NUD thread for everyone who received their East-Start arch-top ukulele

I was looking at the spacing on the strings. Are 2 and 3 closer together than 1-2 and 3-4? Or is it just the pix?

Drep - You're correct, on the list I'm have, you ordered a red one. When Simon asked me for an updated list to confirm each order last Thursday, I sent him my list and I have that email showing your order as a red one. Crap, and more crap!! I'll email him now that they have to send you the correct one but he will not see it until late tonight when they get to work.

Mike and all, sorry I've got to head out now BUT I don't mind holding onto it...see if someone gets mine by mistake and just do the exchange that way (person to person). Getting Simon inolved will probably open up a real can of worms. If he mistakingly made me a green one. No biggy. You do what you think best.

The Alida I mentioned on the other other thread will be on all the ukes.

Drew - That's very good of you, but I do want Simon to know that not only did they make the mistake (who knows how many more), and that SF Express has not gotten many out of China yet, it may be another 4-5 days.

The three people who ordered green ones are in Vermont, Ohio and London. If London gets yours, it's only right that East-Start pay the shipping to make the exchange.

(I'm not happy at all, obviously this is the down side of ordering like this.)

I was looking at the spacing on the strings. Are 2 and 3 closer together than 1-2 and 3-4? Or is it just the pix?

I would not rely on those photos for any details.

Also Drew, many times the bridge on an arch-top floats and you may be able to square it up, but the angle could be a way to control intonation, I've seen that on many string instruments.

Last edited:
I would not rely on those photos for any details.

Also Drew, many times the bridge on an arch-top floats and you may be able to square it up, but the angle could be a way to control intonation, I've seen that on many string instruments.

But the angle on the tailpiece should not matter, right? Only the angle on the saddle, since that is the node. Or am I ignorant of something (which is quite likely and, in fact, occurs with great regularity)?

I wonder if there is a not-green uke waiting for me in Hong Kong? What an adventure this is.

Poostsie - I think Drew is not sure which is called the tailpiece and which is the bridge. His tailpiece does look crooked. There are screws on the tailpiece and the bridge, which I assume are for adjusting tension and height, not sure if it will have an effect on a crooked tailpiece. Maybe just loosen the strings and see if the tailpiece can be squared up.

Again, just really quickly looking at it, I thought the bridge looked crooked, but it appears that there are a couple of nuts on the bridge "tail piece" (not sure of the correct term) that need to be adjusted to align the whole thing. Hopefully that's all there is...

ES arch tail bridge.jpg

Last edited:
Well mine has returned to showing the tracking info, but as of the last date, yesterday, it is still in Hong Kong. :(. I'm hoping I don't get a green one. ;)

Full Coverage across Mainland China without 3rd Party Involvement
Track Result Details
Status >>
Tracking No Date
Time

Status Location E-mail subscription (The latest shipment status within three days available!)
902050648291 2014-04-20 05:00:59 Shipment depart from Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre ,will be sent to the next station Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre HONG KONG Email Subscription
Air Waybill Information

Historical status

Date
Time

Status Location
2014-04-18 18:11:23 Pick-up SUZHOU CITY
2014-04-18 18:33:46 Shipment depart from Suzhou Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Suzhou Distribution Center SUZHOU CITY
2014-04-18 20:55:39 Shipment depart from Suzhou Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Shanghai Distribution Center SUZHOU CITY
2014-04-18 22:36:21 Shipment arrival at Shanghai Distribution Center SHANGHAI CITY
2014-04-18 23:58:35 Shipment depart from Shanghai Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Shanghai Distribution Center SHANGHAI CITY
2014-04-19 02:53:01 Shipment depart from Shanghai Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Shenzhen Distribution Center SHANGHAI CITY
2014-04-19 12:42:59 Shipment arrival at Shenzhen Distribution Center SHENZHEN CITY
2014-04-19 15:48:44 Shipment depart from Shenzhen Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre SHENZHEN CITY
2014-04-19 21:27:41 Shipment arrival at Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre HONG KONG
2014-04-20 05:00:59 Shipment depart from Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre ,will be sent to the next station Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre HONG KONG

Shouldn't this thread be called "The I'm tracking my order and hoping it is correct" thread and not NUD? Looks like only one person has had NUD and it was the incorrect order.

Shouldn't this thread be called "The I'm tracking my order and hoping it is correct" thread and not NUD? Looks like only one person has had NUD and it was the incorrect order.

You're absolutely right. I was premature in setting up this thread, didn't anticipate these kind of problems. Too anxious to get mine and I jumped the gun. My apologies.

