (two Uke songs this week) and finding my own tunes on the strings. I just went through your recent contest and enjoyed seeing some of the talent on this site. Still getting used to the site. Thanks for all the talent, sharing your time/skills/tips/posts and helping out your fellow ukes.

Attachments

• 20180117_145050.jpg
    20180117_145050.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 29
Welcome from the Eastern end of Virginia.

My first soprano is a gold label Kamaka (my Avatar pic) and I have a white label tenor. How were you able to date yours? No dates in mine.

I also do a little woodworking.

Thank you. Didn't see where I could 'like' ur response and clicked on the bottom right little quotation marks, then unclicked because I wasn't sure what that did. Can u not click on a 'like' tab when someone sends you a comment (where they aren't typically looking for a response) to acknowledge the post? Or is that what those ' "+ ' is for? Thanks again.

20180124_004843-picsay.jpg
@KamakOzzie you've got obviously two great ukes. Can't view the pic very well given the avatars are pretty small. If not too much trouble post the pics of them. I'll be hunting down a tenor & possibly a baritone down the road. Picked up a Savannah SB-110 yesterday and it's a hoot. Pondering a ligjtly used electric (you know the type with that cheap pickup thingy mounted on the body) Kala KA-KTE-C today with a laminate (rep says laminate is udually better at no feedback (not sure that's true, but made since)) Koa top for around $115.
I contacted Kamaka (they've been in business over 100 years) in Hawaii via phone and they gave me all the info I could ask for from a manuf. Told me the sail like flare on the head stock versus a crown shape with the (ireplaceable clay tiki) was only done in the year 1968. That style they said was up through 1971 (but not the tiki and the sail shape). Also that the finish was the Nitrocellulose laquer and a resin was used for glue. Also that this model was all Koa including frets. When I asked about care they said my 'MusicNomad The Guitar ONE' was fine to keep it conditioned (even though the bottle says for gloss only. Just put it on my electric polished metal everything and it rocked its finish. Most frets I'll still use oil conditioners. Haven't done it yet on the Kamaka, but probably plan to. The guy at Guitar Center and Sam Ash both hailed it as a great send saying they put it on everything. Though I'm not a fan being a woodworker of wax (may be different since this is the hard Brazil car wax type stuff) they say it's great. The contact person at Kamaka is Tekla 1-808-531-3165. Or her email: tekla@kamakahawaii.com. Hope this helps.

Thank you. Didn't see where I could 'like' ur response and clicked on the bottom right little quotation marks, then unclicked because I wasn't sure what that did. Can u not click on a 'like' tab when someone sends you a comment (where they aren't typically looking for a response) to acknowledge the post? Or is that what those ' "+ ' is for? Thanks again.

I never really knew whether the + notified the person that their comment was liked, but I just did it to this post. What does it show, if anything?

I never really knew whether the + notified the person that their comment was liked, but I just did it to this post. What does it show, if anything?

The quotation mark with the + sign is for multiple quotes like this post.
Clicking the posts you want to include replaces the + with a check mark. Then click the "reply with quote " and type your reply as usual. It will highlight the posts you clicked and show your reply below.

Screenshot_2018-01-27-14-23-55.jpg Peace. Train don't see where it made any difference. This attachment os a screen print. Where we would be able to tell if it did anything, is if you get a notification with out me putting your name or @ sign. In another forum i'm in dealing with fig trees, you can click on subscribe and get notifications when someone posts to it. Was just wondering if there was a way to do that here. Let me know if you get a notification of this post or just checked back on it? Recon a little research in the forum would answer that also (just haven't had time).

@KamakOzzie took the words out of my mouth. I was thinking the same thing about a Kamaka Soprano. Has the room for the frets for like F and D (if 3 fingered) on your saprano? I may also have Tenor and Baritone in future. Would enjoy seeing a full figured view and knowlege of materials on yours after they get back with you.

The quotation mark with the + sign is for multiple quotes like this post.
Clicking the posts you want to include replaces the + with a check mark. Then click the "reply with quote " and type your reply as usual. It will highlight the posts you clicked and show your reply below.
@KamakOzzie Thanks Bill, that clears that up. Glad to know how that works. So I guess there's no way to like a person's post (acknowledge what they said) short of responding back via a reply?

Top Bottom