Well mine has returned to showing the tracking info, but as of the last date, yesterday, it is still in Hong Kong. :(. I'm hoping I don't get a green one. ;)

Full Coverage across Mainland China without 3rd Party Involvement
Track Result Details
Status >>
Tracking No Date
Time

Status Location E-mail subscription (The latest shipment status within three days available!)
902050648291 2014-04-20 05:00:59 Shipment depart from Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre ,will be sent to the next station Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre HONG KONG Email Subscription
Air Waybill Information

Historical status

Date
Time

Status Location
2014-04-18 18:11:23 Pick-up SUZHOU CITY
2014-04-18 18:33:46 Shipment depart from Suzhou Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Suzhou Distribution Center SUZHOU CITY
2014-04-18 20:55:39 Shipment depart from Suzhou Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Shanghai Distribution Center SUZHOU CITY
2014-04-18 22:36:21 Shipment arrival at Shanghai Distribution Center SHANGHAI CITY
2014-04-18 23:58:35 Shipment depart from Shanghai Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Shanghai Distribution Center SHANGHAI CITY
2014-04-19 02:53:01 Shipment depart from Shanghai Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Shenzhen Distribution Center SHANGHAI CITY
2014-04-19 12:42:59 Shipment arrival at Shenzhen Distribution Center SHENZHEN CITY
2014-04-19 15:48:44 Shipment depart from Shenzhen Distribution Center ,will be sent to the next station Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre SHENZHEN CITY
2014-04-19 21:27:41 Shipment arrival at Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre HONG KONG
2014-04-20 05:00:59 Shipment depart from Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre ,will be sent to the next station Tin Shui Wai Distribution Centre HONG KONG

Haha Phil...

you can look at the tracking numbers in a couple ways...
in China they keep track of their shipments a lot better than the US Post Office(I worked there)...the USPS has only about 4-5 scans before it reaches the final PO for delivery...
or they giving you a big run around.... :)

I hope you get the right color uke too....

Nope. I entered this group with the idea that this would be an adventure, with a decent payoff, and possibly a great payoff. The first part has come true already. In another week or two, I will see if the second or third parts come true.

I picked out an EastStart uke that I wanted, but I am not discouraged at all. Our NJ colleague may be able to trade his for another.

In China, there is something called the legend of the red thread. In this story, you are connected to the people most important to you in heaven before you are born by a red thread. The thread is cut when you are born, and you spend your life looking to retie it. Adopted kids from China are called red thread babies, as all of us adoptive parents believe we got exactly the right child.

So let's just call these red thread ukuleles.

I know what the bridge is..I wasn't sure what the "tailpiece" was called...but I guessed right. THe bridge itself seems square to the strings, etc. THe tailpiece is what's askew AND has two nuts on top sides for adjusting. I'm going to "fiddle" with it a bit later when I get home (I have outrigger practice (myself) tonight AND coach my daughters crew team). I'm off tomorrow and it's supposed to rain in the afternoon....I'll do a lot more experimenting tomorrow (though not too much for I don't know if this uke is going to continue to be mine)

Oh, and BTW, if you look at the pic that Mike posted labeling the bridge and tailpiece, the 2nd & 3rd strings are closer out of the tailpiece THEN they appear to even out at the bridge. I'll check that tonight.

Last edited:
Drew, who actually delivered your uke to your door? UPS, Fedex, USPS, DHL ground? Yours probably flew direct from Shanghai into Newark.

Don't know who exactly came to my door. I wasn't home. From the labels it's all SF Express. Came into JFK in NY THEN looks like PHL (Philly). Looks like it shipped out (left) on April 18th

Well, considering my previous luck in raffles and such never thought mine would be one of the first to arrive. It's a NUD! And I think it's the right one. I'll spend some time with it tonight and let you know for certain.

And oh by the way, my tracking says it's still in Shanghai.

Well, considering my previous luck in raffles and such never thought mine would be one of the first to arrive. It's a NUD! And I think it's the right one. I'll spend some time with it tonight and let you know for certain.

And oh by the way, my tracking says it's still in Shanghai.

exciting!

may i ask which type did you order (single/double cutaway? tailpiece? color?)

and where are you located?

Sorry but iPhone photos are all I could do tonight.

Some observations:

Looks to be the brown color rather than the red shown in their photo.

Only four frets have markers vs the six shown in their photo.

The pickups are black vs the white shown in their photo.

Everything else matches pretty well except the Kamoa logo and Alida sticker we knew about.

I did find a few knicks like the one pictured (on the side of the headstock). And the fretboard seems to have sanding scatches which I also tried to get a picture of.

I found the little spring (pictured) rolling around on the inside of the uke. I hope it's not part of one of the pots.

Don't have time to plug it in tonight. I did tune it up and there seems to be a few intonation issues up the neck. I haven't adjusted anything. The frets themselves are fairly tall and somewhat difficult to slide over.

Mine also came thru JFK in NY and then thru Philadelphia. Not sure who delivered it as I wasn't home. I live just outside Washington, D. C.

esu-j584-rd-01.jpg

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

Top Bottom